accident yesterday, camber

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
JamesVegas

Re: accident yesterday, camber

Post by JamesVegas »

No not all suggestions, just the ridiculous ones. Do you honestly think that there is any way that would work?

butty_74
Antispam: No

Post by butty_74 »

JamesVegas wrote:Dude, no offense but that is hilarious not just because it's completely unenforceable (especially the bit about lending your kites) but because some of the students I've seen after having completed a BKSA course aren't fit to pick up a kite let alone fly one.

fair enough, im not an instructor so i wouldnt know. just a thought thats all. but surley you get to decide it theyre good enough at the end of the course?
maybe when buying a kite you should get a free dvd with kiting accidents... might scare begginners off?

JamesVegas

Post by JamesVegas »

I'm no instructor either but I've seen enough idiots with IKO level 3 cards to know that your idea couldn't work and I can't imagine many shops saying no to £1000's worth of business in all honesty. An explanatory video with all new kites is a good idea, I'm surprised no company has done this yet. As I've said previously in this thread most of the ideas to keep the sport safe are completely unenforceable if you're talking about regulation, the only thing that should be mandatory is 3rd party insurance and even that would be pretty damn hard to enforce. People who are involved in this sport will hurt themselves and potentially others too, it's just the way it is.

nick_tarr01

Post by nick_tarr01 »

Morning all

I have read all of the posts following the accident at camber a few weeks ago which sounded terrible. I do not usually post on the forum but thought i would add a few of my own thoughts following a session at great stone yesterday.

I had a great session yesterday on my 12 and realised what an amazing spot you have got with camber and GreatStone around. I have kited for 3 years and am not the most progressive of kiters but proficient and very safety conscious especially having spent the summer in Morocco! I did however end up having my chicken loop coming off whilst out, leading to my kite inverting (the joys of a 5'th line). I was absolutely fine but had a good 20 minute slog back into the shore. At no point in that time did any one come and check i was okay and that everything was all right. I was amazed however as i did count over 75 kites on the air.

It got me thinking about some of the problems within kiting at the moment. I learnt to kite in the outer Hebrides and then spent a few years down on the north coast of cornwall. Here there is such a community of kiters regardless of weather they are locals or not and their level of ability. The conditions are sometimes pretty full on and so everyone looks out for each other, and ensures that everyone is okay regardless of their ability. I have found moving onto the south coast a definite lack of this on many beaches (i think as a result of the number of travelling kite surfers from london and the surrounding areas.) You really see it within surfers however we seem to have moved away from this, with some posts being purely about abuse. I think that this lack of community is especially an issue for the newbies as this means that they are not comfortable with asking for help and advice. It is something that is so important in any sports where you go out in what everyone else thinks is lunacy. I sincerely hope that this spirit is gained and it seems the best way of getting this is through well managed clubs within local areas who are a voice against any sanctions made to kiters and the beaches they go to.

I hope that all of this makes sense and that everyone is enjoying this awesome wind at the moment.
Have a great weekend

Oldognewtrix

Post by Oldognewtrix »

No not all suggestions, just the ridiculous ones. Do you honestly think that there is any way that would work?

Quite likely not..but I think that the more suggestions there are the better...what's the old saying ? If you give a 1000 Monkeys type writers they will eventually come up with the works of Shakespeare (think that's the first time in my 50 years that written the word .. Shakespeare) ....Not that I have ever understood that either.. I was not trying to be funny mate , but got sneaky feeling that Butty is my youngest son..hes quite new to Kite surfing , but picked it up real fast & has lived in the Shadow of his brother as far as Kite surfing concerned..so defending him a little.
I presume that is you Greg..I mean not many of us with the Surname Butt is there...

butty_74
Antispam: No

Post by butty_74 »

Oldognewtrix wrote:
I presume that is you Greg..I mean not many of us with the Surname Butt is there...

haha howd you guess

Oldognewtrix

Post by Oldognewtrix »

presume that is you Greg..I mean not many of us with the Surname Butt is there...

haha howd you guess

Rocket Science....Some one come on now & Slag us off for going off Topic....

Oldognewtrix

Post by Oldognewtrix »

I was absolutely fine but had a good 20 minute slog back into the shore. At no point in that time did any one come and check i was okay and that everything was all right. I was amazed however as i did count over 75 kites on the air.

That saddens me greatly to hear that my friend. That's piss poor quite frankly...You should come down here to the Ho...every one watches out for every one here. Regardless as to weather they are local or a visitor.
They will Buzz you , ask if your ok , retrieve your board. Do all they can to make sure you get back in Safely.. If your having a long swim , like we all do from time to time , it makes you feel so much better when some one close by. Even if they are giving you some piss taking advice.

Filthy

Post by Filthy »

nick_tarr01 wrote: I did however end up having my chicken loop coming off whilst out, leading to my kite inverting (the joys of a 5'th line). I was absolutely fine but had a good 20 minute slog back into the shore. At no point in that time did any one come and check i was okay and that everything was all right. I was amazed however as i did count over 75 kites on the air.

Struggling to understand this. So you walked back in for 20 mins with your kite leashed out on the 5th? Were you near any other riders on the water when it popped? If I was there I would have landed you. I ride there bery often and am suprised at this. Did you actually ask anyone. Did you pass anyone on the way in?

The onus here is not just on the other riders but also on you to ask. I'd be suprised if you asked someone and they walked off?

Why didn't you walk up the 5th and grab it yourself?

How did you get it down in the end then?

Not slagging you off but sometimes you have to help yourself too.

blind_judge

Post by blind_judge »

We have a IKO school thats sticks to all the rules of the IKO. So when the book says there should be 2-4 line lengths free of obstruction, they cut the lines to 10m long and teach 23m from a massive concrete wall. :?

Tone

Post by Tone »

Has anyone heard anything about the guy?

I still haven't managed to find anything out :(

phil5556

Post by phil5556 »

Filthy wrote:
nick_tarr01 wrote: I did however end up having my chicken loop coming off whilst out, leading to my kite inverting (the joys of a 5'th line). I was absolutely fine but had a good 20 minute slog back into the shore. At no point in that time did any one come and check i was okay and that everything was all right. I was amazed however as i did count over 75 kites on the air.

Struggling to understand this. So you walked back in for 20 mins with your kite leashed out on the 5th? Were you near any other riders on the water when it popped? If I was there I would have landed you. I ride there bery often and am suprised at this. Did you actually ask anyone. Did you pass anyone on the way in?

The onus here is not just on the other riders but also on you to ask. I'd be suprised if you asked someone and they walked off?

Why didn't you walk up the 5th and grab it yourself?

How did you get it down in the end then?

Not slagging you off but sometimes you have to help yourself too.

I read the slog as a swim/sail in to the shore with a ditched kite, not a walk on the beach. But yeah, even if it was in the water I'd expect to wind the lines in and work your way up to the kite.

It is difficult sometimes to know what's best to do if you see someone with a ditched kite. If they look like they're successfully winding their lines in and still got hold of their board (or if it hasn't got that far and they look like they'll relaunch) then keeping an eye on them and staying out the way is often the most helpful thing to do. If it looks like someone is struggling I'll go over and check they are OK.

I ran a good 500m down the beach the other day to grab an out of control kite for someone.

nick_tarr01

Post by nick_tarr01 »

Hi there

I think you mis understood me....i was out in the water not walking back. I had about 20 mins in the water getting everything together, wound my lines in and then took kite back on the 5'th as i swam in.

In reference to the talking to people; i always make sure that when ever i come to a different beach which is other than my local one that i talk to people and ask for assistance when on the beach in launching, landing. There were people upwind of me and close however despite a wave they did not seem to take any notice as i did want to have my board recovered.

Guy

Post by Guy »

I find it pretty sad that no one sailed over to assist in any way. I go out of my way to pick up boards if someone is struggling, it's something we have always done from the early days. It costs nothing to look out for one another and guess what there will be a time when you need it in return.

As for swimming in with your kite on the 5th, next time lie on the offshore wing tip with the leading edge in to wind then grab the other wing tip usually by pulling one of the lines. The kite will now form a sail and pull you towards the shore. You will find this is much quicker than swimming in dragging your kit.

phil5556

Post by phil5556 »

Guy wrote:I find it pretty sad that no one sailed over to assist in any way. I go out of my way to pick up boards if someone is struggling, it's something we have always done from the early days. It costs nothing to look out for one another and guess what there will be a time when you need it in return.

I find it varies massively depending on where you kite. Some places you feel like everyone is definitely watching your back & they'll help, and others you feel like you're on your own! I've recently moved so I'm turning up on my own on beaches I've not kited at before so notice the difference a lot at the moment, even with beaches 2 minutes apart! In Poole harbour a few weeks ago someone seemed very shocked that I grabbed their kite to help them out :-?

Guy wrote:As for swimming in with your kite on the 5th, next time lie on the offshore wing tip with the leading edge in to wind then grab the other wing tip usually by pulling one of the lines. The kite will now form a sail and pull you towards the shore. You will find this is much quicker than swimming in dragging your kit.

It's quite a nice relaxing sail, time to take in the sights and enjoy yourself!