Fukushima any one concerned?

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
kite-uk

It's not getting any better is it.. but lets look at the worse case

FISH! and US

Fish being that it's a HUGE massive industry would they really hide the facts from us the public?

This week in California they are just starting to talk about the Blue Fin Tuna being affected by the fall out at the plant. I am thinking this is because of the leaks are getting worse!

As the UK does import alot of Fish from the far East which is far more affected by this.. it's a concern and if your not concerned then you should be.

US

Well we are in the water and here in Southampton they picked up higher levels of radio active waters as quick as 2 weeks after the first issue.

It's well diluted but how long will it go on before it becomes a bigger issue..??????

It's a concern..
rakeem15

kite-uk wrote:here in Southampton they picked up higher levels of radio active waters as quick as 2 weeks after the first issue.
I'm no oceanographer, but it seems a tad unrealistic for northern pacific waters to make it into the Solent in a fortnight...

However, is it a concern? Yes. Mainly because it's caused Germany to close all of it's nuclear plants and switch to coal instead.
Too Much Wind

kite-uk wrote:It's a concern..
Be realistic. You are more at danger from dying in an automobile accident on your way to the beach than you are from any dangers of fall out from japan.

TMW
BrightonSurf

I have stopped eating tinned tuna, I might also cut out cod liver oil - the real danger is it getting in the food chain for me. If I was on the West Coast of the US or the Hawaiian Islands I would be a bit concerned since there are direct currents. By the time it gets to the channel it will be pretty diluted (the ocean is a very big place), bacteria in sewage is probably a much bigger worry. 2 weeks does seem pretty fast for water to travel all that way, do you have a link to that?

Here is a link to radioactivity in tuna:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/fukushi ... n-seafood/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kite-uk

I agree that we have to understand the sea is a vast place I agree

2 weeks to Southampton yes it was on line some where quoting some person from the university. I will try and find that again.

I would rather have Japan leak in the water than some where like Russa or Iran as they would I am sure keep quite. That Russan one is a right old mess. Roof is about to fall in any time soon winter snow weight on the roof. Dust cloud over Europe and all that.

Also I did say i was looking at worse case. But it is of concern.
GRF
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Well...

But then again as a kid growing up in the fifties with all those Nuclear tests, there were hundreds of them, atmosphere, surface, underground, it's no wonder that cancer these days is so prevalent. But it is a worry, as was that Russian place that blew up and we've all forgotten, polluted lamb in the welsh hills, I wonder really what the combined build up has been over the years, given the half life of all this radio active stuff goes on for ages.

Personally I think micro waves and cel phones cause more problems than we really attribute them.

Tin foil is the answer

or a Wet towel round your head.

But you'll end up dead anyway.
dedalus

Guess where Im off to on Thursday ? So no not really.

Our oldest Kitesurfer Danny witnessed the bikini atoll tests - and he is still kitesurfing in his 70's - I recon the nukes killed all the potential causes of death in his body and he is now immortal - he certainly kites that way!
sapre

Surfing in camber with dungeness in the background always gives me the creeps, radiation levels gotta be higher around there. are the uk plant watertight? I doubt it...
wardr77
Antispam: No

Its a well known fact if you stand at exactly the right distance from a radioactive source, not too near and not too far away, you will become a superhero. I frequently kitesurf at Camber and often head towards Dungerness in the vain hope of reaching this Goldilocks position, but to no avail. I thought I had it once when I managed to pull off a clean forward roll transition, but I f**ked the next one up so realized it was not the case.
I have also checked my shit with a geiger counter to make sure I won't be puking up my intestines in the near future..... I have not done this.
RichTW

I am an Oceanographer and have been to Sendai (place of the Tsunami) and also to Fukushima (post event)! Whilst airborne radiation can be spread very widely and quickly (Chernobyl) it is highly unlikely that Oceanic radiation would spread from Japan to the Solent in the timescales indicated! Obviosuly long term it will spread there is some good data that has been done by the US agency NOAA showing the spreading rates - I would be more worried about eating Pacific Tuna at this stage!
southseasailor

Why on earth would Germany choose coal? (earlier post on this thread) its not like they would get hit with a tidal wave that easily is it? unless you watch that documentary on the Canaries and how part of one of those islands could slide into the ocean and cause such a huge wave that the USA and parts of Europe will get a caning.

Nah, wouldn't worry about the radiation. Its more the canned fish you might want to be careful of..mind you would be easy to find at night, all glowing away:)

A long time ago some airborne tests were done not too far from the Falklands, which as some of you know is my part of the planet:) (cue a fanfare and fireworks) during that time a plane, believed to be US Airforce flew over and around the Islands. No one could raise it on the radio. It was probably testing radiation levels.

Fact: Cancer, per head of population, is VERY high here. Its too late, once you screw around with DNA and other structures, they remain so for generations.

Enjoy your life, go kiting! :)
waverider

I suppose your level of concern should be in line with your age and natural mortality.

When I was offered these contraversial cobalt chrome hip re-surfacings I had to accept cobalt ions uptake into my blood stream and the chance they might cause problems. At the age of 70 and ten-twelths there are other concerns. If I spend my time being concerned and the most enduring thought as they wheeled me along the corridors was the considerations of a notable German rocket inventor,
"The biggest risk is not taking a risk"
I also have silicone lens-replacement implants in my eyes enabling me to see round corners and through ladies outer garments.

Without accepting risks I would now be blind and in a wheel chair, you can thank me for being a pioneer later. Hopefully, much later. :-D

Yesterday I was kitesurfing, today i'm riding my bike.
rakeem15

southseasailor wrote:Why on earth would Germany choose coal? (earlier post on this thread) its not like they would get hit with a tidal wave that easily is it?
My thoughts exactly, but it reveals just how confused the environmental/energy discourse has become.

And at least the Germans are building power plants; meanwhile we're closing ours and not replacing them (or at least we're replacing them with wind farms which are not the answer) resulting in the UK's spare capacity dropping from 25% to 7% in only 6 years.

If you want power you either need to burn stuff or do something else. I cannot see any viable alternative to nuclear in the 'do something else' category for the next 30 years. We might be able to do something significant with tidal/wave power in the UK but it's so far away from being proven and cost effective.
waverider

southseasailor wrote:Why on earth would Germany choose coal?
Polish coal perhaps, the Germans don't show signs of economic stupidity though how do they get around their EU carbon thingy if they're going back to the dark ages ?

They probably have a trick-or-two up their sleeve when it comes to burning coal and aren't they surrounded by nations that burn coal ?
Femto

kite-uk wrote: It's a concern..
Long time KB lurker and seldom poster here - things like this get my back up though!!

The dangers of radiation are so misunderstood, may i suggest this link to offer some perspective;

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Ironically, coal power stations releases more radioactive material into the atmosphere (coal ash contains radioactive particles) than nuclear accidents have.....