Anyone been to Sagres - Portugal?

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
tommrics

Looking for a family friendly holiday and I've come across a hotel in Sagres - The Martinhal Beach Resort.

Has anyone been to Sagres. Is it any good etc etc?

Cheers
crow
Antispam: No

Hi, I visited Sagres a few years back - and whilst it was ok to visit I wouldn't choose to do a week there to be honest. It's out on a limb and if kiting is a priority you'll be driving more than you need to either going up to the Atlantic coast beaches near Bordeira or across to Alvor.
Alvor is a nice little town with restaurants etc. and the lagoon was a great spot to kite. Or the Atlantic side would be great if you like things less developed and without much around though not much to do / accommodation. We stayed at both for a bit as we rented a camper from siestacampers and I'd thoroughly recommend that if your family are ok with camping etc. its a great place for it and then you can just stay where the wind is right :-D
rakeem15

In July I stayed at the Memmo Baleeira hotel in Sagres which is at the opposite end of Martinhal beach.

It totally depends on what you want out of the holiday tbh.

It is very quiet compared to the rest of the Algarve, so if you want somewhere away from the crowds then it's perfect. The Martinhal hotel is also very nice as is Martinhal beach. The hotel has it's own watersports facilities and it's good for windsurfing but not so much for kitesurfing as the predominant northerly wind blows offshore (they do have kites to rent though for the right conditions).

Sagres is a quiet little town that mainly attracts the surfers who use it as a base for travelling to all the amazing surf breaks at the various beaches in the area. There's a big supermarket, lots of surf schools/shops and a few surfer's bars/cafes. There are one or two excellent restaurants in town (such as Mammas) and it's all pretty reasonable. Also the fort is really interesting too.

The area is beautiful, the beaches are stunning and are either untouched or have a single beach bar and a few sunbeds only (and no one selling crap/offering Thai massages unlike the main tourist beaches around Albufeira/Faro/Portimao etc.).

...so

- If you want to be able to kite, your kids want to go to the waterpark, you want lively nightlife and just to spend the holiday going from hotel to beach to shops to bars then it's not for you.
- If you want to get away from it all, enjoy the 'real' Portugal away from the masses, take some scenic drives and just chill out in a lovely hotel then I'd go for it!
tommrics

Thanks for the replies gents.

The kiteboarding element is a 'nice to have' if I've got the time!! The youngest family member would be just over 1 year old so we've got our hands full.

All I want is somewhere to relax and kite if the winds right.

I've given up on pure kiting holidays as I just end up tearing my hair out if the wind doesn't blow!!!

I've been to Alvor before and enjoyed it but the spot isn't family friendly....it's a mission of a walk too!!

I reckon I'd do some surfing and some enduro riding out there if I get chance too. At least with enduro the weather doesn't matter!

Does anyone have any other suggestions.....bearing in mind we'd like to travel in December.....
philr
Antispam: No

What about fuerteventura 25 degrees during the day 15 at night
Kiting if you feel like it or surfing .
Bit biased as go there twice a year in May and September .
G-Bru

I fell in love with the place! Did loads of surfing! Like others have already said it's quiet, but me and the missus like quiet, no issues with getting around as there is no traffic, people are awesome and super friendly and weather was great (August/September). Definitely a place I want to go back to again and again...

G
tommrics

@ philr - we've considered the canaries and it's still on the list. I think the weather would be warmer there too.

@G-bru sounds good. I'm not into boozy tourists and Sagres sounds ideal.
JohnM

tommrics wrote:I've been to Alvor before and enjoyed it but the spot isn't family friendly....it's a mission of a walk too!!
can you expand on that? was thinking of going till you said that... :(
Sonnyrider

JohnM wrote:
tommrics wrote:I've been to Alvor before and enjoyed it but the spot isn't family friendly....it's a mission of a walk too!!
can you expand on that? was thinking of going till you said that... :(
You can not drive to the lagoon. The lagoon is in the centre of a wildlife park \ Nature reserve. You have to park in the car park.
it is a long walk from the car park, about 1.5km IIRC

Take everything you need = a mission of a walk :-) esp. when it's sunny and you have a few kites, pump, board, food, drink, etc. etc.
There is nothing there when you get there, only the lagoon. Nothing for others to do if they are not kiters, sunbath, that is it. You can walk over the sea front from there, across the dunes
jameser

You can drive to the other side of the lagoon at Alvor where you can park close to the beach. Drive out of Alvor toward Faro on the N125. Just as you come to Odiaxere(?) turn left after the football ground. Follow the road about 2 miles, it winds a little, and then over a train track, then another few hundred meters and you're there. The whole drive takes about 20 minutes from Alvor. There is a very sketchy causeway which some people drive across to get right to the beach but I wouldn't do it again, we grounded our hire care and then almost lost it into the lagoon!! Park just before the causeway and walk the last 100m to the beach. It's a good spot which works best at mid tide. At low tide it nearly empties and at high tide the water state is'nt all that. Watch the current in the main channel, it runs very fast and when it's outgoing it's going with the prevailing wind with the effect of killing kite power so you can very quickly go downwind.
tommrics

haha ... we did the same with the car.....very scary stuff!!

There's not much over that side either...

It's worth checking out the lagoons at Faro although that's a 45 minute drive.

Some locals use mopeds to reach the spot but I wouldn't want to have a chat with the police if I got caught.
Sonnyrider

jameser wrote:You can drive to the other side of the lagoon at Alvor where you can park close to the beach. Drive out of Alvor toward Faro on the N125. Just as you come to Odiaxere(?) turn left after the football ground. Follow the road about 2 miles, it winds a little, and then over a train track, then another few hundred meters and you're there. The whole drive takes about 20 minutes from Alvor. There is a very sketchy causeway which some people drive across to get right to the beach but I wouldn't do it again, we grounded our hire care and then almost lost it into the lagoon!! Park just before the causeway and walk the last 100m to the beach. It's a good spot which works best at mid tide. At low tide it nearly empties and at high tide the water state is'nt all that. Watch the current in the main channel, it runs very fast and when it's outgoing it's going with the prevailing wind with the effect of killing kite power so you can very quickly go downwind.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the other side
I drove there, but bottled doing the drive over the causeway. Looked way too sketchy for a car. a 4x4 and you would be fine, maybe

There's mussel beds that side as well isn't there?

I would've thought that side would be more gusty as it's supposed to come down the estuary to the lagoon?
JohnM

thanks for the advice - Alvor's looking a bit less appealing...

any recommendations for a top spot on the Algarve?
jameser

Don't be too put off. It is a little gusty but it's more the effect of the strong current running when the tide turns that causes that on/off feeling as you cross the channel. At mid tide there is plenty of other good water to be had and a nice sandbar to play on. Plus you can ride across to the other side of the lagoon where it is a little less gusty. You can easily miss out driving across the causeway and just walk across it, it's still only 100m from the car park to the beach. And the mussel beds are way upwind from the launch spot and easily avoided. It's certainly a more rugged spot than others but that's partly it's charm. For kiting on the Algarve I think it's one of the better spots and there is a local venturi effect from the mountains which creates more wind here than other parts of the coast. Plus Alvor is quite a nice town, lovely clean beach with plenty of space, some nice restaurants in the town and the town isn't overly commercial. If you're going with family then it's not a bad option at all.
Sonnyrider

jameser wrote:Don't be too put off. It is a little gusty but it's more the effect of the strong current running when the tide turns that causes that on/off feeling as you cross the channel. At mid tide there is plenty of other good water to be had and a nice sandbar to play on. Plus you can ride across to the other side of the lagoon where it is a little less gusty. You can easily miss out driving across the causeway and just walk across it, it's still only 100m from the car park to the beach. And the mussel beds are way upwind from the launch spot and easily avoided. It's certainly a more rugged spot than others but that's partly it's charm. For kiting on the Algarve I think it's one of the better spots and there is a local venturi effect from the mountains which creates more wind here than other parts of the coast. Plus Alvor is quite a nice town, lovely clean beach with plenty of space, some nice restaurants in the town and the town isn't overly commercial. If you're going with family then it's not a bad option at all.

I agree

Lagos is a nice place to base yourself in if you want a little more. Only a short drive to Alvor

What time of the year are you thinking of going?