Neoprene Gloves For Mountain Biking

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
bri

Neoprene Gloves For Mountain Biking

Post by bri »

Got some 2mm gloves that I use for kiting and was wondering if anyone uses them for Mountain Biking. Just took the plunge on a Norco Shinobi and only have fingerless gloves for my road bike.

Sonnyrider

Re: Neoprene Gloves For Mountain Biking

Post by Sonnyrider »

MTB gloves have padding for the palms tho'

You will get away with your 2mm neoprene gloves, but you will get palm \ wrist ache

If you're spending a couple of k on a bike WhyTF are you scrimping on £30 gloves :?

bri

Post by bri »

ha, got some on order, but heading out tommorrow

waverider

Post by waverider »

If you're choosing mountain bike gloves just to keep your finger warm you've never been over the bars or even fell off sideways. You can do a lot of damage to your hands during what appears to be a fun-fall-off.

As you increase the glove protection you decrease the flexibility of your hands/fingers.

My advise has been to always use gloves with some abrasion resistance over the back of your hand.

kite-uk

Post by kite-uk »

I just got some oneil 1.5m gloves from 24-7 sport on Friday's session.. quite impressed with them.. I even wore then to walk my son to school when it was abit nippy and wow there warm! :-D £24 I think they where

http://www.24-7boardsports.com/oneill-p ... ring-2013/

bri

Post by bri »

got some mavics for warmth and some poc index flow with the knuckle shields both in sale. Like the look of Poc gear but bit pricey. Sales it is.

waverider

Post by waverider »

What I found was thats it's a balancing act between warmth and protection. My warmest gloves wouldn't do much to help if I fell off and good protection doesn't give warmth.

My best compromise for many years has been a pair of gentlemans leather gloves (You know I am) that have a fleecy lining (Marks and Spencer) and I teated the outside with dubbin to keep them waterproof because waterproof is another problem. Whilst I have gloves that are warmer once it starts raining i'm stuffed.

I once saw a rider wearing marigolds. :shock:

srrc

Post by srrc »

Neoprene gloves will be much too sweaty, get some proper ones!

tombeaton

Post by tombeaton »

i would think neoprene gloves would be ruined in only a couple of sessions. so much more chance of abrasion than kiting.

bri

Post by bri »

Swinley Forest this morning, nice and brisk. sweating me arse off after a couple of climbs. Being clipped in certainly makes you go for it getting up the hills

G-Bru

Post by G-Bru »

bri wrote:Swinley Forest this morning, nice and brisk. sweating me arse off after a couple of climbs. Being clipped in certainly makes you go for it getting up the hills

Next time you are off to Swinley Forest give us a shout dude. I ride there often but not so much recently as it gets boring on your own.

You get more of a workout if you leave those clipless jobs at home..... LOL!

Normal MX gloves work well for me!

G

Roland

Post by Roland »

G-Bru wrote:Next time you are off to Swinley Forest give us a shout dude. I ride there often but not so much recently as it gets boring on your own.

Run/ride around there quite abit myself bud, be a little cautious around the Crowthorne woods area near corkscrew trail because some idiots causing problems eg, laying barbed wire on the trails - digging large potholes on blind bends...

G-Bru

Post by G-Bru »

Roland wrote:
G-Bru wrote:Next time you are off to Swinley Forest give us a shout dude. I ride there often but not so much recently as it gets boring on your own.

Run/ride around there quite abit myself bud, be a little cautious around the Crowthorne woods area near corkscrew trail because some idiots causing problems eg, laying barbed wire on the trails - digging large potholes on blind bends...

WTF! Thanks for the heads up dude. I assume it has been reported to the respective authorities?

G.