To pay for warranty exchange???

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
windrt

Hi guys,

Have you ever been asked to pay for a warranty board exchange?
My board has some delamination and top layer cracks issue and I have just been ofered a warranty exchange for a testboard but I need to pay 170€ to get it?

They say:

"Those cracks are weird I have seen them before but only if a board has been over bent.
I have a 143 2013 xxxx here which we used for testing. I would like to offer you his one for warranty exchange for 170€ It looks brand new."

Does that sound normal to you?

Has anybody ever had over bent a board?

Thanks!
tombeaton

that can be translated as "we dont think it is a warranty - we think it was caused by impact/abuse. we want to keep you happy with a cheap replacement"
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Like Tom says,
Called a betterment - common with warranty cases where the board is not a warranty, but the brand wants to make sure the customer has an alternative option other than "no"
windrt

ok, I see.
call I what you want,
the bottom line is that you buy a board with a "fair and reasonable lifetime warranty" against "Board hardware and lamination", your board top layer cracks and delaminates, you ask and the answer you get is: buy another board with a discount so instead of spending a board for your satisfaction we sell you a new one and make more money on you.

:?
BrightonSurf

If you were just riding up and down and it cracks then I would say it is unfair. You you were really loading the board up and landing hard then boards can start to fall apart depending on the construction. Best to do a Google search on the board and see if other people have had the same problem. There are some brands that have got a very bad reputation for delamination.
JGTR

3D top sheet any chance??????

Worst design ever, why build a weak point into a board???
windrt

BrightonSurf wrote:If you were just riding up and down and it cracks then I would say it is unfair. You you were really loading the board up and landing hard then boards can start to fall apart depending on the construction. Best to do a Google search on the board and see if other people have had the same problem. There are some brands that have got a very bad reputation for delamination.
Thanks,
I wish it had hard landings. All I do is ride up and down, obviously I do some tricks, but all I do is wakestyle, which it's suposed to be for, some raleys or backrolls. Nothing more. No boosting, no kiteloops, no way to overbend it!

I'm not very sure what top layer it is, looks like a standard top layer. It's a "Worst" Profanity V1.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

BrightonSurf wrote:very bad reputation for delamination.
there re some issues in the industry at the moment regarding delam, but creasing, that's very different and can be contested.

I had a board once that I warrantied on a closeup shot of the crease, when I received the board back, to say it had been left on the M25 for a week did not do it justice. If I set out to beat it to death with an iron bar, I could not have done as much damage as this. In retrospect this was the only board I have come across that I would not have warrantied. Betterments have been used by many on boards that are a long way out of warranty...

If it's inside the warranty I would not quibble though, Shinn now has a 2 year warranty, and so I believe does Airush, but I never have cause to test it which is high praise. That said, you pay a premium for a reason...
JGTR

there re some issues in the industry at the moment regarding delam, but creasing, that's very different and can be contested.
Owned and seen a few boards with creases, some boards are just not upto proper use despite what manufacturers say. I've had a creased Nobile warrantied.

Seriously Mike how can a crease not be either a poor design or not due to use and therefore should be warrantied???? How else would a board crease?
GRF
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

If it's a warranty it should be replaced, that's what happens with respectable brands, if you haven't learned to make a board that will last after all this time you don't deserve to be in the business. There are lots of duff factories knocking out cheap stuff sold expensive, there are quite a few boards that are built too light to take what we chuck at them.

Stick to established brands, Us at Slingshot, North etc you won't likely get asked for betterment..

Oh, and name and shame, what's the point of us honouring warranties if other companies get away with not so doing.
John.B

gazxtreme

It's your own fault, fancy riding your board up and down continuously and in chop and waves too I bet, I bet you even really abused it by jumping too? If that's equipment abuse then I and hundreds of others are guilty as charged.
The only time you get to find out how good or bad brands and distributers are is when you have a warranty issue, like GRF says stick to better known brands and support local shops and distributers and in return I'm sure they will look after you if you ever have any issues. Too many are now shopping overseas to save a few bucks then if you get hammered by import duty "that the seller failed to mention" you not only end up paying a similar amount to a better known brand but you will be screwed if you have any issues. It's shitty the way you have been treated but you can minimise that risk in the future by sticking with reputable dealers in your area or at least in the UK.
BrightonSurf

windrt wrote:
BrightonSurf wrote:If you were just riding up and down and it cracks then I would say it is unfair. You you were really loading the board up and landing hard then boards can start to fall apart depending on the construction. Best to do a Google search on the board and see if other people have had the same problem. There are some brands that have got a very bad reputation for delamination.
Thanks,
I wish it had hard landings. All I do is ride up and down, obviously I do some tricks, but all I do is wakestyle, which it's suposed to be for, some raleys or backrolls. Nothing more. No boosting, no kiteloops, no way to overbend it!

I'm not very sure what top layer it is, looks like a standard top layer. It's a "Worst" Profanity V1.
Sounds like you have been fobbed off and is probably a manufacturing fault. My advice would be to buy a Shinn board next time they seem to be virtually indestructible. I dont understand how my Monk has not fallen apart after 3 years of punishment given that my ability to take off is alot better than my ability to land :wink: I wouldnt be atall surprised if I wasnt still riding it in 5 years time.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

JGTR wrote:Seriously Mike how can a crease not be either a poor design or not due to use and therefore should be warrantied???? How else would a board crease?
When people get in the shallows, fully loaded so the tips are at full bend/load they then run out of water. Then the fins then hit and it goes way beyond it's normal flex. This is how you kill the tips of the older boards, it's impossible to do it just on the water (with water alone). Also there was a spate of people ripping the fin bolts through the washers and out of the board. Again - impossible to do on the water.

These days all the good boards have the weak points removed, keeping the same flex, and big fin washers to stop them pulling through. You can ride all our boards up the beach with nothing more than cosmetic damage these days, hence the 2 year warranty. Of all the boards I sell get virtually nothing back - the failure rate is tiny. Not seen a failed monk forever yet... long may it continue. And as this thread goes to show, if there is a a disgruntled customer EVERYONE hears about it :-)
windrt

I didn't want to mention the retailer or the brand, but I think it's more than obvious now.
Every day I see friends getting their stuff replaced for any type of failure. Last one was a Brunotti YZ board with a "micro" delamination by the edge. I woulnd't even bother! Retalier got the board exchaned in a couple of weeks time.

I sent an email with pics to the retailer (Uk huge online retailer) and claimed the warranty once I saw it 24th of august.
I got a request asking for the serial and a picture of it in a couple of days, and I replied inmediatly. Fine so far, but since than have never ever heard again from them, not even replied the reminder mails I sent. Completely ignored.
17 of OCTOBER filled in a form on the Best International website and got a reply form US. After a couple of mails I got a phone call from a nice guy from Best EU telling me that he will contact the retailer to see what's goin on.
The next day I get an email from the retailer that they were waiting for Best's answer. Bullshit, it only got me 24hrs to get one.
Now (23rd Oct) they say its' over bent.

Judge yourself:

I'm so pissed off...