S/H kite market where are they?

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
kite-uk

S/H kite market where are they?

Post by kite-uk »

Is it me or has the second hand kite market for kites around 2009/10 just non exsistant

Ok any one with lots of dosh to spend on kites this subject's not for you.. please do go and buy the new kites and pass them on to us mear mortals on a pension :lol: :lol:

But I lost out on a really decent 13m Waroo 2009 ( muppet seller ) of late and that was the first 2009 Waroo I have seen in months for sale..

Also not seen any Bularoo's or Nemasis OK I am talking Best kites but I am sure the supply of older kites has dryed up some what.. even for other brands.

is every one holding onto them.. ? Come on rich kids go out and spend some money on some new gear and we can have your old stuff :lol:

sw67

Re: S/H kite market where are they?

Post by sw67 »

As kite are so expensive i have stopped changing them every other year. 2 of my kites are from 2009 and the other 2 are 2011.

i now use them ( from new ) until they are only fit for the bin and will replace when req

I guess thats why supply has dried up if more people are thinking the same

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

yes I agree new kites are eye watering in price.. I will never be able to afford one unless I win the lotto. Esp when you think you need at least 3 different sizes for the waters by me. I use every thing from 13 , 11, 9 and some times a 6

BrightonSurf

Post by BrightonSurf »

2009 kite is now 4 seasons old. That is normally when they really start to fall apart - unless they have had very light usage. Best strategy in my opinion is to buy last years model complete with bar for around £500 (you can often get one with little use from someone in London who never gets to the beach and there are alot of deals about in the winter) and then use it for a couple of years and try to sell it for £300. £100 a year for a kite is pretty good going. One of the problem with kites is they just dont last compared to other recreational goods you might spend £1000 on like a decent bike.

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

that's very much like how I have bought my kites, Very little use on the 9 and 13 but the 11 has been used more as local but it was the ONLY one I had seen for sale all year and I still have not seen a 2009 11m Waroo for sale since. It's good It just needed a clean as it was white. I may replace the bridle as it's come up so well. Young lad didn't clean it as well I think after use.

I was tempted very tempted by the Gastra offer last year with the big discounts off new kit but just didn't quite pull the trigger but people I know have and are very pleased with their purchases.

matt_s
Antispam: No

Post by matt_s »

it's also a time of year thing, the second hand market is fairly sparse at the moment as alot of people are in hibernation waiting for "next season" when it warms up a bit, and the days get longer you get more people on the water thinking "if only I had a new kite, I would be so much better...." it'll start to pick up again :-)

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

Good point.. I have been looking very hard for the last year from say.. April. till now daily. So yes there where some in the summer but older ones.. I guess I will have to sit back and wait.

still gutted about that London 13m waroo with new bar :? 100% what I need to complete the upgrade all round. Newer 13m the model I wanted ( esp the year ) and newer bar and lines.. I am still with rage inside.. ( muppet ) and breath

anyway I need to get back out on the water.. been out twice this year need to get going again I am thinking can I get out tomorrow. 8)

I will have to look out for a demo day some time and check out other makes.

gazxtreme

Post by gazxtreme »

Just to play devils advocate, I've had 6 2012 kites for sale for the last 2 months but the problem is people want them for nothing and there's a limit to how little you will accept for a kite before you feel you might as well give it to a mate for free. I feel there are still people who look at a 2005 or older kites on ebay for £100 and think that's the going rate for kit. It's an expensive hobby just as paragliding, skydiving, mountain biking etc and you can't expect to do it on too much of a tight budget. You can pay more for a new pair of mountain bike wheels than for a 2 year old kite, the kites are there for sale but maybe not at a price you want to pay.

The Crundge

Post by The Crundge »

Ive got some second hand kites and boards you can buy!!!

Agree, wrong time of year. As a buyer I can get a really good couple of year old kite for a bargain price... as a seller i want as much money as possible- but aint gonna happen. Its a buyers market.

highalpha_pass

Post by highalpha_pass »

Yep feeling this one myself. Trying to sell my 09 Vegases and it looks like £175 is too much for a 10m kite. I've got a 7m that is literally like new. Couple of hundred quid and hardly any interest. I think all the real buyers have fired off to do something else. There's only the wheeler-dealers left trying to get them for as little as possible. We-buy-any-kite.com. We-buy-any-kite.com. Any.any.any.any.any. Actually no not yours. :mrgreen:

The Crundge

Post by The Crundge »

Any.any.any.any.any. Actually no not yours.

Hahaha, yeah I've got 4 boards im trying to get rid of.. cos im a muppet it took me 4 attempts to get the right one. No ones in the mood for buying. I blame christmas. Bah humbug!

gixerkarl

Post by gixerkarl »

well i fancy a wainman boss if anyone has one,id consider a zephyr at a push :-D

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

I think because I am also just looking at the one make it is harder I guess that's because I have only played about with other kites but stuck with the best ones as I know what I am looking at I wouldn't know on end of an RRD to a North to a Flexifoil.. But best I at least know some thing..

Yeah i guess if you know other makes there are prob some decent prices to be had for kites. Just have to keep watching it all.. I have a nice set at the mo but it's always good to keep them topped up with the best you can get..

I have not tried other boards.. I went from a 2003 Sqaure one ( don't laugh it was good ) to a lightwave Dave board again big 144 x 44 I have a North Defender Board I have not even tried yet so will give that a go in the summer :-D

matt_s

Post by matt_s »

highalpha_pass wrote: We-buy-any-kite.com. We-buy-any-kite.com. Any.any.any.any.any. Actually no not yours. :mrgreen:

Lol (shame you've not got a 9m... Feeling like the gap between my 7 and 10 is too much and looking for something cheap to bridge it with to see if I would use it much.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there was some dude trying to sell an ancient 20m Rhino with a buy it now price of £500.... :shock:

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

You got to love the optimism. :lol: