Kitesurf Armarda going ahead in Offshore winds

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
Post Reply
BrightonSurf
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:31 pm

I just saw that the Kitesurf armarda is going ahead in what the Met office forecast to be a marginal NNE wind. Seems like a bit of a wild call to me!
nimo
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:29 pm

what could possibly go wrong ? hundreds of people in the water, marginal offshore winds........Oh yeah, I see.
Safety_Crab
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Director of Forum Bureaucracy

From the International Kiteriders Association Instructor Handbook - 5thEd Addendum

"Following debate at the 2012 summit it was concluded that 'Offshore' is in fact a matter of perspective and that the majority of students will at some point come across land, thus rendering the wind 'Onshore'. If the distance to land is greater than 10 nautical miles from the entry point the student must be provided with suitable equipment and necessary skills for 3-4 days survival. Teaching in offshore wind is not recommended where the distance to next land fall exceeds 200 nautical miles"
lucie
Posts: 2031
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Calshot

Think how flat the water will be in that offshore (?) wind will be! :) :)
JGTR
Posts: 3221
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Saaaaaaaaarfend, innit geeza

Safety_Crab wrote:From the International Kiteriders Association Instructor Handbook - 5thEd Addendum

"Following debate at the 2012 summit it was concluded that 'Offshore' is in fact a matter of perspective and that the majority of students will at some point come across land, thus rendering the wind 'Onshore'. If the distance to land is greater than 10 nautical miles from the entry point the student must be provided with suitable equipment and necessary skills for 3-4 days survival. Teaching in offshore wind is not recommended where the distance to next land fall exceeds 200 nautical miles"
Here's my perspective....that's the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard, whoever included that in a "kitesurfing handbook" should be shot.....or set adrift for 4 days.
BrightonSurf
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Safety_Crab wrote:From the International Kiteriders Association Instructor Handbook - 5thEd Addendum

"Following debate at the 2012 summit it was concluded that 'Offshore' is in fact a matter of perspective and that the majority of students will at some point come across land, thus rendering the wind 'Onshore'. If the distance to land is greater than 10 nautical miles from the entry point the student must be provided with suitable equipment and necessary skills for 3-4 days survival. Teaching in offshore wind is not recommended where the distance to next land fall exceeds 200 nautical miles"
That is a very good point. It is actually onshore in Normandy where alot of the participants are likely to end up at some point. Hopefully some of them will be able to make it back in time for XMas.
Tony
Site Admin
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: WWW
Contact:

Update from lewis

[bbvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/TCbOGlwJYhg[/bbvideo]
lewisbn11
Team/Shop Rider
Posts: 1760
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Goring-By-Sea
Contact:

Hi guys don't panic.

A lot of experienced people are behind this call. NE on Hayling is suitable and with plenty of boat cover we will be fine.

Safety Video coming soon, Lew
james
Posts: 2496
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: lymington, hampshire

i am pretty sure the crab is joking...

good luck with the event Lew!
craigboddington
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:40 pm
Antispam: No
Location: West Sussex

They might break the record for the largest number of people to cross the Channel simultaneously!
JGTR
Posts: 3221
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Saaaaaaaaarfend, innit geeza

james wrote:i am pretty sure the crab is joking...

good luck with the event Lew!
I dunno, I regularly hear people say kiting in off shore winds is ok these days
Safety_Crab
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Director of Forum Bureaucracy

JGTR wrote:
james wrote:i am pretty sure the crab is joking...

good luck with the event Lew!
I dunno, I regularly hear people say kiting in off shore winds is ok these days
Tell me about it!.....Overheard a couple talking about trying it when I was in Jessops yesterday.
Tony
Site Admin
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: WWW
Contact:

Update!

[bbvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/36vcw934HZ8[/bbvideo]
Post Reply