Do we still have an obsession with small boards....?

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
Ed

Do we still have an obsession with small boards....?

Post by Ed »

I’m bored on a Monday at work and a couple of threads recently got me pondering…do we still have an obsession with small boards?

There still seems to be this perception around that you learn on a nice long board, and move down to the shortest board you can physically get away with as you get better.

Back in the day, using a kite with little/no depower with a smaller board you could hold the thing down in the gusts, and boost big.

However, with much better de-power at the kite now, why get such short boards? It seems even more odd, with everyone wanting to fly their 12m as their “big” kite.

Longer boards ride smoother, are more stable in chop, have more pop and are easier to control on landing (ok, up to a point where a really big board will be hard on the knees).

Shorts board will spin quicker and feel more aggressive, but come on, how many of you are spinning 3’s, never mind 7, 9 and 10’s! Mr Hadlow doesn’t seem to do too badly with his 138 (from what I recall reading somewhere) and he’s doesn’t exactly look like he’s s hefty chap.

But what about width?! Sure, everyone knows that width makes a big difference. But I don’t want to get into talking about light wind boards here (extra width to avoid excessive length for a similar increase in board area). Why would you want something short and fat and miss out on the benefits of a bit of length. Ooeeer!

I think this is especially relevant for girls, who ride 125’s etc who’d benefit massively by getting a 135 and a bit of stability.

Thoughts?

Pyro Tim

Re: Do we still have an obsession with small boards....?

Post by Pyro Tim »

I'm not into the smallest of small boards, but I've found that 130 x 40 cm is about right for me. 13 stone, 6'3". I wouldn't want to trade up as when I learnt on an old 164 Olry I hated it, and much preferred the smaller board. I've seen boards at 100 cm long, and thought that was rediculously small. I say whatever floats your boat. there is enough choice out there.

Trant

Post by Trant »

I had the same mental block for years. I must get the smallest board I can

Now I've finally traded in my 128 for a 134 and the first thing I've noticed is that it doesn't fit as nicely into the back seat of my car. :(

Zarmple

Post by Zarmple »

that's one of the reasons i stay with a 128.. so it fits on the back seat of my car.

You mean i should get a board that works better for me, and has something called "pop"...?
Nah..

Ed

Post by Ed »

lol - cheers guys :lol:

Superman

Post by Superman »

The obsession with small boards is dead for me - you just can't get the same pop from a small board.

Standing tall at a mighty 5'4" I used to confortably ride 100 - 120
Now I ride 130 and am thinking of trading up to 134 with bindings

blind_judge

Post by blind_judge »

I'm 6 foot 13 stone, I'm on a 136 but think i would be better off on a 138 with wider stance.

blind_judge

Post by blind_judge »

Does anyone still ride the naish stubby, think the were the smallest board i ever saw at 115.

gillstah

Post by gillstah »

i've had a 138x39 for the last three years and ignored the hype when other people were going small. i'm 85ish kgs / 6ft.

i think longer TTs (esp those without razor sharp edges like the 666 et al) work better in the waves.

ali
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Post by ali »

i weigh under 11 stone and i ride a 134 40.
ive tried loads of different sizes and this was the best for me.
short is deffo not better. try tellign people this but they jus dont listen

whiteside

Post by whiteside »

Litewave had a 115 as well, i learnt on it! lol was a pretty sweet board, but megga skaity.

but i think around 130 is a good size! i really get on with my current board which is a 129 x 39.

Tone

Post by Tone »

at 16 stone i ride a 132/39

works for me, idealy i would have a 140/42 as well.

lewisbn11
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Post by lewisbn11 »

When I started kiting small was in, I had a board of 110cm and the thought of having to get a 118cm (that was the smallest board available in my opts) was horrible. Then came the realization little boards were silly and 130's were in but after a long time I now have a small board again. 126cm not small compared to the small days (Neal Hilder has a 90cm still we use sometimes at the cable for a laugh) but when its blowing a mental I quite like having the 126 out it. more control and can increase the wind range loads

PGH

Post by PGH »

I actually have fond memories of riding a 122 flx for two seasons -one on the 04 yellow drain one and one on the red sunset one 05/06 : but only when i had decent power...the thing used to rocket upwind and be really agile underfoot but if the wind died it was a pain in the behind..i had a north dragon to complement it as a light wind board though i think it was 142 (black and orange)

I now ride a 666 132x41 and find it about right i can use it in light winds but it will still cope with a lit 7m fuel.
When i went for the 666 they said go up a size so i banked on the 129x39 would be my size normally (82kg)
I do have a 129x39 07 protoy as well which i use in the really choppy spots here or in the random waves we get.
I'm looking at a new board soon and will stay with the 132ish as a main board....maybe the 08 666 or maybe an airush xpact as it looks very simular...but may go for a lost cause and then get one slightly more tailored to me and my riding.........decisions.

surfbum

Post by surfbum »

I have a 115 Wipika custom board which is hilarious :lol: but needs perfect conditions. Only a flat water board, really really hard work in any chop at all. I don't use it that much and keep it for fun messing around now and then. I weigh 60kg and am 5 ft 10, and usually ride a 129cm 666 which I like lots...