Wetsuit shampoo

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
C4C

Any recommendations for a wetsuit shampoo?

And are they actually worth it? After a week in Tiree I think
My suit deserves a spruce...
bri

Piss Off !!!!
https://www.kingofwatersports.com/item. ... -i602.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

done mine, works well.
Sonnyrider

Or Woolite

any powder \ liquid for delicates

put the machine on a wool cycle

We do ours every few months
BillyGoat

Sonnyrider wrote:
put the machine on a wool cycle
What cycle for the kites then :?
C4C

Happy days...

I forgot about the piss off brand hahaha...

Machine wash??? Are you for real??!! Does that really work??
joe_mgh

A machine wash may seem to not harm your wetsuit, but it will break down the glue and invalidate the warranty. If your wetsuit is outside it's warranty, fill your boots.

We can smell a machine washed wetsuit before we even open the package of a return...
C4C

Ahh no this ones still under warrantee but I have an old one I might just try a wool wash on...

On the warrantee note the wife got me a mystic last Xmas and it's a cracking suit! But I've only just found
Out that it has split on the back of the leg where the stitching goes... Pretty pee'd off tbh. I'll post a pic.
C4C

as you can see it is splitting on the stitching around the S

any mystic reps use this forum?

image hosting more than 5mb
defever
Antispam: No

I use an ordinary mouthwash. Fill the bathtub enough to submerge the wetsuit, harness, etc, few cap fills of mouthwash, soak it for 10min or so and rinse.

What makes the kit smell is obviously the bacteria that builds up its colony on your kits. Bacteria come from the sea, air, and your skin. Especially in your boots, skin from your toes remains in your boot and with moist and warmth, the bacteria thrives. They feed off your skin...

Mouthwash is made to kill bacteria in your mouth (warm and moist, there's food bits). Works the same with wetsuit. Mouthwash is already diluted so there is no risk of using it too much and it's probably same as using "weak detergent" as many major wetsuit brands recommend for maintenance.

I don't know if any ingredient in a mouthwash has any harmful effect to neoprene. So I will not take any responsibility for you trying this. I would be wrong, but I do this every other session and it's been fine.

Would be interesting to compare what's in Rip Curl's piss off, McNett shampoo, and other "wetsuit" shampoo with an ordinary mouthwash.

Rip Curl piss off = about £7.00?
Supermarket value mouthwash = £0.40-0.99...

Of course, the best way to minimise funky smelling wetsuit is to rinse with fresh water every session, as soon as you get out of the water. Meh.
rakeem15

joe_mgh wrote:A machine wash may seem to not harm your wetsuit, but it will break down the glue
even on a cold (30 degrees) wash?
BrightonSurf

What the hell kind of person goes to toilet in their wetsuit
waverider

joe_mgh wrote:A machine wash may seem to not harm your wetsuit, but it will break down the glue and invalidate the warranty. If your wetsuit is outside it's warranty, fill your boots.

We can smell a machine washed wetsuit before we even open the package of a return...
I've been machine washing my suits for a few years now since recommended by JohnB, none of my suits have suffered anything worse than always looking and smelling like new rather than the bottom of a parrots cage.

I wash all my soft gear in the machine, 30 minutes at 30 degrees in Woolite.
tadaska
Antispam: No

I don't wash mine and it doesn't smell. Now and then I rinse it in the shower and then hang it to dry.

BrightonSurf wrote:What the hell kind of person goes to toilet in their wetsuit
There are two types of wetsuit wearer, Those who piss in their suits and those that lie. :-D
waverider

:-D I'm responsible for this sort of accusation and a number of threads that turned out to be very funny though making claim to regularly shitting in your suit has to be regarded as entertainment.

I used to piss in my suit every-time I used it, since I had a motorhome I had a place to empty my bladder and I can't remember the last time I pissed in suit in four years.

I also suffered the smelly-old-man with a weak bladder piss taking until I totted up the admissions for regularly pissing in the suit. So, right now i'm with the Americans who never piss in their suit though unlike the Americans I don't find it so dis-gus-ting and wonder if they all have motorhomes or a place to piss.

Let's face it, pissing in your suit isn't easy. You have to stop whatever you're doing before you can piss though I can lay-claim to pissing down my leg whilst riding commando out in the Red-Sea. Having a shit in your suit requires more concentration and possibly a crouched position so i'll place those claims alongs with all the other bolloxxxxx we get on this forum though it was a laugh.