The Big Charity Downwinder

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
Fonz
Antispam: No

The Big Charity Downwinder

Post by Fonz »

Surely this is s'thing all kitesurfers would wanna get involved with??

If you have not heard about it then take a look at the FB page; two main objectives are:

a) Set a new World Record for the ‘Largest Parade of Kitesurfers’ ever!

b) Complete a fundraising downwinder from Hayling Island to Lancing – to raise as much money for Snow-Camp and the RNLI as possible!

Although the organisers are hoping for 250 kiters on the day for the record breaking bit they'll need 400+ kiters with genuine intentions if they'll be 250 on the day. The event will take place on the first w'end in September that the conditions will allow, so it stands to reason a lot of kiters are needed. Your kind of thing?

Kitesurfkings Team are event sponsor/partners and have a team, if you want to be part of the KSK Team but we haven't taught you to kitesurf and you've not yet been invited then drop us a line. Part of a team or not, everyone needs to register and get involved who can, it's a great event and great opportunity to raise money for charity.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBigCharityD ... 2544333196

Handy s'one's created a live wind app for the arrival beach: http://weather.kitesurfkings.com

kite-uk

Re: The Big Charity Downwinder

Post by kite-uk »

I've just caught up with this and I am interested for sure.

Not sure I could do 45 miles !! shame it's as far but I could give it ago and see.. ( I mean as in try a test run in the next few weeks to do some distance riding )

do we know how many people are up for this? I am local but I am not going to say I am the best rider in the world. I have been doing more than ok over the last 8 months riding. ( I was a buggy rider and other land kites for 7 years so not new to kites )

I am well used to high wind riding and low wind I am out anything up to twice a week even over winter. Tried new area's BRS and Blackpool. I think I can do this.. just wanted to ask do you think I can?

I may not use my Flexifoil Force though LOL... looking to use Best Waroo. EG I can fly with my eyes closed with them.

But I would love to do it.. will give me some thing to aim for and train for..... i'm 41 and this is just the sort of thing I would love to do.....before I get too old LOL :mrgreen:

rakeem15

Post by rakeem15 »

I've signed up.

You only have to kite for the first mile to be part of the record, after that it's up to you how far you go...

blue_eyes

Post by blue_eyes »

I think there are different stopping points for people with different abilities :-D

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

OK I'm in :-D

apart from I have 2 Birthdays in the Sept Weekend I should be able to have a support van as well..

45 miles is a heck of a way! when I guess alot of us have been just " Mowing the Lawn " up and down the 500 yards at our local spots LOL!

I think I should be able to make Pagham, then I would be happy! 4hrs out with out peeing :shock: :lol:

Heck of a way to mark my first year of kitesurfing as I started in Sept last year. I best get this bike out the shed then and get training.. build up my legs! The trip will be fueled by Redbull I think!

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

that virgin money thing is great. Already at £80 I put in £250 as a target and well with any luck I could beat that with ease.

I am now wishing I had not sold my old square one board as it's so big you could almost lye on that and ride along it was effortless.

It's certainly along way ! glup! :lol:

Toby

Post by Toby »

45 Miles is a long way, but not impossible for anybody who kites fairly regularly. My Brother and I have done a fair few downwinders in the past, a couple of weeks back we did about a third of the route (from Littlehampton to Shoreham).

We found that the speed you can go and how tired your legs get on each tack is really dependent on the sea state. When we could get in-between the surf and blast down wind on the flat water we made really good progress, but it was much harder going out at sea in the chop. We did that section in 2.5hrs, but we spent a quite while throwing down tricks in each good spot along the way, and got distracted by a few good waves, I'd say we could have done it in 50min if we wanted.

I think the you just need to be able to ride fairly directly down wind on Heel and Toe side on both tacks while not dropping the kite (helps to be well powered), lazy carving turns also help to keep you on an edge but not going upwind.

250+ kites out along the coast, it will be an awesome spectacle! Cant wait.

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

Well that is the next part I am going to learn is turning quicker. I do it my way long way round so need to practice. I got 4 months to learn it.

So is a bigger board best eg you can get to stand up more and rest abit on the flats.

I'm looking forward to it and also know its a long way. Started training by bike first, my legs are not 25 any more :lol:

talldan

Post by talldan »

HI everyone, thanks so much for all the enthusiasm for the event, we have been blown away by the response from kiters and the kiting industry!

Great that people want to get involved - answers to all the questions above are at the website: http://www.snow-camp.org.uk/events/big- ... downwinder

There is an event overview, and a map of the test run, which took 3 hrs 15 minutes to complete (and was an amazing experience!) You can also watch the film of Lewis introducing the event so loads of info.

Hope that helps and thanks again for wanting to get involved! See you in September!
Dan, Snow-Camp

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

Hi Dan I think it's a mad idea which is why I wanted to be part of it..

At least I have 4 more months to brush up my skills esp long distance riding.. This is all your fault I have had to get my bike out of the shed today and pump the tyres up to start training :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: To be honest this is some thing I needed personaly to aim for and get fitter.

I think the sight of seeing so many kites up and in one area is going to be amazing! Your have to get some sort of Web cam sorted for people on here who can't make it down.

So is Mr Branson doing it then? He should do..

Toby

Post by Toby »

kite-uk wrote: So is a bigger board best eg you can get to stand up more and rest abit on the flats.

Good Question.... It should allow you to stand more upright and get weight of back leg, but then if its choppy a bigger board can be a pain (literally) to control. Im trying to decide between doing it on my short (127cm) Twin Tip or on this old Hybrid wave board I've got. The wave board is defiantly more comfortable for cursing down wind and carving, faster too, but as its got virtually no buoyancy its impossible to jive (well I can't jive it :oops: ), so I would be stuck on one tack the whole way, or have to keep stopping to swap stance! In the end I'll probably opt for the TT though as I suspect I will want to jump on occasion...

I hope Mr Branson is in! There are a few things I'd like to talk to him about at the after party :wink: :wink:

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

I had an old square one board that i was more like a wind surf board.. it was so floaty I could just ride it for miles!

So 144 x 44 for me then.. I best polish it up and may it as slippy as possible :wink:

Going to be interesting for sure and an amazing sight!

talldan

Post by talldan »

Cheers guys and yes we are going to a whole load of filming - we need a helicopter actually as Guinness World Records require aerial photography to justify the record being broken...so if anyone has one knocking around :-D

ps: Yes, I have enquired to see if Mr Branson is free....you never know!

tjah1087

Post by tjah1087 »

talldan wrote:Cheers guys and yes we are going to a whole load of filming - we need a helicopter actually as Guinness World Records require aerial photography to justify the record being broken...so if anyone has one knocking around :-D

ps: Yes, I have enquired to see if Mr Branson is free....you never know!

ali barrett could do something with his RC chopper?

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

I'm sure Mr Branson has a company he uses he could ask.

On film, I best do my hair nice then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: oh i'm wearing a helmet :? :lol: