Newgale Beach Pembrookshire.

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
gordon
Antispam: No

What's the state of play with the beach now?
Thinking of visiting end of May.
tombeaton

beach is great. give Oli a call at Big Blue kitesurfing for local info.
lordfak

Kited there a week ago.
Quite a few patches of stones still on the beach but still plenty of clear sand for safe launch and landing.
Guess it will be even better in another month or so.

Enjoy
Dave
gordon

Thanks, hopefully will make it end of May.
waverider

The main risk with stones on the beach other than damage to your kite is riding in an onshore wind and not having a clear fault-path if you get yanked ashore. A low tide will give you plenty of sand though you do need to be aware as the tide moves up.

I'm still seeing riders playing dangle-monkey in the shallows for the benefit of the odd beach walker and they don't like riding at low water because the perceived audience is too far away, thats dangerous enough without stones and boulders.

Stay safe, it may be warm enough for this old fart by May so maybe we'll meet-up.
craigboddington

What about the weaver fish dangers?
waverider

craigboddington wrote:What about the weaver fish dangers?
:-D

Oh-yes, and though its still a little early you should always know what you're going to do for hot water if you tread on a weaver. The trick to avoiding standing on weavers is to let them know you're there. As you enter the sea, shuffle your feet and don't just jump of your board and onto the sand as you come in, float your board away and shuffle.

Some years ago a theory emerged that has since been proven, I haven't trod on a weaver now for a good few years because I shuffle. Mind you, I'm starting to shuffle anyway. And driving with my mouth open, but I'm not peeing myself yet.
duc996bp

waverider wrote:

Oh-yes, and though its still a little early you should always know what you're going to do for hot water if you tread on a weaver. The trick to avoiding standing on weavers is to let them know you're there. As you enter the sea, shuffle your feet and don't just jump of your board and onto the sand as you come in, float your board away and shuffle.

Some years ago a theory emerged that has since been proven, I haven't trod on a weaver now for a good few years because I shuffle. Mind you, I'm starting to shuffle anyway. And driving with my mouth open, but I'm not peeing myself yet.
Nice to see you back Waverider.
waverider

Thank you, I ran out of enthusiasm after Tiree last year. Nothing seemed quite good enough after that ten days. Also, I'm having to be quite picky about the conditions that suit me so after Tiree I didn't get to having many sessions. Then the shit hit the fan with wind damage to the roof twice before new-year and whilst the floods didn't effect us I was having to pump rainwater out of the septic tank daily until the water table in our valley receded.

What with other things and a torn meniscus you could say that I've been, 'Otherwise-occupied'.

I think the meniscus might me repairing, is that possible ? Anyone else have torn meniscus problems ?
craigboddington

Assuming it's the one in you knee, they can be repaired, had mine done when they reconstructed my ACL.

However they have a very poor blood supply, so the repair needs to be done shortly after you tear it, think the surgeon said there's a 6 week window which increases your chances. Also the success depends where the tear is as the outer edge is thicker and is were better blood supply is.

Best get it looked at!
waverider

From what you say it's already to late, my knee was pre-diagnosed last summer on the basis of probability by the orthopedic surgeon who fixed me up with my hip re-surfacings. They did an MRI scan and called me back but the time lag in-between seeing him, the scan, seeing him again and then getting another appointment has been nine months so far. I had assumed my knee pain was as a result of arthritic changes which would be quite normal for someone who already had the hips fixed but ab X-Ray showed good bone structure in the knee.

At my age I'm supposed to be sitting on my porch watching things and waiting for god.

Bastards, mind you, I cost the NHS a fortune so-far. I'm having far to much fun and I'm not leaving any money to anyone.

Thanks for sharing though Craig.
BrightonSurf

waverider wrote:

Alot of people do not appreciate how painful stepping on a weaver fish is. Since I was stung a couple of years ago I have been using your feet shuffling technique which apart from a couple of stubbed toes seems to have worked.
paulie_amoose

waverider wrote: Bastards, mind you, I cost the NHS a fortune so-far. I'm having far to much fun and I'm not leaving any money to anyone.
I work for the NHS and we have noticed a large deficit in the budget, we call it the Richard Hole...

My area is Blood and Transplant so if you want any of the red stuff or a spleen or something I am sure I can sort you out, just remember me when it comes to leaving that money somewhere.. fair's fair and all that... :-)
waverider

Ah-yes, Mr Moose.

Other than the hips my eyes probably cost you £50.000. New lens implants supposedly to deal with the damage caused by regular face plants from back in the day when we either hung-on, or let-go.

Back to the issues of Newgale beach as a kitesurfing venue, compared to many beaches Newgale presents the next-level because of the shore-break.

Riders much stronger than me have fallen in the break and described it as, "Fighting for their life". Right now I could do with some flat water or chop such as that I could choose when I was on Tiree, ok, it's boring but demands less energy and is safer.

If this knee has gone, I will pack-up kitesurfing this year so expect to see my kites up for sale.
craigboddington

waverider wrote:If this knee has gone, I will pack-up kitesurfing this year so expect to see my kites up for sale.
There always other options!

http://www.powerkiteshop.com/peter-lynn ... at-cat.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;