Help, Desperately seaking short lines!

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
bovaboy

Help, Desperately seaking short lines!

Post by bovaboy »

Can anyone help me out? I need to get hold of some short lines, 4 lines all normal (not kook proof), under 20m would be ideal, shorter the better (within reason), Need them by saturday.

I'm aware this is the wrong place but I'm pretty desperate, so if you have or know where they have some in stock who are speedy then I'd much appreciate it.

Cheers,

Craig.

JGTR

Re: Help, Desperately seaking short lines!

Post by JGTR »

Sorry can't help you with the lines.....just thought I'd say that I've just got a set of 20M lines for my Torches......fookinn ell :shock: Loops like a bastard :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: hooked in loops on 8m Torch4 in 20-30mph.....fooked my ribs up, bit sore :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Short lines are sick 8) Altho I found them crap for jumping, may be a timing issue but my jumping sucked on short lines :x

Jay

lewisbn11
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Post by lewisbn11 »

hooked in loops are dangerous in anything below 30 and even more so on 20m lines, the drop out is always going to happen. 20m lines for 35 and over.

you can get kits easily to resleeve your lines,. s2as.com sell them

pierre

Post by pierre »

Check this out

http://www.flysurf.com/frontblocks/shop ... res-(white)...-47-5521-2-2440.htm

might be too late, but as usual they dispache quiet quickly in the UK and they use to do DHL next day delivery

james

Post by james »

pretty sure i have 15s that are non kook proof maybe 17s but more likely on a bar and kooked, let me know

james

NaishUK

North_Wind

Post by North_Wind »

lewisbn11 wrote:hooked in loops are dangerous in anything below 30 and even more so on 20m lines, the drop out is always going to happen. 20m lines for 35 and over.

you can get kits easily to resleeve your lines,. s2as.com sell them

Lewis - please explain in further detail. Below 30 metres or knots? What do you mean by drop out?

I have looped a 10m kite on 25 metre lines in 20 kts plus and it was fine.

I tried looping a 12m kite on 27m lines in about 20 kts and got my ass kicked.

Was it the kit (I assume not, though 12m on the large side for looping?) or was it my timing (I suspect so).

Interested in your insights.

BA

david_hazell

Post by david_hazell »

lewisbn11 wrote:hooked in loops are dangerous in anything below 30 and even more so on 20m lines, the drop out is always going to happen. 20m lines for 35 and over.

Lewis can you make this a bit clearer for me? What is "the drop out"? And are you seriously telling us that hooked in loops are safer in anything over 30 knots?

Bit confused...

lewisbn11
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Post by lewisbn11 »

sorry bit misleading hooked in loops are dangerous in anything below 30mph, even more so on 20m lines, the drop out is always going to happen. 20m lines for 35mph and over.

the logic of a hooked in loop is that you are at one point just free falling from the sky. If you can't get high enough before the free fall you drop into the sea and smash ribs etc. If you do get high enough you fall and then re enter hangtime when the lines tension. If its not windy enough you can't get the height therefor risking drop out hence why its safer in windier conditions

DO=(altitude+velocity+kite size+KITE+windspeed+line length)

25mph - 30mph being the most dangerous as it will ALWAYS tempt you especially on a 9m.

This is how I see it, there is no correct answer.
Ali, thoughts...

ali
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Post by ali »

my thoughts. i had the most horrendus drop outs today as my kite was set up all wrong.

but this is where the difference comes in. you are only safer if you can already do mega loops, otherwise you jus get rotated and f*ck yourself. but once you have learnt to loop properly and safely, it is safer in high wind. you are on a smaller kite, and it "re-enters hangtime"(i like that phrase) much quicker.

i might jus be talking shit because im tired though.

bovaboy

Post by bovaboy »

Cheers for the replies guys, I'll give you a bell later on James, I can't go away with dodgy lines and I don't want to go back to 25m lines.

North_Wind

Post by North_Wind »

Thanks both. Following you so far.

Further question - why is hooked in different to unhooked in this regard? In both cases you need to get the kite round in time, or is that you believe the temptation not to pull on the end of the bar hard enough is worse when hooked in whereas when unhooked one really has no choice?

Safety_Crab

Post by Safety_Crab »

How do you plan on safely maintaining the 'toilet seat position' prior to megaloop re-entry if you're unhooked? .

JGTR

Post by JGTR »

hooked in loops are dangerous in anything below 30 and even more so on 20m lines, the drop out is always going to happen. 20m lines for 35 and over.

Loops are just dangerous full stop :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've always struggled to get my kite back round and back to the top of the window to give me the lift required for a softer landing, I found short lines made alot of difference with the kite getting back round giving a better landing :?

I find hooked in loops give much more boost and are alot more savage than unhooked loops - with the unhooked its like the kite looses abit of power after take off so you get a nice landing but with hooked in the kite stays powered and you either need to land hard or get the kite to the top of the window and get the power to give you a soft landing?????

Can you do a megaloop unhooked??? As far as I know Ruben does his hooked in for maximum boost then unhooks half way through, don't think I've ever seen mega loops unhooked, the kite would rip the bar from your hands????

david_hazell

Post by david_hazell »

OK, I think I will leave all this looping malarkey to the flexible ones... I think there should be a rule that loops are more dangerous for the over 30's (years old)...

lewisbn11
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Post by lewisbn11 »

unhooked loops are pulling on your arms and generally you don't do them over 25mph. compare a unhooked to a hooked (height distance etc) its just another level.

hooked loops, the center of gravity is coming through your spreader bar hence the crouched position to absorb it. If your going all over the place when the pull comes your not balanced. its a longer more powerful pull. the bar should be in the whole time.

i don't know about Ali but when you see or hear stories of amazing unhooked loops, I tend to think anybody can put short lines on, go out in 30 unhook and kain themselves sending it below them and claim the photo. hooked loops are a lot more pshycologicle (sorry if horrendous spelling)

you have to be patient (sometimes it can be a few tacks for the right wind sometimes 2 months of no hooked loop weather)
and sensible about safety who's downwind etc.
if it doesn't feel right don't do it or it can end in hospital

"Can you do a megaloop unhooked??? "

I don't know if the phsyics work but if that went wrong i.e 35 knots massive height then bar ripped out of hand as the kite is going down and round JESUS. not ruling it out though som1 will try it in our lifetime