Here you go, session this morning:)

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
southseasailor

Here you go, session this morning:)

Post by southseasailor »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... tif_t=like

Hopefully this is the link, its with my Flysurfer Speed 3 12mtr

G-Bru

Re: Here you go, session this morning:)

Post by G-Bru »

That's a fail dude. (Link not working). Or is it just me?

G

southseasailor

Post by southseasailor »

Hmm, wonder if its a friends only thing on FB?

Have just checked and sorted the settings...should be public now. Thanks for pointing that out:)

sonofasaltyseadog
Antispam: No

Post by sonofasaltyseadog »

Looks a lovely place to kite, whole place to yourself …sweet. I take it you're just coming out of Winter and into Spring?

southseasailor

Post by southseasailor »

Google earth the Falklands, you will see loads of places to kite...most of them unkited I reckon. I am one of the very few locals that kite, we do get folk in the Armed Forces that kite, but its sheer chance that we ever get to meet. Shame really, as there is much to be learnt from more advanced riders than myself.

The bay in the vid is not too far from where I work, if I get a late shift I get all morning to head down and get kiting. Its part of an inland waterway, on the far side there is a lovely great long sand beach, with surf and dolphins. Sadly the wind is mostly offshore, not even sure of the tidal streams there either. With a safety boat it would be a LOT of fun.

Yep, I am one lucky sod. Folk say 'why not go on a kiting holiday?'...why should I? got it all on my doorstep:) If you Google earth...look for Mount Pleasant Airport...go south along one of the few roads here...you will get to a dock complex...same seaway as where I kite, look east of this and theres a wide channel with a sandy bay at the head...thats the spot I use.

Gnarfskt
Antispam: No

Post by Gnarfskt »

Looks awesome, but cold! It´s a pity that the autumn already is here... but you´re using a drysuit right?

Too Much Wind

Post by Too Much Wind »

Looks like there is too much tip tucking on your speed. You expect to see that behaviour on a psycho 4 but not on speed 3. You should check your mixer settings.
Agreed nice spot.
TMW

southseasailor

Post by southseasailor »

Hi, could be me being too close to the edge of the window. I have that tendency, on the LEI's I can get away with this in order to get a softer start (if that makes any sense) which is a bad habit with the Foil.

Totally different experience using this kite :) love it though!

I use a wetsuit all the time, the top is a dinghy smock to cut down on the windchill, with this you can use a cheap fleece top under this to give some warmth. Mitts are 5mm, Boots are 7mm (warm as toast) Suit is a 5/4/3mm from what I can remember...arse cheeks are a bit torn out from Skiff sailing (rough coated tube racks) I used this suit all this last year, could do with a 7mm. Prefer wetsuit as it gives some good support and more 'feel' than a drysuit.

Heres another clip on the same session:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5WJzQoCyrU&feature=plcp

srod

Post by srod »

Yo southseasailor - I know the spot you're talking about! It backs onto Bertha's beach by that gentoo penguin colony. It's a perfect spot for kiting, from memory it's one of the few that's easy to get to that pick up the perpetual F9+ easterlies. I spent many an hour sat on either of those to beaches alone, either waiting for the wind to drop, or trying to convince myself that maybe it wasn't that strong.

Just dug through the archives and found some shite footage from 2002 that I am only uploading for it's historical significance (in that I am claiming that spot :-D )

Flying a 3.5m Flysurfer Maniac, and a disposable plywood board, on one of the rare days when the wind wasn't above 30 knots...
http://youtu.be/iYVvTV5tCEY

southseasailor

Post by southseasailor »

Wow!! thanks for that :) no problem with the 'claim' at all. Its used occasionally by kiters in the Forces, just i get to use the area more than anyone else. Its a great spot for sure. Did you make it into Stanley at all? well the old rusty wreck near the Airfield at the eastern end of the harbour is my 'local' spot for kiting. There are very few locals who kite, I prob have more time on the water than any of them. They have lives to get on with..I dont so get on the water as often as I can.

Plywood board? so it was homemade? I am really interested in gear from that time, I know its been developing over the years.

Love the Foil I have, reckon this will be my most used kite. Handles well. Wouldnt mind a 10mtr one. We do get the winds here, as you well know!

carlos_c

Post by carlos_c »

Shane - I still have that maniac 3.5 and it still flies really well

srod

Post by srod »

I did spend a bit of time in Stanley, I've had a look at Surf Bay but it was always easterly and offshore, there's a few other beaches around there, most of them fenced off due to land mines!! I don't know the spot you're talking about, on Google Earth it looks right nearby, not sure why I never found it...

It would be great to get back back down there, it's the kind of kiting I like: cold, windy, empty, uncharted. Ended up on west coast of Scotland now, so have a similar set up.

Plywood boards are awesome, you should make one! Although I understand wood is a precious commodity in the Falklands, and it's probably easier to pick up a new kiteboard than an 8x4 sheet.

Carlos - superb! At the time it wasn't one of my favourites, but it did serve me well on a couple of unique, memorable sessions that I otherwise wouldn't have had without it. Glad to hear it's still going strong, considering that before I had it, it spent a couple of years taking a thrashing as a school kite, it certainly says something for the build quality!

southseasailor

Post by southseasailor »

Yeah, theres the Canache (can-ash) on the west side of the isthumus leading to the airport, lagoon sort of area. This could be ideal as its flat water, but has power lines on its eastern end...with the western prevailing winds this is risky. You would most likely never have a problem, but if a kite were released and to hit the lines there would be a lot of explaining to do:)

Wood? nah...plenty about these days. I was just thinking of building a board. Would love to experiment a bit! i am not a stranger to basic woodwork and using resin glues etc...going to try this out.

Folk say about kiting holidays in places like greece and turkey, I cant be arsed as all I need is right on my doorstep:) its ace!! Its rare I ever get to kite with anyone else, so all that space and solitude...I am VERY lucky.

waverider

Post by waverider »

southseasailor wrote:
Folk say about kiting holidays in places like greece and turkey, I cant be arsed as all I need is right on my doorstep

You'll be running trips soon Rob, plenty of kitesurfers enjoy the sort of conditions you and Shane are describing though many just prefer boring flat-water and warm seas with cold beers and a burger served by the beach.

Horrible. :-D

Purely out of interest as I don't have any plans. What are the flight times and costs ?

southseasailor

Post by southseasailor »

For the truly ambitious? re kiting holiday to my bit of the world: about £2200:00 for a return ticket and an 18hr flight...on seats designed for no more than 4 hrs or so :) .There is a stop at Ascension Island for fuel, where you get holed up in a stockade of sorts where you can get a cold drink...no beer though, as the Forces cant trust anyone not to get really drunk and be a nuisance on the plane:)

The military have a civilian airliner on contract, this is the above route. Flights are twice a week. You have to begin and end the flight at RAF Brize Norten

Theres also another operator who deals with the Oil exploration staff...flights are weekly but have the added bonus of starting and ending at Heathrow.

Alternative route is through LAN which is a Chilean Airline, these flights are every saturday...so weekly, not sure where they terminate in the UK...though an overnight stop is required in Santiago of Chile, usually.

Its quite a place, is the Falklands...most areas are unkited as far as I know. Winds are generally good through the summer months, not unusual to get near gales all day...then come 6 or 7 pm it will drop away. Travel around the Islands can be by plane (Islander BN2B) though there is a simple network of gravel roads. Some of the inland waterways around the top of East Falkland would be worth a look. Thats my plan over the next few weeks is to look for suitable areas. close to roads, with good setup area etc. For wave stuff there is a beach at the top north west of East Falkland that could be worth a look. One of the lads at work was on about it, hes a keen surfer...and has kite gear, just needs some more time with it and hes good to go.