CBK Hunstanton Kitesurf Club

Berwick-upon-Tweed to Southend ~ Local info and chat.
ears
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:11 am
Location: Norfolk
Contact:

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:21 pm

vandino wrote:
thetrash wrote:I think the fact that you started a "club" at Hunstanton shows how little you know of the area, the facilities and the people that ride there.
They're likely to tell you, the local kiters are rallying to the cbk cause. Which you know is rubbish. New people to kitesurfing may be ignorant of the fact that cbk DON'T actually own the beach.
as per the above several posts. if you read what has been written - the majority of people joining the growing CBK club are new to the sport, so therefore by default you are correct, the local kiters are not rallying to the CBK cause. I did not expect that to happen because they were not my target market. I really think that you are missing the point in this conversation.

New comers to the sport only have to read the sign leading to the beach at Old Hunstanton to understand CBK do not own the beach. At no point do we say to new club members or potential club members that we own (or any different variant) the beach. They may well come to us a little ignorant to everything kitesurfing in the area - but they certainly leave knowing the full story.
thetrash
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:08 am
Location: east

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:51 pm

ears wrote:
thetrash wrote:I think the fact that you started a "club" at Hunstanton shows how little you know of the area, the facilities and the people that ride there.
complete and utter BS.

Ive been Kitesurfing the whole Norfolk coastline for the past 6 years +. Because I do not get involved too much with people that choose to openly try and stop someone earning a living from the sport they love and have a passion for... and because a lot of people are not open to 2 businesses of the same nature being in one town...... this constitutes knowing little about the area, facilities and the people that ride there.

It is not difficult at all to understand the facilities in any area.

As for the people that ride there.... they are kitesurfers with a passion for the sport I enjoy, that is enough for me. Evidently it is not enough for some people that I share their passion, which to be honest is EXACTLY why we wanted to create an inviting club for people to feel like they are part of a community. Sometime ago I joined another club and wasnt spoken to once.... the club never contacted me..... there was no emails of events...... there was no "checking" in to see how club members were etc etc. That should be the type of club you put in " " because all they were doing was take money off people and did nothing for the money that I paid.
Who's trying to stop you?

You lack knowledge otherwise you'd have just opened up "Ears kitesurf shop/school" to run alongside the other shop and schools the operate there and no one would have cared, it's a good thing to have another kite shop locally. Instead you joined forces with CBK(and the baggage that comes with that), post a link to your clubs website stating there will be no self launching/must have insurance, state those who don't have insurance don't care. If it wasn't aimed at the locals why link it on here?

Why isn't the club called Hunstanton Kitesurf club or something similar? it's all about selling gear.
vandino
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:34 am

thetrash wrote:
ears wrote:
thetrash wrote:
Who's trying to stop you?

You lack knowledge otherwise you'd have just opened up "Ears kitesurf shop/school" to run alongside the other shop and schools the operate there and no one would have cared, it's a good thing to have another kite shop locally. Instead you joined forces with CBK(and the baggage that comes with that), post a link to your clubs website stating there will be no self launching/must have insurance, state those who don't have insurance don't care. If it wasn't aimed at the locals why link it on here?

Why isn't the club called Hunstanton Kitesurf club or something similar? it's all about selling gear.

This to me has got to be the be all and end all of the argument. Maybe me and the trash are on the same wave length. There are many that would say that CBK has done OK for Hayling and the kitesurfing community but my gosh, there are many that despise the situation. For sure Mr. Fuller would have been welcomed open armed by the locals at Hunny as have all who start up there. Looking back over the years, many have co existed with no tension or getting bad mouthed on the internet so why didn't the new venture start without the cbk umbrella ella ella. Does he really think Bully has that much cred?

Whats said on here won't do damage to his venture obviously and if one or two stopped replying then this would probably fade away BUT its like a two way game of tennis. You send me the ball and I'll send it back.

Earlier, I was asked, had I kited at Hayling on a Spring tide. Only since 2003 when cbk was a glimmer in bullys imagination and he was working for Phil but windsurfed the spring tides from 1980 something.

"Membership fee's from April 2014 will be £80.00 which gives you a whole host of benefits." For the life of me, I cannot see a 'whole host of benefits' at Hunstanton. 3 free days at Hayling worth £45. To who? No one I know for sure. A sofa to sit on and a SUP. £80 !!!
Will_R78
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:35 pm
Antispam: No

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:38 am

I've been sitting in the background here, reading these posts, but finally thought i'd pipe up and say my bit...
Although I haven't been around kitesurfing as long as some people I know around hunstanton, (this is my 3rd summer), I'd like to feel that I've a fair understanding of the area.

If i go back to the beginning of the thread, there are several issues I would like to comment on. Looking through the nice shiny 'magazine' rob has put together, I'm left wondering as to the benefits of the 'club' (I will comment at this point that i'm a member of the sailing club, so have to draw comparison with the benefits of that - sorry)
so here we go,
CBK club rash vest - can't say I've ever seen anyone out in one... Vs sailing club - I tend to know active members by sight, so recognise them without the need of a rash vest.
10% discount - yep, get that as well from some local shops as part of membership / friendship through the club.
3x1day passes (you have got me there), but with the array of local beaches, I've never felt the need to go travelling that far to find a beach if there is wind.
organised demo days, again 1 up to cbk, although I guess i've been lucky that the guys as hunstanton watersports and kite-kit have let me borrow stuff to demo.
Access to equipment- CBK wins again. unless you want to count the half dozen club sailing boats, windsurfers or sups that are available to members at the sailing club.
beach management - I can't actually remember seeing anyone from CBK being on the beach as a designated launcher / lander / first aider.. I'm pretty sure this is where the 'buddy' riding system wins out.
SUPs = draw
Chill out area - The sailing club has to win with that one... now the weathers a bit warmer and the bar is open regularly, there have been some pretty good nights at the club with acoustic music, bbqs and the bar, or just chill on the sofa with a coffee watching the sunset and chatting, it all works.
use of the shop to change - Again the sailing club wins hands down, it has proper changing rooms, toilets and even showers! I've also tried to pop into the shop several times, but as there doesn't seem to be any regular opening hours, and every time i've headed past, the lights are out and nobody is home, i've had to keep going.

moving further past the adverts, and onto the topic of beach guidelines.
I think the insurance issue has been done to death already in this thread, but is seems a bit of a no brainer to me to not have bksa cover... its probably one of the cheapest bits of kit you have, but worth the most if you ever have to rely on it.
where are the marked out areas - again, I've never seen flags or marshalls from CBK on the beaches? I've always stuck to the general area around the sailing club / car park at lestrange, and as long as you are using common sense and plan things a little, I've not seen an issue... I'm prettys sure the best demo day was also set up the cliff side of the RNLI access strip, and not in your designated launch / land zone.
I especially like the last line, and perhaps it could be clarified as a non member of the CBK club... 'Support non-members for launching / landing but no club benefits can be permitted' I've not seen this type of arrangement before... the way i've seen it working on the beach so far is to launch / land / help anyone who needs it if you are close by and able to help regardless of club membership or not- pretty simple really, and I would hope that help would be available if needed and not denied just because I don't have a rash vest on.....

I think the last double page of the 'magazine' brings me nicely onto a post made by ears / rob where you have said
Sometime ago I joined another club and wasn't spoken to once.... the club never contacted me..... there was no emails of events...... there was no "checking" in to see how club members were etc etc.
I would ask you, what have you done with and for that club?
In the last 20 years, i've been a member of several clubs and organisations, and there is one simple observation i've made - "the more you put in, the more you get out" if you don't spend time at the club, get to know people, and make friends, then there is no point being a member of any club. Most clubs are run by volunteers, and it is those people who spend time and effort trying to make things better for the many. If you can do a little bit (maybe an hour here or there when you are waiting for the tide or wind), then everyone benefits. Stay as a loner, and you are the only one that loses out.

Looking at the posts about CBK over the last couple of years, it seems to me that the issue isn't about there being another school / club in the town (there has always been 2 or 3 schools, and a couple of retailers selling kit).. The issue is more about the perceived way that CBK has landed in the town and started to try and dictate how things should work, and has got the backs up of many people ... maybe rob should learn to not say or do anything that is likely to draw fire?
ears
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:11 am
Location: Norfolk
Contact:

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:50 am

Well guys..

its been fun but I will stop playing tennis and just concentrate on making some money in the best way and the cheapest way I think possible.

I appreciate people's original concerns about CBK being in Hunstanton - but none of the original problems people had, have come to fruition as per my original responses - I understand some people will not see the value in the club or want to pay anything to be part of the club. That is fine.

Have a good summer and hopefully you will get some good sessions in.
vandino
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Well that has to be the best non reply reply Ive read in a long time. OK matey, personally I wish you well and hope things turn out well for you. I have no axe to grind with yourself. I actually did look for the shop on Saturday but couldn't find it. I was going to pop in and say hi, have a sit on this sofa and test out the cbk hospitality. :-D
thetrash
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:08 am
Location: east

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:50 am

I'll carry this on too, every time I'm in Hunstanton the CBK shop is shut and there is no beach Marshall hanging around the beach. So what's the plan then for CBK members? Drive to Hayling because if they are on their own and everybody else is on the water they aren't allowed to self launch. There's no point in them waiting around because they can't get to sit on the leather sofa because the shop is shut.

Also clubs are about being all inclusive with the more experienced members sharing their knowledge with the newer inexperienced members. But that can't happen with your club because their are no experienced members and anyone with experience won't join because it offers nothing for anyone who knows the area and kiting in general.

Tell me again that you didn't try to get exclusivity at Old Hunstanton(I've heard the rumours about the approach to the council or landowners) and your club is a hangover from it? Because we all know and I think you probably do as well the club is a pointless exercise.
vandino
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:01 am

I agree with most you say Trash but Mr. F came out and said it on his last post. "its been fun but I will stop playing tennis and just concentrate on making some money in the best way and the cheapest way I think possible. ". Its about money. Take a guy with no experience and CBK Hunny is aimed at these guys. It was said so earlier. I doubt they would join for a second year. As quoted "the majority of people joining the growing CBK club are new to the sport," The growing CBK club ?
Tell me again how many there are at Hayling. How many has Bully given the privilige to ride at one of the UKs premier spots ? Imagine if CBK wangled the rights to Hunny and only 150 people were allowed there. Absolutely disgraceful. Great if you're one of them I spose.

My advice would be for Mr. Fuller to ditch CBK and all it stands for and go it alone. Way more acceptance into the kiting community as a new business. Hayling are now charging £130 a year BUT you get to experience the kiting in offshore condition safely :-D My experience of Hunny council tells me they are massively encouraging toward new water sport business.
User avatar
JGTR
Posts: 3221
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Saaaaaaaaarfend, innit geeza

Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:32 am

How many has Bully given the privilige to ride at one of the UKs premier spots ?
At a guess I would think it is far less than the number he has stopped from using it.

Not sure privilege is the correct word to use. Considering anyone could ride there before CBK it should read how many have been forced to pay to ride....

Pay to ride......now there's an idea, taxing kiters!
vandino
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Just as a side stat. Over 110 views of this thread in less than a week. People my not be posting but they're certainly reading it.
C4C
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: south UK
Contact:

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Heading east :( to see the in-laws this sunday, gutted im going to be on the wrong side of the Uk with this storm tbh. Whats the sketch with Huni? do I need to be a CBk Member? Day Pass? or can I just come down?

ideally id like some waves if you have any over there?? lol. But flat n windy is just as good as long as I can get wet...
JohnM
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:21 pm

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:56 pm

C4C wrote:Whats the sketch with Huni? do I need to be a CBk Member? Day Pass? or can I just come down?
You can just come down :-)

There's no obligation to join any club in the Hunstanton area

Sunday is a big low tide at 13.30 and at the moment forecast SE in the morning then going more S / SW midday onwards. I'd say your best bet would be New Hunstanton itself 1pm onwards - very windy and very flat (no waves i'm afraid) - you can park in the pay and display area on the prom :wink:

More local info and beach guides from the local BKSA affiliated club here:

http://www.hunstantonsc.co.uk/kitesurfing-guidelines/
thetrash
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:08 am
Location: east

Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:00 pm

So it's started, a person has asked if they need to be a member of CBK to Kitesurf at Hunstanton. The sooner they leave the better.
vandino
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:54 pm

Well, I popped over to Hunstanton on Saturday and thought I'd nip in to see the boys at CBK. Have they gone? It looked deserted. I couldn't even see the sofa. Maybe they've realised that Hunny isn't the pot of gold they imagined. I guess it sort of helps to have the locals on side. :-D
Post Reply