Leashed morons

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
bulletprooffool
Location: ................... [><o=========) _/\/¯¯¯¯¯¯\--/\_ ~~~~~~~~~~~

Leashed morons

Post by bulletprooffool »

So I was at Hayling yeseterday . . and so no less than 3 eejits with leashes!!! It was blowing 30knots plus at times and one of these guys was no learner . . he was riding a 7 and doing jumps (albeit little 3 footers)

At one point yesterday, I made a little error on a transition, managed to loop my kite and comfortably ended up 30 foot downwind of my board. If I had a board leash, I am sure I would have been in trouble - but what is worse, the conditions yesterday for board retrieval were great - 2 smallish tacks and I was back at my board.

I really think the beaches with clubs (e.g. Hayling) should ban real leashes - or at least have some system where if the wind os over x knots, ban them!

Oldognewtrix

Re: Leashed morons

Post by Oldognewtrix »

This old chestnut again..... Look, if it don't effect you then whats' the problem. It's up to the individual, if he wants to use one. If he gets hurt then that's his her problem.

I suggest you go up to them & tell them they are idiots while your there . But guess you wouldn't . Just do it on forums.

I see some using them & swear by them ,others hate them. Personally I don't use one , but did when I was learning.

Tone

Post by Tone »

I am with bullet on this one.

the will affect you when that person is killed outright by their board and the council comes a knocking, that is unless he/she then gets dragged down the beach lifeless taking out people as they go.

very morbid I know, but I used a leash for exactly one session until the board whistled past my ear and hit the lines above my hands and then slid down and split my knuckles.

I dunno about Bullet, but I have on many an occasion told people using leashes to leave them at home next time and have a quick chat about the pros of being able to get yourself back to your board, specially in 30knots, doesn't take too long!

Tony

dedalus

Post by dedalus »

We have a different but related problem - bobbing windsurfers - on big days like yesterday - you can never be sure where you are going to come down - so itsa right royal pain int he ass to have a bobbing windsurfer every 50 ft evenly spaced - I mean wtf - they go 2ft, fall in, do bit of bobbing - then repeat - I was so aware of the swathe of devastation I could cause if I lost it yesterday - spoiled my squall dodging session- Now add a leash to that and you get an even longer swathe of destruction - out of control kite - followed 25M later buy OOC rider - then another 3m later by sharp finned board - all travelling at 30MPH - whipping round in a crazy loop of mayhem - no thanks. Rider on rider bad enough - but at least you can kick off the board and save the impact a bit of pointyness . Totally agree should be banned over 20mph. Bet you they were wearing a helmet with no concern for how thier board would look in the back of someone elses head.

Hobbsurf
Location: Cleethorpes - Nothing but oil spills, sharks and it's a Pikey Beach in the summer. Try Skeg!

Post by Hobbsurf »

Oldognewtrix wrote:This old chestnut again.....

PLEASE LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And the answer is still the same - unless you're in big waves with offshore winds ditch the leash. They are the most potentially dangerous bit of kit you can ever use.

Don't be fed BS by people who haven't had it happen or seen it happen and think they are ok - they are lethal bits of gear and the advice given to advocate general use of it is somewhat questionable.

Ditch it and learn to body drag - it's not hard honestly.

Russ

Oldognewtrix

Post by Oldognewtrix »

And ditched kites don't cause problems for wind surfers then?

I am not going to go into the why one should or should not use a leash ( i am no expert any how) , like we all know it's been done before & we all have our personal opinions . Weather one or the other agrees don't matter. But it's like driving to fast it might be wrong , but it's personal choice and many do drive to fast , including me at times.
I just don't like people being called idiots & Morons , when they are , I am sure decent people . That's why you should take up your point of view with them & if you got the nerve tell them too there faces , as I don't think you our any one else should call them Idiots & Morons on forums. May be one of them comes on this site. Then they could respond.

Before any one starts slagging me about leashes read below first please....just to set the records straight.

I was out yesterday & there is no way I would have used one that's for sure, nor would I recommend any one to use one. Like said I did in my early days for a short time. But I don't I repeat don't like them now. They served a purpose for me at the time all be it a short time.

I think(& this is my opinion only) every one should wear helmets. Ah ! but of course that would not look cool as we are all so dam smart we would not get hit on the head....not even by a stray , possibly airborne kite board......

fokiten

Post by fokiten »

two words and a time check...

go joe, it's a decade into 21 century now,,,,

I've got one, well a simulation anyway.

you need something when it's choppy

go joe
fo

Shorty

Post by Shorty »

Board leashes are great I love em \o/

No fannying around trying to find my board in the waves wondering if its been caught in the rip again and disapeared.

Board leashes rule \o/ ;-)

fokiten

Post by fokiten »

No biggie but?

What's the thinking that finds offshore winds and big waves a leasher's day?

Wat chew thinkin willis?

you see? I've always thought of a board leash as a great light wind idea:

that non jumping sort of wind where you might have trouble relaunching...

Never thought of it as a swell idea for Big surf?

You'd have to be English to think like that, I suppose?

No biggie
just find it curious
fo

GRF
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by GRF »

I can't wait for some bow riding bender to come up to me and tell me I should leave my reel leash at home.

All I see are fecking dozens of OOC benders that should leave their fecking entire kit at home..

I just love it when I'm on my windsurfing beach and the fresh infestation of class of 08 benders decide they dont want to launch down at kite beach they'd sooner launch upwind of our club (it's a sailing, longboard windsurf racing and occasional short windsurf board club) So far this year three of our guys have been taken out by these 2nd year cocks. Bow benders get to be cocks in about their 2nd year if they've survived that long, strut about then get on the water and try and do stupid stuff that inevitably ends in a kite crash with no regard to whose downwind of them.

We haven't complained we've tried the volunteer beach separation thing, I mean the beach that suits kites has cleaner winds, no buildings behind three miles un-interupted down wind, but now, you know I seriously fancy getting on the council and asking for kitesurfing to be banned from that particular beach can you imagine that, after all those years fighting bans and doing whatever to keep the bastards of our back.

So I can fully sympathise with anyone hacked of with kiters.

And that's kiters that don't pretend they know anything about anything to start handing out advice..

Like 2nd year forum muppets.

What can i say.

STFU if I want to wear a fecking leash I'll wear one thanks.

The Russian

Post by The Russian »

Leashes have their place in certain circumstances for some riders - in big surf & riding with few others around, they can save you a long swim in... personally I wouldn't use one again... years back my 7'6 directional scooted into my back when using one of those old elastic/longboard style leashes & still have the scars - but if you are kiting long distances and fatigue is an issue, they are critical.

As for Hayling yesterday, the morning & high tide were nice, but the afternoon with 40 odd kites out and the majority of bib wearing kiters appearing to be learning their jumps within 10ft of the shoreline was less special.... the windsurfers out back were far more considerate than the kiters

North_Wind

Post by North_Wind »

GRF wrote:I can't wait for some bow riding bender to come up to me and tell me I should leave my reel leash at home.

All I see are fecking dozens of OOC benders that should leave their fecking entire kit at home..

I just love it when I'm on my windsurfing beach and the fresh infestation of class of 08 benders decide they dont want to launch down at kite beach they'd sooner launch upwind of our club (it's a sailing, longboard windsurf racing and occasional short windsurf board club) So far this year three of our guys have been taken out by these 2nd year cocks. Bow benders get to be cocks in about their 2nd year if they've survived that long, strut about then get on the water and try and do stupid stuff that inevitably ends in a kite crash with no regard to whose downwind of them.

We haven't complained we've tried the volunteer beach separation thing, I mean the beach that suits kites has cleaner winds, no buildings behind three miles un-interupted down wind, but now, you know I seriously fancy getting on the council and asking for kitesurfing to be banned from that particular beach can you imagine that, after all those years fighting bans and doing whatever to keep the bastards of our back.

So I can fully sympathise with anyone hacked of with kiters.

And that's kiters that don't pretend they know anything about anything to start handing out advice..

Like 2nd year forum muppets.

What can i say.

STFU if I want to wear a fecking leash I'll wear one thanks.

You struggling to get back to your board Graeme?

If you can't handle C kites, try a Waroo. Maybe you'll find it easier!

:-D

BA

GRF
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by GRF »

North_Wind wrote:You struggling to get back to your board Graeme?

Last time I lost my board it was downwind of me, I'd gone too far upwind.

It's all too much of a pfaff. Sometimes I leash in, sometimes I don't, sometimes I use it as a kite leash when I forget mine.

But one thing I always wear, is my trusty Luger. (What one of the windsurfing kids (half)witedly refer to it as), never go out without it.

Reel Leash, it's never bitten me, but then I don't do the stupid twatass things some of y'all benders get up to in the name of I don't quite know what y'all trying to prove..

But know this....

White water will take your board a feck of a long swim away.

Legless

Post by Legless »

I wear a board leash...

But then I ride a surfboard with no straps, and if you haven't got one on and your board gets washed off your feet in a wipeout you don't want to be tip toeing around the reef to get it back. It is amazing how far a surfboard can go on a windy day...

As for the leash on the twin tip, well i say it's personal preference, kitesurfing is about doing what you love and enjoy, if you find a leash makes your day more enjoyable then who am i to remove that from you. Far too many fun/safety police about these days.

I try and avoid the crowds, mainly as the kitesurfing masses scare the sh!t out of me. At a busy spot this weekend and i just rode upwind out of the way and had a blast. But whilst on the beach i went over to two nervous looking kiters about to launch. One launched but then couldn't find the depower on his system! So he launched it full full power and struggled to hold it. Pretty scary if you ask me. Another was a polish chap who had borrowed a kite from his mate and had no clue where his kite leash went, he also had the stopper ball pulled all the way in effectively disabling his primary safety. It was blowing well over 30mph and seeing stuff like that just frightens me.

But everyone has to start somewhere, and both riders eventually got on the water and had a great day, i think...

I do want to know who wrapped the 8m Kiteloose kite round the telegraph poles at the far end of Durys Gap though, that thing looked proper fooked...

At the end of the day a lot of people these days seem to be getting more and more wound up and heated on this forum about things they believe are right... Don't we all just want to chill out and go kitesurfing, and help others along the way! Educate them politely on the dangers, but respect that they might be wearing whatever they are for a certain reason, you never know the full story until you speak to them.

|Sam|
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Post by |Sam| »

the only time you should wear a leash is when your on a surfboard as rou said.. i do a bit of teaching i am a full believer of do not ever where a leash! you can always always get back especially with a bow kite or someone will help you out. Personally i think and would tell the person that they are stupid! its like trying a flip on a bike before you can ride it. just learn how to body drag properly