Flying high aspect kites in light winds

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
BrightonSurf

Does anyone know if it is common for high aspect ratio race kites to get stuck at the edge of the window and refuse to turn in light winds ( 6-7 knots max)
Blast

Down loop them maybe?
sunrise

Yep very common. High aspect kite tend to fly further forward in the window than normal. Here they can meet the equilibrium where the wind is strong enough to keep the kite in the air but not strong enough to overcome gravity and make the kite rise. The kite is “ locked at the edge of the window”.
Solution.

1 Pull the bar in and increase the drag on the kite forcing it back.
2 if riding try and gain board speed then head up wind as you pull the bar
3 down loop if you have room.
Prevention.
Sign the kite at the edge of the window keeping air speed in it..
always give enough room for a down loop escape a soon as the line go soggy.
With time you won't let it happen.
BrightonSurf

Thanks for the advice on that. This was when I was in the water with the kite at 45 degrees. Not sure down looping is an option. I think next time if sheeting the kite in doesnt work I will pull on both steering lines at once and try to get the kite to reverse into the power
Roland

BrightonSurf wrote:I will pull on both steering lines at once and try to get the kite to reverse into the power
What!!!! ........... :shock:
Tone

what kite?
BrightonSurf

It is a 16m Crossbow. Does seem to work in fairly light winds, but have to be careful if it is ultra light. Pulling both steering lines together like you are reverse launching it does seem to cause it to fall back in the window, but i think I will just avoid ultra light winds from now on :-)
Tone

BrightonSurf wrote:It is a 16m Crossbow. Does seem to work in fairly light winds, but have to be careful if it is ultra light. Pulling both steering lines together like you are reverse launching it does seem to cause it to fall back in the window, but i think I will just avoid ultra light winds from now on :-)
What year is it?