Light wind decisions

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

For what it's worth..
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2385078

If I could add my 2p..

- Lines help a bit, but cut down on the fun factor of the kite - handling is far less responsive and involving on long lines.
- Board is by far the cheapest and effective way to boost your light wind ability, and the sectors (and their kin) are easy enough and very entertaining to master.
- Modern kites are getting better and better in the bigger sizes (and I mean 17m+)

Airush do 18 Lithium zero, 18 VXR, 17 VXR and 16 Lithium One. All 4 kites are radically different to each other, but that 18 is a very good kite for the UK no doubt.. I also like it a lot.
Roland

Mike B wrote: 18 VXR.
Would love a go on one of those..........
SteveOSling
Antispam: No

I bought a MTB for light/marginal days.....
Roland

SteveOSling wrote:I bought a MTB for light/marginal days.....
Alot depends on how far you are from the beach Steve, living in the Brighton area your in a far better position to pick and choose compared to those of us that live an hr+ drive away....
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

SteveOSling wrote:I bought a MTB for light/marginal days.....
Ha ha, I bought one of those too and dismounted it at full speed yesterday evening after a squirrely landing. Came home looking like I'd been beaten by an angry mob with sticks, big welts everywhere my armour stopped. In retrospect I would much rather have had a nice session on the 18m and sector..
Jumps way higher too ;-)
SteveOSling

Agreed Gents. At, the end of the day, nothing compares to kiting but I wanted to point out that there are other options.

I'm really enjoying my MTB at the moment because it's so accessible and not so dependent on mother nature. That said, mother nature makes kiting what it is. I had a brief go on a Sector a couple weeks back, I could get into it for sure, but boy is it bouncy over the water. I have a new found respect for those race guys doing it way out offshore in real waves/chop.

If time and money permitted, I would have every toy under the sun :D.

Haha, Mike B, we went to Wales a while back on the bikes. I went over the bars a few times and all was well until the last time when I axed my knee and elbow on the gravel pretty badly. I subsequently bought some good pads but thankfully haven't tested them yet!
BrightonSurf

SteveOSling wrote:I'm really enjoying my MTB at the moment because it's so accessible and not so dependent on mother nature. That said, mother nature makes kiting what it is. I had a brief go on a Sector a couple weeks back, I could get into it for sure, but boy is it bouncy over the water. I have a new found respect for those race guys doing it way out offshore in real waves/chop.
Sectors take some getting used to but after a bit of practice you will be able to go for hours without falling in even in choppy conditions - gybing is pretty easy once you get it dialed since they have so much volume you can stall it and still have time to change your feet. Only problem is you end up in going in really marginal winds where you continually face the risk of dumping your kite in winds you cant relaunch it so best not to venture too far off shore.
DanO

.......just need to find one at a price i can justify :lol:
g0nz0

Blatant Hijack - I'm selling my Slayer 54... great fun for light days and mushy onshore waves. Stick a pair of sector fins in and put the straps on to maximise the upwindyness.

Agreed that you can get going in some silly light conditions. Venturing a mile off the beach is too easy and not always a brilliant plan :wink: I think the lightest I've been going in recently was in was egypt with a FS silver arrow 19m and a Sector 60 V2 - by the end of the session the kite would barely stay in the air at rest, but a big down loop (no other kind on that kite) and a good application of body english would get me up and planing. Water was so flat it was glassy clear... :-)
Allan

Hi,

Unless I am missing something here all this talk about Light wind kites & boards is still not fixing the key problem - no wind anyway.

Where has the WIND GONE, I have not got out since end of May14, various wind websites (look at all of them!) for last 6-7 weeks have shown 10kts at best or gone offshore.
Kite at Lancing / Goring / Shoreham and I understand local spot wind can be different to the website forecasts at times, so have I missed out by not coming down anyway - don't think so?

Like so many I can only get down at the weekends, 1hr 40min drive from Reading Berkshire, but maybe I need to try and make it for evening session's if I could better judge the wind on my local Lancing / Goring / Shoreham spots. Any ideas how to better judge / know what the wind is actually doing greatly appreciated.
The actual Webcam website meter readings at Worthing have not shown wind above this 10kts most of the time last 6-7wks either, but maybe more wind out on the actual water?

Any feedback greatly appreciated as 4th season and still not enough time on the water, between March14 & May14 started to get some air time so keen to keep on improving - just NEED WIND!

Cheers,
Allan
janaeo

I'm thinking I should get the sup board out with my biggest, got an old 17 takoon hidden away, could be fun........ But the forecast is for off shore winds for the next week so will have to wait a little longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tone

I have a 15m Flysurfer speed 3 CE for sale.

You don't need much wind to be flying on that thing!
velboy

Another alternative for light wind days

Longboarding. Surf the land :-D

This is a blast and as cheap as some big kites

rakeem15

Allan wrote:only get down at the weekends, 1hr 40min drive from Reading Berkshire, but maybe I need to try and make it for evening session's if I could better judge the wind on my local Lancing / Goring / Shoreham spots. Any ideas how to better judge / know what the wind is actually doing greatly appreciated.
The actual Webcam website meter readings at Worthing have not shown wind above this 10kts most of the time last 6-7wks either, but maybe more wind out on the actual water?
1. Pay for Guro Pro. Invaluable when you live far from the water and only £15 a year.
2. In a SW Lancing always blows a bit harder than Guru is forecasting because it often gets a sea breeze. I've had some good sessions when only 10-12 knots was predicted. Can be worth a punt on a lower forecast.
3. Check out Another Hard Day at the Office - easily the most reliable live weather source, plus there are daily/intra-day updates on what the wind's doing (can also follow in facebook).
4. Buy yourself an Airrush Sector. By far the most cost-effective way of kiting in light winds and gives you an 'insurance policy' in case the wind is a little light when you get there.
5. If possible, do consider early morning or early evening sessions mid-week. I managed a couple of times last year to get up at 5am, drive (from London) to Lancing, on the water 7 - 8 and then back home by 10:30 (admittedly I'm freelance and can work from home). In the evening from now until late July it'll be light enough to kite until 9pm...
Sonnyrider

rakeem15 wrote: In the evening from now until late July it'll be light enough to kite until 9pm...
More like 10pm :-)