POSSIBLE fraud

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
Dragnfly

Re: POSSIBLE fraud

Post by Dragnfly »

oh ffs. The world hates me at the moment. I just spent an hour typing a full and detailed reply, hit send, and now it's f*cking vanished. Brilliant.
No kites. No money.

I will type it all again later. It's not pretty though.

Dragnfly

Post by Dragnfly »

2nd time lucky.................

Right then.

I’m sad to say that I still have no kites, and am still £800 down. There is very little prospect of me ever seeing either.

So – what have I done to try and resolve this?

The transaction
Kevinkites advertised the kites on this forum. Kevin (if that’s his name) and I passed a few pm’s back & forth & he sounded like a nice genuine chap and I agreed to buy the kites.
I transferred £800 by bank transfer.
Since the money left my account Kevin has not responded to any of my Pms or emails. He has since revisited the forum 3 or 4 times and so has definitely received my messages. I have also emailed him numerous times.

The only details I have for him are:

Email: kevin.saunders12@btinternet.com
Bank: sort code 20-20-62 account: 93012786 (that’s Barclays in Chichester).
ISP: BskyB

What I’ve done

The banks
Unsurprisingly neither kevins bank nor my bank will provide me with any information about Kevin, quoting ‘Data protection’.

I have formally requested Kevins name & address from Barclays quoting Data Protection Act s35 which permits them to provide me with the information if I intend to take legal proceedings – but they have still refused to do so (that section allows them to release the information without breaking any rules if they want to – but they clearly don’t want to).

I have submitted formal complaints to both his and my bank but got nowhere.

At one point, after a call from Trading Standards, Barclays did tell my bank they would refund any money that was left in kevins account upto £800 (yeee harrrrr, good news at last - assuming he’s not withdrawn it all) if my bank sent them an ‘indemnity form’. My bank sent the requested form almost a month ago and have had no response and no money has been refunded.

Last night I got a final letter from Barclays telling me they had fully investigated the matter and were going to do….. absolutely diddly squat…. They will not be refunding any of my money, they will not be closing any of kevins accounts, and they will not be responding to any further correspondence from me, and they were ‘very sorry for the inconvenience’ – they enclosed an Ombudsmans complaint form which I will be completing very shortly. In the meantime, Kevins accounts remain open and untouched. The letter said that if requested to do so by the police, they would provide Kevins name & address to the police.

The police
I don’t want to bad mouth them given current events, but I really wonder why I pay my taxes. They have not even responded to me after my initial report. They issued me with a crime reference number & swept it under the carpet. They have not contacted Kevins bank, and when I ring to enquire they claim they are not able to even tell me who is dealing with it! Not even which branch/ office/ department or whatever. Complete blank. I suspect this is because no-one is following it up at all.
I found it very hard to bite my lip in MacDonalds this morning over my black coffee, when 6 coppers were eating sausage & egg mcMuffins having a right royal laugh at the next table. Grrrrr.

I will be logging a formal complaint very shortly once I’ve finished the financial ombudsman complaint form against the banks.

Trading Standards
Initially looked pretty good and are the only people to have requested Kevins details from Barclays (3 weeks ago). They were also the ones that Barclays told they would refund whatever money was in Kevins account. However, Barclays have so far not actually provided them with any information, and have gone back on their word to refund any money at all. I’ve told them about this complete Uturn by Barclays and so far heard nothing. It’s also doubtful that they’d pass on any information they did obtain to me because of data protection.

Home insurance
I sent them an email with this written at the top in big bold letters: ***this is not a claim, it is just an enquiry about my policy***. Anyhow, to add insult to injury, they are now trying to say that I have submitted a claim, and informed them of ‘a loss’ – and whilst I am not covered for fraud like this, it will still be taken into account when renewing the policy. Wtf!!?? Cheeky *&^*&^s.

I will probably be logging a complaint against them too!! Aaaarrgghhhhh…. ><

IP address
Led to a spot in the middle of nowhere.

So – all in all, I have been completely shafted from all angles and remain £800 out of pocket and rapidly running out of further options.

Any further suggestions welcome.

Thanks to all those who have pm'd me with (nice) comments and assistance.

kman

Post by kman »

Rough!!! Feel for you mate.

The scamming fecker that did this to you should be strung up. He's effected how all of us will use this forum in the future - recently pulled out of the purchase of a board from this site as I just felt I couldn't take the risk (as user had low number of posts amongst other things). :cry:

Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Isn't chasing BT internet worth a punt? Think thats a proper ISP internet email and not a free one?

w1nd

Post by w1nd »

Random idea but might be worth a punt...

BT residential directory shows 13 people in Chichester with the surname Saunders, could be worth phoning each one and asking for Kevin... Might get lucky with mum or dad if he is a youngster...

BrightonSurf

Post by BrightonSurf »

Well I think you have to go down the legal route. Once you have initiated legal proceedings against him from what I understand the bank or internet provider can be forced to reveal his identity - criminals cant just hide behind bank accounts and internet IPs. The fact he has a UK bank account suggest he is a UK resident, which is a good start if he was in russia or something you would be really fckd. Will be alot of hassle but if someone ripped me off for 800 I would want to get them back.
Last edited by BrightonSurf on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragnfly

POSSIBLE fraud

Post by Dragnfly »

evilrobotshane
Antispam: No

Post by evilrobotshane »

Have a look into 'small claims', it seems to be the legal way to handle claims under 5000 quid.

wardr77
Antispam: No

Post by wardr77 »

At this stage I would consider contacting your local tv news with this story, South East Today, or whatever the equivalent is in your neck of the woods. They seem to like stories where there is a complete failure of 'the system' and will look into it on your behalf perhaps just to get the story. When tv cameras start getting involved its amazing what doors can be opened.
A long shot perhaps but maybe worth a try

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

evilrobotshane wrote:Have a look into 'small claims', it seems to be the legal way to handle claims under 5000 quid.

total waste of your time and more money trust me I had 5 years of that crap in the end I delt with it my self and we are now even 8)

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

w1nd wrote:Random idea but might be worth a punt...

BT residential directory shows 13 people in Chichester with the surname Saunders, could be worth phoning each one and asking for Kevin... Might get lucky with mum or dad if he is a youngster...

I think it's a good idea to stop giving him ideas over the internet and PM him idea's so this Kevin bloke doesn't get the heads up!

I have PM'd you Dragon fly with some very good leads. :wink:

TomW

Post by TomW »

PM sent

thetrash

Post by thetrash »

Dragnfly wrote:I found it very hard to bite my lip in MacDonalds this morning over my black coffee, when 6 coppers were eating sausage & egg mcMuffins having a right royal laugh at the next table. Grrrrr.

Because its their fault........... :roll:

Fred

Post by Fred »

Sorry to hear you've been conned. I hope you get things sorted somehow.

I know it doesn't help you at all, but I've got one tip when buying something reasonably valuable. Offer to meet up near them and pay cash - even if it's too far away. If they say "OK" then just say you've decided it's easier to just send the money instead. If they say "no" then don't buy it. If they're honest then you've not wasted their time or anything, just had a quick and subtle check whether they're likely to be trustworthy.

Dragnfly

POSSIBLE fraud

Post by Dragnfly »

Thanks for the pm's. I will respond shortly. Sorry for the delay - I try not the think about this debacle over the weekend as it spoils my time with the ankle biters, playing on my mind.