front entry wetsuits

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
waverider

Re: front entry wetsuits

Post by waverider »

What about a tip for getting boots off, I really struggle to get good boots off. Cheap boots are easy.

Worst-case are the best boots I ever had, Xcel. I can't remember what thickness they are but they are so well tailored that they glue themselves to my feet even though I use a shoehorn to release the vacuum and lever the buggers off.

Nice and toasty though.

ronnie

Post by ronnie »

waverider wrote:What about a tip for getting boots off, I really struggle to get good boots off. Cheap boots are easy.

Worst-case are the best boots I ever had, Xcel. I can't remember what thickness they are but they are so well tailored that they glue themselves to my feet even though I use a shoehorn to release the vacuum and lever the buggers off.

Nice and toasty though.

I drill a small hole in my wetsuit boots under the arch. Lets the water drain out so that may help by letting air in.

waverider

Post by waverider »

Good idea and thanks.

Bmf

Post by Bmf »

Here's another advantage of a good (expensive) suit - my top entry oneil psycho is so dry, inside and non absorbant, I reckon I float 2-3 inches higher in the water than my back zip ion quantum I gave up on, so keeps you head out of water a lot better when you are swimming!!!

Cost me £340 but no regrets

#ed
Antispam: No

Post by #ed »

waverider wrote:My Billabong 3/2 summer suit is very easy to get into compared to the 5/4/3 Xcel but isn't that about material thickness ?

I have got a quite a few xcel suits which I've accumulated over the years got a 3/2mm and 5/4/3 in the same drylock / fuse seam / funky monkey / take out a new mortgage design and as noted in the above quote the 3mm is easy to get on the 5mm is hard (I am skinny but with large shoulders).

Oddly with xcel the new drylock / fuse seam / funky monkey / take out a new mortgage ones seem harder to put on than what they made 4 years ago but the flex is improved (after a few uses).

I honestly don't think front entry are that much harder to get in than back entry. As a further comment I'd say front entry made in the last five years are easier to get in than back entry made 10 years ago.

joe_mgh

Post by joe_mgh »

#ed wrote: as noted in the above quote the 3mm is easy to get on the 5mm is hard (I am skinny but with large shoulders).

Do you find that both thickness suits fit you in the same way once they're on, or is one tighter?

mike dubs

Post by mike dubs »

I have the 3mm Patagonia front entry with Merino wool lining the R3. It is as warm/warmer than a 5mm and with the hood attachment lets virtually no water in.

Rode the NE'lies in jan though to late April in it at least 30 times on the North Kent coast/Greatstone this year in mostly negative temps and was fine. Cost £440 but know if it was windy I could go regardless of temp.

mike

DanO

Post by DanO »

I changed to a chest entry in Feb this year. I'd always had rear zipped suits but being tall I found I was stretching the suits below the bottom of the zip making them leaky, almost see through in this area quite quickly when the rest of the suit was in good condition......not nice for the flush in winter. I've used Gul suits for the past couple of years and fit me quite well, e-mailed them saying what I needed and they suggested the Gul 5/3 Viper (they also do a hooded version!), I bought one and used it all year so far, it's great.......no problem getting on or off, super warm and very stretchy in the right places for kiting. Can't comment on any others -

http://www.gul.com/wetsuits/surf/winter ... small.html

I believe they're a British company (although hard to tell these days!)......I think they nearly went under recently so good reason to support a British company.

doggy

Post by doggy »

Bmf wrote:Here's another advantage of a good (expensive) suit - my top entry oneil psycho is so dry, inside and non absorbent, I reckon I float 2-3 inches higher in the water than my back zip ion quantum I gave up on, so keeps you head out of water a lot better when you are swimming!!!

Cost me £340 but no regrets

Assume this is the Psychofreak? The extra float is down to the air mesh neoprene running all the way from the neck to the knee. I had the 5212 last year and the psychofreak front zip this season and air neoprene is amazing, a massive amount warmer than regular neoprene as the central honeycomb like layer traps extra air for extra insulation, the heat just can escape! Also more windproof than regular double lined neoprene due to the triple layer construction. Most top suits use this type of neoprene in the chest and back panels, Oneill call it technobutter air, mystic isoprene mesh, animal thermacore..etc....If you can afford it, it is well worth the money as you can get away with a thinner stretchier suit and be warmer! For top front zip suisd, check out the oneill pyrotech, psychofreak and mystic majestic, I would also avoid Ion, the quality and tech is not as good as the others available.

To bring it back to your original question, some good back zip suits in price range are listed below and as a few other have said, it is good to spend that little bit extra and have good quality, warm suit:

Mystic black star
Oneill Gooru
Animal Assassin

#ed

Post by #ed »

joe_mgh wrote:
#ed wrote: as noted in the above quote the 3mm is easy to get on the 5mm is hard (I am skinny but with large shoulders).

Do you find that both thickness suits fit you in the same way once they're on, or is one tighter?

They are the same fit but the 5mm is less than flexible than the 4mm and 4mm less than the 3mm as one would expect

Bmf

Post by Bmf »

Yep it's the phsycofreak with the techno butter neoprene, amazed at how good it is, thought it would soak up like a sponge

Sonnyrider

Post by Sonnyrider »

Another psychofreak technobutter (rear entry) user here

fdvj

Post by fdvj »

Sonnyrider wrote:Another psychofreak technobutter (rear entry) user here

Sounds like a euphemism for some dodgy fetish.

Sonnyrider

Post by Sonnyrider »

fdvj wrote:
Sonnyrider wrote:Another psychofreak technobutter (rear entry) user here

Sounds like a euphemism for some dodgy fetish.

And ? . . . :P

As I was typing it, I knew it sounded 'wrong' :lol:

BillyGoat

Post by BillyGoat »

Thanks for all the replies... I think I am going to go for the 5/4mm O'Neill mutant front entry suit. Looks a really good suit...