Light wind decisions

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
tomc111

I am starting to feel the need to fork out for some gear that will get me out on the water in those light wind conditions. I ride a 136 TT and have 7m and 12m kites. The dillema I am trying to figure out is whether I go with a 15m plus kite, or I get a directional board that will serve as a light wind option and also open up the world of kite'Surfing' to me which I havent tried yet. Funds are very limited so I really can only afford one option. Which way would people go in my position? The surfboard option is very tempting, but will it really offer as big a wind window as getting the large kite?
Too Much Wind

The best light wind combo is a fast board and fast kite so that you can get the apparent wind speed up. Not all surfboards/directionals are good in light winds just as not all big kites are. You should choose carefully.
Your 12m and the right fast directional may be all you need but if you have a grunty low AR 12m then you may need to replace both.
In light winds boardwise i use either a 5ft9 x 20.5 x 2.25 retro quad fish or a 6ft8 naish sky pirate. Both strapless and both are fun in the surf. Both can also be surfed without a kite (just) if the wind drops completely.

TMW
PeaBody
Antispam: No

I would veer towards the board option.

Last year I bought a skim board and I love it... Its soo much fun blasting along trying to gybe, spin, ride toe-side. On the plus side it has really improved my TT riding because I have a much better appreciation of weight distribution :-D

Surf board, skimboard or whatever... it will be like going back to the drawing board but the rewards are worth it :-D
C4C

I've been down the whole light wind route and it was a waste of time (IMO) you can't do anything other than go up and down the beach, and it's highly unlikely anyone else will be out in sub 10 knots so your on your own. (So you better brush up those solo launch/land drills)

My closest beach is an hour away so to maximise days on water I got myself a zephyr and the rrd 10 knots board, fantastic kit, I'm 14st and was up and going in 7knots! But like I said it was pretty boaring... I used the kite I think 3 times in the year I owned it, the board I kept a bit longer as it was lightwind specific so it worked well with my 12m kite also on marginal 15 knot days.

I currently only ride surfs and as said above and IMO there not good for a lightwind option (and I don't care what marketing u read, or how flat your rocker is). unless your looking at a race style board or a lightwind specific twintip is the was to go. Width is key!!

Pray for some wind, and waves...amen
slingshot sy

airush sector. I've tried a few light wind options and these are great. agreed on the skim board but for super light wind the sector wins hands down, goes upwind on a different level to anything else.

With a decent 12 you will be going well in 12-13 knots. I don't think you can go in much less on anything. All these claims of 6-7 knots is not possible in my opinion. I've tried on a 17m turbine and sector 60 and you need 10 knots to keep the kite in the air.
Some of the newest gear may go in less. I'd like to see it.

I believe any time on the water is a bonus and I have doubled my sessions with a big kite and a sector.

down sides is they are big, take a bit of lugging about and there not cheap. I got mine second hand so wasn't too bad.

try one. I'm sure there's demos available somewhere.
BrightonSurf

If you are serious about getting out in lightwind conditions then get a Sector as long as your 12m isnt a C kite and is more free-ride/race oriented you will probably be able to get out when everyone else is sitting on the beach. You might be able to pick up a Sector V2 for about 350 and it will double your time on the water.
southseasailor

14mtr is the largest kite I got. I thought about a bigger kite and/or a larger board (mine is a 140x42 TT) but light winds where I am, are generally full of lulls so its a waste of time; for me anyway.

I tend to use the light wind days for getting all the kit out and checking it over thoroughly, then checking my favourite weather website to see when the next low is about to come through:)
highalpha_pass

Plus once you do get up and riding in 10kts, after about 10 mins bobbing about you realise it's actually a bit boring. Not good if you spent a couple of grand on brand new light wind kit!!!
southseasailor

Once saw a clip of a Flysurfer 21mtr Foil being used on, what looked like, a mirror calm lake. Board was pretty large, was one of the most surreal videos I have seen.
defever

steve_w

southseasailor wrote:Once saw a clip of a Flysurfer 21mtr Foil being used on, what looked like, a mirror calm lake. Board was pretty large, was one of the most surreal videos I have seen.
Think it's a 19m

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=st3aoU9QMDQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BrightonSurf

steve_w wrote:
southseasailor wrote:Once saw a clip of a Flysurfer 21mtr Foil being used on, what looked like, a mirror calm lake. Board was pretty large, was one of the most surreal videos I have seen.
Think it's a 19m

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=st3aoU9QMDQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_shear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably 7 to 8 knots where the kite is flying.
gudge

Got a Zephyr at the start of last summer, best money I have ever spent had so many good sessions. Those days when there is enough for your 12 but barely enough to do anything. Take the big guy out leap around like a grasshopper. My mate got a dyno we had a great summer same this year hopefully.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
southseasailor

BrightonSurf wrote:
steve_w wrote:
Think it's a 19m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_shear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably 7 to 8 knots where the kite is flying.
That's the one!:) a 19 it is, of course. I got the 12mtr version, great kite. More like a 14mtr LEI in terms of power. Its a great video isn't it.
steve_w

It's pretty cool isn't it I wouldn't mind a piece of that pie may have to start the hunt for a fs speed I think