How Many UK Kiteboarders are there?

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
rakeem15

Post by rakeem15 »

Back of a fag maths...

1. This forum has 9853 members. Let's say that 2/3rds are still active UK kitesurfers.
2. Let's say that this forum has coverage of about 1/5th of all UK active kitesurfers.

...that gives 66% * 9853 = 6503 * 500% = roughly 32000 active UK kitesurfers.

How do we feel about these figures/estimates on coverage?

Superman

Re: How Many UK Kiteboarders are there?

Post by Superman »

MattPearce

Post by MattPearce »

There's probably more than 10 but probably also less than a million.

rakeem15

Post by rakeem15 »

helpful!

paulie_amoose

Post by paulie_amoose »

Too many...

when there are over 5 in my favorite lagoon...

Ed_H

Post by Ed_H »

Surely it can't be anywhere near 32,000. More like 3,200.

I'm intrigued, there must be someone who has a good idea, some of you industry insiders.

andyc08
Antispam: No

Post by andyc08 »

Well here near the geographical centre of the country, there's 2 of us that I know of in a population of 310,000. If someone has a figure for kitesurfers/head of population at a few coastal locations I'm sure we could come up with a figure.

Somewhere between 5 and 32,000 has my money!

kiteingcolin

Post by kiteingcolin »

What would be intresting to know is the conversion from newbies to main stream, and how many say they are kite surfers who actually only have had a days course and a garage with unused kit hung up like my used once push bike.
I tried to keep track of the guys who I taught many years back, and my rough estimate came out as quite a surprise,out of 100 students ( this was C kite only Days ) only around 15 to 20 went on to main stream kitesurfing 3 of them went on to instructor level and still run schools, of the rest it was a short fad, some had been bought the course and stopped straight after , many were shocked how scary the first days of water training were especially the full pack down bit, and it became the beginning of the end for many, that is one hard thing to do in choppy deep water,
The conversion rate will be much higher now due to easy to fly kites and safer bar line sets.
But the good news for the industry is that nearly all the trainees bought some gear to get into the feel of being a kite surfer with some buying a full set of kites even before their first lesson
All a bit slightly off thread, but many claim to be kite surfer but only on the strength of owning a wetsuit a DVD and a 3 hour tasting session.

andyc08

Post by andyc08 »

".......many claim to be Kitesurfers..."
What qualifies someone as a kitesurfer?
Had the lessons and can safely setup and ride? Number of sessions per year?
I'd pass on the first but disappointingly fail on the second- not through lack of trying to get to the coast though.
Thinking on, there's 3 that I know of in a 25 mile radius here in the W.Midlands. Ones instructor qualified but probably only managed to get in half a dozen sessions last year.

kiteingcolin

Post by kiteingcolin »

that's a good line to consider,
To be a level one kite surfer from a 4 level structure, 4 being hardcore martini level.

Level one - all the kit, able to sail around in most conditions, getting out only on holidays and summery warm week ends
Somewhere under level one are the groups know as, newbies, beginners, wannabes, improvers,
Below this group contain such sub life examples of idiots, pillocks, death seekers, single brain cell no hopers, and other beach scum.

highalpha_pass

Post by highalpha_pass »

Sounds like a tricky one to qualify that. Depends what you're wanting to achieve.

I reckon you need to get someone from every kitesurfing beach who knows the numbers week-in-week-out to give a min-max figure of people that actually get a session in. That of course will be weather dependent.

The larger figures might tell you who is 'interested' in kitesurfing but then the practicalities and commitment factors of real life come in to play !!

highalpha_pass

Post by highalpha_pass »

Colin there's a part of me that's in all those groups :mrgreen:

Apart from level 4 :(

Too Much Wind

Post by Too Much Wind »

I don't kiteboard, i kitesurf does this count? :wink:

TMW

andyc08

Post by andyc08 »

"I don't kiteboard, i kitesurf does this count?"

I think I saw the same question on the "Kitesurf.co.uk" forum :D

-rfx-

Post by -rfx- »

I live and kite all around Cornwall. Going off what I see at the beaches x the number of beaches that will work on a any given day. I'd say there are about 70 hardcore kiters who ride a lot, all year round. And maybe double that to include the occasional riders and summer riders. Even on a perfect sunny summer day, I doubt we get more than maybe 100 on the water in the whole county. 270 on the Facebook page though.