Who gives way???

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
kungfustew

Re: Who gives way???

Post by kungfustew »

Knowledge is power guys!!!! I like to know the rules then I know if I break them and get pulled up on it I can hold my hands up and say fair play I was in the wrong.

However if someone trys to be bold and state I'm in the wrong when I know I'm not, I can confidently inform said person they should get there facts straight!!

I have tried to word that as polite as possibe.... Think you know what I mean though!!

wh155

Post by wh155 »

pilch wrote:@ mrX & wh155

You pair of cocks

You shouldn't even be allowed on the water, i've had some of best sails with the local windsurfers.... i'd rather sail with them any day of the week, they know their stuff are safe and have none of the bullshit attitude that kitesurfing seems to thrive on...

FFS

WTF - pilch u sound like u are a complete idiot.... U need to read my post then get back to me!
I am ex windsurf and a pretty good one at that. I also would help a Windsurfer out if they had a problem the same as any kiter! I said I was downwind and behind a WIndsurfer on the same tack when I set it to keep clear of him... Yeah I had a bit of a shout and laff with him as I was looking down but no harm there. I also spoke to him and he commented on how high it was, SO where is your issue with me.???????????????????????????????

Superman

Post by Superman »

Ok this may sound alittle controversial having read whats been written so far but heres the way I see it & I know that others agree from past posts on this kinda thing:

1. kitesurfers keep well clear of all other types of water craft! (including swimmers, dog walkers, the bucket & spade brigade, horses etc etc)
(we are still the newboys and nobody else can work out what we are likely to do next i.e. we are unpredictable )

2. The ONLY exception to the above is with our cousins windsurfers (ok that slightly retarded cousin that u don't like to publicly admit too - but still a part o the family),
they still always have right of way (except on waves)
but we can just put our kites a little higher and allow them to pass under (thats right your kite has too be low in the first place people!)
We can do this because they are or should be used to us by now and most have no fear of ridding under our lines.
However they should return this courteous behavior by not being in our way when we come into a hot landing.

3. The only other exception is for jetskiers - unless towing in waves, rescuing or taking photos these lot are just punks and deserve no respect

4. The only other other exception is with surfers - we can be in the line up with them but should respect the rules of the line up and respect that a surfer has probably waited 1/2hr for a single wave!

4. Between 2 kitesurfers,

(A) Avoid collisions by being courteous.
Starboard does not have 'right of way' because who can be f*cked to look at another kiter and work out which way his shoulder is facing - thats freakin gay!!!

(B) whomever is upwind and knows that he/she will stay upwind when passing puts their kite high and the other kiter passes downwind with there kite still low (thats right your kite has too be low in the first place people!)

(C) whomever is clearly setting up 4 a trick has the right of way and others should be observant & courteous of someone elses stoke and keep clear

(D) the kiter setting up for a trick should be observant and not pull the trigger if another kiter is downwind and in the 'trick zone' or in the 'crashed trick run off zone' (even if that little kicker looks perfect for a flat 3, or that gust just has too be kitelooped etc)

(E) The kiter ripping up the wave has right o way to stay on it

(F) experienced kiters should give way to newbies

(G) Newbies & people mowing the lawn should not clog up the trick zone (every spots got a or several trick zones!)

(H) Crashes & tangles with other kiters do happen. When they do stay calm, do not shout and scream and get aggressive (generally do not throw all your toys) - just sort it out untangle lines etc smile, laugh about it and enjoy the rest of your session

Long post 4 me that, can't think any more!

Cheers

Luke

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Starboard does not have 'right of way' because who can be f*cked to look at another kiter and work out which way his shoulder is facing - thats freakin gay!!!

Its not too hard to figure out fella - so long as you know what tack you are on, then the rider coming towards you is on the other tack. (assuming you are going in opposite directions rather than converging on the same spot but going in the same direction). If your right hand is forwards then your on starboard.

Superman

Post by Superman »

No mate!

If I wanted to care about who is on port and starboard I would go back to team racing and wave my little yellow & red flags about.

Don't try to turn kitesurfing into dingy racing

Protest!!!!!!

disclaimer - I have very fond memories of years spent racing dinghy's and yachts, I loved hollering the rules at others (even when, especially when I was making them up!) but its not very kitesurfin is it.

Luke

kitejunky

Post by kitejunky »

What does starboard tack mean?

Right foot forward, the wind is hiting you on the right cheek thats starboard tack.

Left foot forward and the wind is hitting your left cheek, thats port tack.

Rider on STARBOARD tack has right of way.

Upwind rider must give way to downwind rider, ie no jumping onto your mate..

When 2 kites are collision course on a reach then each must turn to the right ie starboard and upwind kite kifts and downwind kite lowers.

launching kites always have right of way... ie stay away from them!

Mr X

Post by Mr X »

kitejunky wrote:What does starboard tack mean?

Jees

Have you not heard of google? A simple search will answer your questions.

kitejunky

Post by kitejunky »

X, I think it is very unfair that you suggested all windsurfers are wankers!
You have obviously wound them up the wrong way :roll:

Mr X

Post by Mr X »

kitejunky wrote:X, I think it is very unfair that you suggested all windsurfers are wankers!
You have obviously wound them up the wrong way :roll:

Its his first post on that forum. Probably safety crab bored at home with nothing to do :roll:

kitejunky

Post by kitejunky »

Mr X wrote:
kitejunky wrote:What does starboard tack mean?

Jees

Have you not heard of google? A simple search will answer your questions.

haha..anyway..

Some people don't actually know any of this stuff.. Especially the French in my experience.

What does starboard tack mean?
Right foot forward, the wind is hiting you on the right cheek thats starboard tack.

Left foot forward and the wind is hitting your left cheek, thats port tack.

Rider on STARBOARD tack has right of way.

Upwind rider must give way to downwind rider, ie no jumping onto your mate..

When 2 kites are collision course on a reach then each must turn to the right ie starboard and upwind kite kifts and downwind kite lowers.

launching kites always have right of way... ie stay away from them!

and for our french friends...

Qu'est-ce que tribord amure signifie?

Le pied droit en avant, le vent vous hiting sur la joue droite, tribord amure thats it.

Le pied gauche en avant et le vent frappe la joue gauche, thats bâbord amure.

Rider sur tribord amures a le droit de passage.

Upwind coureur doit céder le pas à rider en aval, c'est à dire pas de sauter sur votre mate ..

Lorsque 2 cerfs-volants sont sur une trajectoire de collision arrive ensuite à chacun d'eux doit tourner à droite et à tribord à-dire contre le vent kifts cerf-volant et cerf-volant sous le vent diminue.

lancement des cerfs-volants toujours avoir un droit de passage ... : rester loin d'eux!

waverider

Post by waverider »

I think this thread is proving to be a very useful thread, shame about the water-sports racism but at least we have interest in gentlemanly conduct on the water.

The behavior on the water by a few riders has been so bad I'm surprised we haven't had stories of blows being exchanged and so I applaud Stu's position and stance in the matter of right and wrong. We drive on the left in this country, if you ship yourself over the channel you need to drive on the right. Those are the rules and those rules make it easy for everyone to get safely from A-to-B until some ass-hole want's to cock two fingers up to what he perceives as authority.

On the water we've had to cope with each individual making-up their own rules or beach community rules being accepted which don't work everywhere, what-the-fuxxx is so special about kitesurfers.

Having said all that I love this sport for the people I've met and for those I hope to meet so let's have an orderly queue and a little more mutual respect. Oh-yes, and, I always feel safer with windsurfers than I do with kitesurfers.

Safety_Crab

Post by Safety_Crab »

waverider wrote:I think this thread is proving to be a very useful thread, shame about the water-sports racism but at least we have interest in gentlemanly conduct on the water.

The behavior on the water by a few riders has been so bad I'm surprised we haven't had stories of blows being exchanged and so I applaud Stu's position and stance in the matter of right and wrong. We drive on the left in this country, if you ship yourself over the channel you need to drive on the right. Those are the rules and those rules make it easy for everyone to get safely from A-to-B until some ass-hole want's to cock two fingers up to what he perceives as authority.

On the water we've had to cope with each individual making-up their own rules or beach community rules being accepted which don't work everywhere, what-the-fuxxx is so special about kitesurfers.

Having said all that I love this sport for the people I've met and for those I hope to meet so let's have an orderly queue and a little more mutual respect. Oh-yes, and, I always feel safer with windsurfers than I do with kitesurfers.

Have you ever kitesurfed within 100 nautical miles of another water user (apart from a seal)? Tell the truth...

thetrash

Post by thetrash »

waverider wrote: I always feel safer with windsurfers than I do with kitesurfers.

Me too, your average windsurfer seems a lot more aware of whats going on around him than the average kitesurfer does.

Haha, I've been within 1 nautical mile of him once. He's a lot less crabby in real life than he is on here :-D

waverider

Post by waverider »

Safety_Crab wrote:
Have you ever kitesurfed within 100 nautical miles of another water user (apart from a seal)? Tell the truth...

:-D You're right Martyn, it's mostly anecdotal and yes I have had the pleasure of riding with seals, the bizarre thing is even though I only meet a few riders I still meet ass-holes who run me into the beach or follow me to show they can jump yet ignore the fact I would like help launching/landing or other such social-trivia.

It's all relative though, you-lot are used to numbers of 50 plus and I feel crowded on a 3 mile stretch with 2 others if they insist on riding with me then displaying poor behavior.

wh155

Post by wh155 »

waverider wrote:It's all relative though, you-lot are used to numbers of 50 plus and I feel crowded on a 3 mile stretch with 2 others if they insist on riding with me then displaying poor behavior.

I dont like having lots of people kiting around me either, weither it is me likely to hurt them or them likely to hurt me. Just kite up wind, that confuses most of them!

New thread needed - Kitesurfing do's and dont's etiquete!??

DW