To pay for warranty exchange???

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Looks like lacquer cracks, is the board covered in a lacquer? It looks like the stones under the footpads have dug their way through it completely.
None of the photo's show any any structural cracking, but interestingly this is not delamination - just a deterioration & damage of the finishing coat. Delam is when a sheet completely peels off, whereas bits of this may have come off in places where the cracks have isolated and undermined a small section, but looks like the adhesion between the lacquer and the board is fine.
Hope it all works out for you... good luck..
windrt

I just got an email from Best US. They are telling me that it has not been overbent. They've asked me for some more details about the cracks. The file is still open and they are working on it. Thanks Best!
As from my understanding the delamination can start with cracks too, actually the cracks is a type of delamination issue. I can see it coming, the cracks will start to chipp off. The bindings have skratched the surface, it is obvious and happens to all boards. But I see no reason for the cracks. Nobody would accept this on his board.
Let's hope they validate the warranty.

I'll keep you updated!
Nitrokid

GRF wrote:If it's a warranty it should be replaced, that's what happens with respectable brands, if you haven't learned to make a board that will last after all this time you don't deserve to be in the business. There are lots of duff factories knocking out cheap stuff sold expensive, there are quite a few boards that are built too light to take what we chuck at them.

Stick to established brands, Us at Slingshot, North etc you won't likely get asked for betterment..

Oh, and name and shame, what's the point of us honouring warranties if other companies get away with not so doing.
Ive been given a straight no to warranty replacements from Slingshot, and Cabrinha for inserts ripping out of boards. My slingshot board had been used about 20 times tops and was mint, but because it was older than a year they didn't want to know.
I dont ride a Slingshot board now even tho i really liked it.
tombeaton

It is pretty hard to see from those photos - but there seems like a lot of abrasion. I noticed on my wakeboard it is easy to get lots of grit and stones under the bindings. Heavy landings forcing that into the deck will cause damage and would definitely not be considered a warranty.
james

Inserts ripped out with bindings don't get covered by warranty as likely it's outside of the intended purpose, that is more likely the reason rather than being older than a year..

That's why brands make boot boards, hilariously if you read the small print many companies still don't cover ripped inserts on their boot boards...
GRF
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Nitrokid wrote: Ive been given a straight no to warranty replacements from Slingshot, and Cabrinha for inserts ripping out of boards. My slingshot board had been used about 20 times tops and was mint, but because it was older than a year they didn't want to know.
I dont ride a Slingshot board now even tho i really liked it.
If we gave you a straight no, then chances are you broke it through use other than for which it was intended, or some other reason, time is not necessarily a cop out.

A warranty is a warranty against manufacturing defect, which if present will virtually always mean a replacement. If on the other hand it broke because you broke it through abnormal use, despite it being made just fine with no visible defects due to dry glass, bad lamination or any other recognised defect in manufacture, then you get offered what the OP has been offered as a Goodwill gesture, if on the other hand you piss everybody off in the way you approach the retailer or have engaged in a grey import(not saying you have, but it happens) then they dig their heels in and stick to the letter of the law and you end up wearing it. I'm happy to revisit your case if you feel you have been unfairly treated, but it is unlikely that either we or the Slingshot Warranty guy would deal with anyone in anything other than the correct manner according to the law.
waverider

I think we've has this discussion before and i'm now wondering what is improper use of a twin-tip.

At some point in the previous discussions someone pointed out that a 120 kilo bloke landing badly is out of the scope of store-bought twin-tips, then the discussion moved to the expected limitations. As far as i'm aware there are no accepted limitations for a twin-tip either in it's use or who is using it.

Can I add that my twin-tip got caught by a gust of wind on the beach then got po-go-ed along the beach for a good 100 metres before it was restrained. That board took a right good hammering and what happened to it is clearly outside of it's expected use, or is it ?

Both myself and a buddy have the same make twin-tips, he's the 120 kilo big-boy that sometimes lands a belly flop and often runs dry and i'm 73 kilos left-and-right-rider. Talk to me about limitations and would my board have been covered by warranty if it had split and would his board be covered when he landed a belly-flop and broke it ?
james

being a pedant, kitesurf boards are to be used on water, not run dry, not beaches, not rocks, not have fins snapped off when sailed too shallow etc.

if i have ever managed to hurt a board its been the interaction of board and something more solid than water that has done the damage.

any boards i have made have been with carbon, foam and paint with not allowance made for riding up the beach and then complaining its broken. i snapped one crashing a few years ago as i hadn't laminated it properly, therefore a construction issue, therefore a warranty.

windsurf boards, surf boards, kayaks boats are all meant for water use and if you clout them on land you put it down to your own problem NOT trying to claim waranty.
waverider

There is nothing pedantic about your answer James, sounds perfectly sensible to me. What about the weight issues then ?
BrightonSurf

Dont know anything about board construction, but I think whatever you buy should be fit for the purpose it was sold for. With a board riding up the beach or hitting solid objects is obviously outside what is was designed to be used for. Hard riding should not cause a board to fall apart in my opinion, companies often market their boards with professional riders putting the board under fairly extreme loads. If you buy a board that the manufacturer has marketed with a professional rider doing alot of very aggressive freestyle on and then it starts to fall apart because you start landing it hard it is almost false advertising.
waverider

BrightonSurf wrote:Hard riding should not cause a board to fall apart in my opinion, companies often market their boards with professional riders putting the board under fairly extreme loads. .
Thank-you, that's where I was trying to encourage the discussion. Presumably board manufacturers can't start limiting the size of their rider though I would like to think I could buy a light board rather than one built-up for big blokes though that is what is happening so full credit where it's due. When the rider who retrieved my board gave it back he remarked on how light it was and maybe that was why the wind caught it.
james

My two recent boards weigh 1.5 and 1.8 kg after paint, pads and fins and all fastening hardware, no straps on when I weighed them due to them being in the garage ànd it was raining.

The simple fact is that the cost if materials fir the factory is do high compared to what I have used its daft.

For example my core foam is £85 per board the carbon is between £26-£39 per meter

The factories simply cannot use the same things in terms of quality and price of foam and that much carbon hence the shift to wood and glass, their process is faster with less labour and cheaper which is all anyone wants, if they actually used the same materiel as guys like Colin from lost cause board price would be through the roof.

Ŵhen company's do this like Airush with the team boards they are nearly £1000 and with the best will in the world they won't be a big seller for the brand.

Boards should be built to ride hard within the parameters that the brand sets, if they shoôt thrmsekves in the foot by marketing a board beyond its intended usage then vote with your feet and buy a board that is built for the way you intend to ride and treat it
waverider

james wrote: if they shoôt thrmsekves in the foot by marketing a board beyond its intended usage then vote with your feet and buy a board that is built for the way you intend to ride and treat it
That was the theme of the discussion we had some years ago though it didn't get anywhere and there was always the option for a bespoke build. I had a bespoke build twin tip though it was never as good as any of the boards i've ridden in the past five years, possibly because I didn't know what to ask for.

There is at least one regular on this forum that has broken every board he owned though I don't remember who it is.