S/H kite market where are they?

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
mart.cou
Antispam: No

Re: S/H kite market where are they?

Post by mart.cou »

..and that is why shops go bust - people are not prepared to pay rrp - does anybody really pay full rrp for kites anyway???
fact
i even cringe when i see 30% discounted off rrp
cycling is massively better value for money gary :roll:

its over priced and snobbery to justify and a reason why so few kids can enter the sport unless they have parents throwing money at them....

ebay and mega bargains are my only hope to survive given my earning power nowadays :/

rant over - heres hoping for more van owners and back yard deals 8) - no wonder best kiteboarding grew - shame they got to the top of the pile and upped their prices

The Crundge

Post by The Crundge »

it would make a good caravan awning or something!

BrightonSurf

Post by BrightonSurf »

mart.cou wrote:..and that is why shops go bust - people are not prepared to pay rrp - does anybody really pay full rrp for kites anyway???
fact
i even cringe when i see 30% discounted off rrp
cycling is massively better value for money gary :roll:

its over priced and snobbery to justify and a reason why so few kids can enter the sport unless they have parents throwing money at them....

ebay and mega bargains are my only hope to survive given my earning power nowadays :/

rant over - heres hoping for more van owners and back yard deals 8) - no wonder best kiteboarding grew - shame they got to the top of the pile and upped their prices

There is a real culture in kitesurfing of wanting to get a big discount on everything, which must make trying to run a shop a bit of a nightmare. If you do a bit of online research you can see alot of shops have been making a loss since 2008/2009, with quite a few retail outlets now finding themselves in a pretty big hole. Most brands seem to prefer to sell through shops but if enough of them go under maybe we will see more brands selling direct or through local schools.

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

Retail and the internet don't mix if you are a retailer. I am for a different market. On line we can't make decent mark up's it all has to be given away at huge profit loss but it's a sale. Then the one customer that complaines about ANY THING is the B***** internet customer who paid sod all for it. Some fabrics we make £0.99p a meter on them and they then moan about postage price being £3.99. Then want to pay on a Credit card -3.4% for the retailer.

The future is no shops to be honest just units. I moved to a unit for my company 13 years ago and ditched the shop.. most said that was a wrong move, they ( the shops ) are no longer around to tell me I was right :roll:

But we get a few calls from people chasing a saving and for all our stuff we change the code numbers and names so they can't do it. Fight fire with fire.

But then you see some shops can get away with charging huge mark ups and they que up to get ripped off! amazing really.. may be I should have a " Hurry 50% off in our January sale must end this week " Feb, March,April, May, June, July ....................... Hil***** Blinds. One of my competitors. I built a company on offering a straight price and old fashioned discounts if you buy more.. seems I may have to match them..

Oh and the best part our discount online shop has to be under a different name because people then get you out to ask for a free measure, free advice, free design and then try and buy it all on line from you!
so all 3 shops are underdifferent names madness... I could tell you some stories

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

just a thought

Why is it the kite companies think we need the lastest this the lastest that.?

I mean for me I would be just as happy to buy a 2009 Waroo design NOW new..

I think that might have been half the problem, they chased the lastest colour the lastest name the lastest ..... who bloody cares.. When it's worn out I will replace it.. just as happy to change it for the same but newer..

If lets just take the waroo for now.. was so good for them.. why did they stop making it ???

thetrash

Post by thetrash »

To make something new and "better" than the previous model. If kite companies thought like you we still be flying two line kites and big directionals!

Stevez

Post by Stevez »

Yep I'm in the same boat really, got 09 rev's but looking and waiting to see if any 2010 edge's rustle out from winter hibernation. We all have dreams. :-D

TonyP

Post by TonyP »

Why don't you give up on the 09 waroo an try a kahoona if you wanna stay with best ?
More of those on the market (eBay) can use your best bar then , or even a taboo .

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

Hi Tony.. ( still got your North board ) yeah I know I will have to move up and onwards in the end your right. I am avoiding V1 and V2 Kahoona's in favour of V3 + but since I have been with my 2009 11m Waroo over the 07 and 08 wow the difference is huge, even to my untrained eye. Hence I will just keep looking for me anyway.. Like what was mentioned is to just sit back and wait.. Bularoo 2010 is also on the list. again to keep it all with the best bar...

Yeah Tony the board was gathering dust in my workshop on the wall for almost 4 years.. before it hit the water.. but now it has.. but I am using my litewave board the most. But I do intend to get out on my North defender this year. I gave it ago last year the difference between the two board is huge. For me this year is about a few smaller jumps, turning on the move and getting more up wind. still in 4 months on the water it's been going well.. I now have not used my buggy or land board to the point that the tyres gone flat :lol: :lol: they had 7 years good use :wink:

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

thetrash wrote:To make something new and "better" than the previous model. If kite companies thought like you we still be flying two line kites and big directionals!

not every one wants better i feel.. I have tried some newer kites and there's not much in them against one of my kites, there now 3 years newer and 4 times as much in cost. I agree that cutting edge stuff new designs is all good news it's being developed but do we really need it. ( well some of us ) Just want a safe newish kite..

what if say a kite company thinks.. well this was a good design it sold well and people are still coming into the sport new then we will remake a classic design called " X " and there you go.. sales of an older design at a cheaper price I think would do well.
there are lots and lots of new kiters coming on to the water year on year. Alot of you where on old C kites. Then the big range of De powered kites came in and changed every thing..

thetrash

Post by thetrash »

kite-uk wrote:
thetrash wrote:To make something new and "better" than the previous model. If kite companies thought like you we still be flying two line kites and big directionals!

not every one wants better i feel.. I have tried some newer kites and there's not much in them against one of my kites, there now 3 years newer and 4 times as much in cost. I agree that cutting edge stuff new designs is all good news it's being developed but do we really need it. ( well some of us ) Just want a safe newish kite..

what if say a kite company thinks.. well this was a good design it sold well and people are still coming into the sport new then we will remake a classic design called " X " and there you go.. sales of an older design at a cheaper price I think would do well.
there are lots and lots of new kiters coming on to the water year on year. Alot of you where on old C kites. Then the big range of De powered kites came in and changed every thing..

At some point your kites were new and cutting edge, that wouldn't have happened if they didn't develop kites.
As for selling older designs for less I don't think the R and D cost is a significant chunk of a kites rrp, I guess you can get a larger percentage off from a shop on a year old 30% model.

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

I see your point but do you think they sold many new kites last year.

TonyP

Post by TonyP »

Why not do a google search for rocking horse shit you'll prob have better luck than finding a 09 waroo in good condition .
2010 Bularoo , only a ltd made and nearly all with bladder probs. Kahoona is the way to go, few on eBay at mo.
good luck .

rakeem15

Post by rakeem15 »

TonyP wrote:Why not do a google search for rocking horse shit you'll prob have better luck than finding a 09 waroo in good condition .
2010 Bularoo , only a ltd made and nearly all with bladder probs. Kahoona is the way to go, few on eBay at mo.
good luck .

Exactly.

Smartphone market - 2 billon in size. Apple sell 100s of millions of new iPhone every year = gazillions of 2nd hand ones.

UK Kiteboarding market - 50,000 (bit of a guess). Multiple brands selling ever more expensive kites designed to last more than a year = tiny 2nd hand market, particularly given you want a specific kite from a specific year in a specific size.

waverider

Post by waverider »

gazxtreme wrote:Just to play devils advocate, I've had 6 2012 kites for sale for the last 2 months but the problem is people want them for nothing and there's a limit to how little you will accept for a kite

Same applies even if they're 2009 or 2010/11, if kites are in good condition they have a higher value than most skinflints are prepared to pay. A lot of riders who don't manage to get out as often as they would like have three/four years old kites that are fairly close to as-new, sadly they are priced by buyers in the same bracket as kites that have been dragged, smashed, left to go skunky, with frayed bridles and leaking bladders. Also, selling stuff on this forum attracts a lot of time wasters. I know of a few who won't even bother posting an advert and will go directly to e-Bay.