Older Kiteboarders in the UK

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
ajck

Hello all,

I am currently working on an online documentary series, part funded by the British Film Institute, celebrating the lives of sports people from older generations. We are looking to create 3 short films about inspiring people who haven't let age hold them back and continue to take part in the sport that they love. Its a personal project of mine that is close to my heart and with 60% of older people in the UK agreeing that age discrimination exists in their daily lives, we hope that this film will help dispel the myth that 'older people are past it'.

The opportunity came through our original pilot film 'The Oldest Footballer in England', which can be viewed here:
http://vimeo.com/102773590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As someone who loves the water myself I would love the opportunity to focus one of our films on an older wind / kite surfer. If there is someone in your community over the age of 60 who is inspirational with invaluable insight, exceptional passion, a never-ending supply of wonderful stories and a thirst for life that refuses to fade then I would love to hear from them!

Cheers,
Alex
BrightonSurf

I can tell you now the person you need for this is Waverider. I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt win an Oscar. Although I can warn you now not to include any of his ideas about how to cure weaver fish stings or even ask him about the subject.

There is also a lady who kites at lancing who is getting on in years. Think she was on the big downwinder this year infact.
JGTR

80 year old kiter in West Mersea :-D Contact The Mersea Windsurfers and Kitesurfers.
ob1857
Antispam: No

David down at Hillhead is around his eighties. He comes down every windy day with his push bike and home made kite trailer attached to his bike, pumps up and gets out on it! Amazing and inspirational. Also gets away I think in the winter for some winter wind still.
bri

Hi Alex,

great short film you got there. Defo get hold of waverider off here, although you may not be able to keep it down under 2 mins. :wink:
ajck

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will look up waverider, along with the others that have been mentioned.

Please let me know if there are others!

Cheers
andyjiggs

ajck wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. I will look up waverider, along with the others that have been mentioned.

Cheers
A big plus 1 for David Cummings down at Hill Head.Very well known at our spot and a great fella.I,m just hoping I've got the fitness and mobility to be able to strut my stuff like he does.As said previously very inspirational!
ajck

andyjiggs wrote:
ajck wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. I will look up waverider, along with the others that have been mentioned.

Cheers
A big plus 1 for David Cummings down at Hill Head.Very well known at our spot and a great fella.I,m just hoping I've got the fitness and mobility to be able to strut my stuff like he does.As said previously very inspirational!
Great - if anyone has David's contact details / a lead to contacting him I would greatly appreciate it if you could personal message me!

Alex
carlos_c

Try overboard as well - kites often at Hunny when he's not abroad
waverider

bri wrote:Hi Alex,

great short film you got there. Defo get hold of waverider off here, although you may not be able to keep it down under 2 mins. :wink:
Cheeky. :-D

Ok lads, it's final. I just retired from kitesurfing after the best sessions for a few years earlier in the summer. I retired for my own safety, far too many things creaking and hurting and I don't want a thread with the title.

"Waverider is rescued"

Over the years I fought for my life twice in shore break though never had to be rescued.
GRF
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

waverider wrote: I retired for my own safety, far too many things creaking and hurting and I don't want a thread with the title.
I'm sorry to hear that Richard, although I know exactly what you mean, having pulled a hamstring doing the most lame move bearing off down the face of a wave, hadn't even started the gybe. That's the limiting factor with age and the further past 60 you get the worse it becomes. I've got a bloody frozen shoulder at the moment, having acupuncture and massage from 'the chinaman' I quite literally lost the ability to raise my right arm above shoulder level, it doesn't inhibit me kitesurfing funnily enough but is hell doing some other stupid stuff in dinghies and windsurfing

Aches and Pains - they get you in the end.
waverider

The straw that broke the camels back was my fingers causing problems and a knee, The hips were fine as long as I avoided impact. Prior to that the only question was, was I tiring too quickly to deal with a kite-down or other emergency. The answer was a simple yes.

I'm still very active though being able to rest when I need it gets me back up and going, compared to most beaches around the country Newgale is the next-level because of the shore break and waves and whilst it was those waves that kept me interested while you-lot are pissing about emulating dangle-monkies.

I had a good time, met some smart-asses and met a lot of nice people. I'll be around to mentor anyone through the early stages who needs help on Newgale beach providing they have done the BKSA course.
ob1857

ajck wrote:
andyjiggs wrote:

Cheers
Great - if anyone has David's contact details / a lead to contacting him I would greatly appreciate it if you could personal message me!

Alex
Alex,
Unless someone has already done it, PM me your details and I will get them to David to contact you.

Matt
mart.cou

eric hart lives 50 metres from sands of lytham st annes
local gentleman and friend to all apart drom dog shit owners approaching i think 70 years young
swims every morning (very nice front crawl technique)
kitesurfs 99% of every wind day
a true gentleman with the passion of a kid and health and fitness to be proud of

he would make must watch television...just as long as its an hour long programme ;)

mart
ajck

Alex,
Unless someone has already done it, PM me your details and I will get them to David to contact you.

Matt
Thanks Matt - I have already been put in contact with David, a great character so thanks for the help everyone.