when do you stop being a begginer?

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
Benji2203
Antispam: No

just reading some reviews and some say ideal for begginers or intermediates etc.
so when do you stop being a begginer?
when you can stay upwind? or when you can jump and land or simply just get out the water and move?
at what point would you class an intermediate?
any thoughts?
Woodsy

back roll.

W
waverider

Woodsy wrote:back roll.

W
Absolute tosh.

I can't do a back-roll, never tried because I never wanted to and now i'm far to lame. Been kitesurfing for 12 years, hardly a beginner. There are riders out here in the waves playing a tune on a surfboard and you never-ever see them dangling, times are changing Benji. Free-style has dominated the choice of boards and kites, the language, the clothing style and just about everything but it's changing.

If you can stay on your board and ride upwind, launch and land safely, competent and considerate in the company of others you're a kitesurfer. The direction you take is your choice but you'll always be a novice in someones eyes. I've seen some fairly impressive back-rolls from a rider whi an complete novice in many other ways.
Too Much Wind

Benji2203 wrote:at what point would you class an intermediate?
Once you can ride comfortably and safely in winds upto 30knots. Advanced is when you start pushing the boundarys of your chosen riding style.

TMW
waverider

Too Much Wind wrote: Once you can ride comfortably and safely in winds upto 30knots.
Oh-bolloxxxxxxx :( Thats more like it. Though point to consider is I know quite a few riders who won't ride in 30 knots that are competent. At 30 knots i'm usually riding in on my ass and looking for a bale-out.

Can we have another category please and do we have to fly a 12 in the 30 knots ? I can't even fly an 8 in 25 knots :-D
Filthy

When you face a constant dilemma. Boardshorts over wetsuit or no boardshorts...
JGTR

When you start referring to others as beginners and moaning about them :lol:

For me it was when I was able to decide where I wanted to go, go there, and then get back.
anthonylanglands
Location: http://www.kiteaddicts.co.uk http://www.essexkitesurf.co.uk/

I feel a beginner is anyone up to the stage where they are not yet their comfort zone controlling the kite and board , intermediate begins at the stage where you are comfortable with the control of the kite and board , most of the time , and goes all the way upto being very very good at the style of kiting you are doing and control of the kite and board
waverider

anthonylanglands wrote:I feel a beginner is anyone up to the stage where they are not yet their comfort zone controlling the kite and board , intermediate begins at the stage where you are comfortable with the control of the kite and board
That sounds good, can I suggest it's a gradual transition period rather than a quick change-over. There are so many things to learn before you become competent.

Only a few weeks back I asked a friend if he regarded himself as competent rather than using the words learner, intermediate or advanced. Without hesitation he said he thought he was competent yet he floats his kite at 12 o'clock and does other things that mark him as novice but he isn't a learner.

Some riders who appear accomplished still don't have the ability to judge a passing situation where one kite needs to be high and one needs to be low or someone needs to turn, they're not learners. Either selfish or more likely showing novice traits.
craigboddington

.....once you've removed your board handle.

I still have a handle
Last edited by craigboddington on Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sergio

...once you no longer feel the need to strap a go pro to your head.
gudge

The progression DVD's are probably a good guide
southseasailor

When you keep coming home in one piece! that shows you must be good:)

I'd say going upwind, downwind and able to fly any given size kite for your weight well, in the winds its meant for...and knowing when enough is enough.

Being able to recover a lost board, able to packdown?

I know self launching is a hot topic, I wouldnt say you HAVE to be able to do this...but at least be able to self land, it suprised me that one lad I know couldnt do this despite over 4 yrs of kiting under his belt.

Not forgetting that you were once a learner, and willing to help others out if they require it? some helpful freindly advice goes a long way.
Vervet

When no matter what happens in a wipeout etc... your feet are still in the straps ready to go!
waverider

Last time we had a thread along these lines the whole thing got to be quite attitude-philanthropic, at that time we had many more Sling-Sluts.

I use, "Attitude-philanthropic" for want of a better description, the general feeling at the time was that there are other things to learn than the actual physical skills. Dudes and those with massive egos were recognised as irritants, the rider who placed his ego to one side and asked for help or ran down the beach to help launch or land another rider was regarded as "wanted-on-vovage".

Lets look at the southseasailor Non of us have ever met Rob, he's self taught and probably still struggling with things after a year. If you read his helping comments for learners it's obvious he's no longer a learner. Maybe a novice but he's learnt by bumping into things and the accuracy of his learner comments comes from learning rather than any ego related reason. Rob could probably ride comfortably in 30 knots whereas I couldn't yet there is a lot I could teach Rob about the things I can't do.

Some of you are learning all the time because you push your boundaries, others are happy to be involved in the sport at a much lower level but they're not learners, neither are they novice. I meet skilful riders who play British-Bulldog on the sea as if it's a competition for the Man-of-the-year, they clearly need to go back to school for a few lessons.