New to surfboard

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
Martyn

New to surfboard

Post by Martyn »

I've just bought a surf board for kiting. I don't really know what I'm doing yet having been a twin tip rider for years
I am aware that it's reaaly uncool to ride with footstraps. However as I don't really want to spend lots of time in the cold water I was thinking of using them with footstraps until warmer days
Any helpful comments

Or should I just wait until it gets warm

liberate
Antispam: No

Re: New to surfboard

Post by liberate »

the problem I had with foot straps is that it makes gybing that much harder. I found actually riding strapless to be fairly easy and picked it up pretty quickly (just the riding to be fair, not so much the turning around). The only time I've had trouble is in the bigger swell at rhosneigr where my board kept dropping away from my while I was going over some of the swell.

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Yes..I can ride but can't sort my feet out. I'm an ex windsurfer so have used footstraps

highalpha_pass

Post by highalpha_pass »

Done the same. I nailed some footsteps to my surfboard and I think it made it easier to go off and ride pretty much straight away but I'm finding they are a hindrance whilst learning to gybe. Taking your feet out of the straps and just riding along is pretty easy after a bit so I'm getting rid of my straps this year. Best advice though is to leave the TT at home because you will keep wanting to go back to it because it's easier and its there in the van.

BrightonSurf

Post by BrightonSurf »

unless you plan to ride serious waves check out a shinster makes strapless fun and easy and don't bounce like a surf board which is what makes strapless hard

fdvj

Post by fdvj »

I ride with one very loose front strap and no back strap. You don't actually miss the back strap at all unless jumping,and just tucking your toes under the front is enough to stop you foot bouncing out in the rough stuff. In clean conditions you don't need any straps at all, but We almost never see those.

mike dubs

Post by mike dubs »

Find some flat water, leave your TT behind for at least 10 back to back sessions and leave the straps off. Use the kite to carry you're weight more than you would on a TT, by having it higher, when you gybe, just before you switch your feet redirect the kite up a bit to unweigh yourself, and/or edge upwind. Don't faf or hesitate switching feet just do it at that point.

Getting on flat water your first dozen sessions, will get you hooked and before you know it you'll be selling your TT.

Mike

Dragnfly

Post by Dragnfly »

mike dubs wrote:Find some flat water, leave your TT behind for at least 10 back to back sessions and leave the straps off. Use the kite to carry you're weight more than you would on a TT, by having it higher, when you gybe, just before you switch your feet redirect the kite up a bit to unweigh yourself, and/or edge upwind. Don't faf or hesitate switching feet just do it at that point.

Getting on flat water your first dozen sessions, will get you hooked and before you know it you'll be selling your TT.

Mike

Hey Martyn - can't wait to see you in action - I hope you're better at it than me - I really suck at it big time - its even hard going in a straight line on flat water! Then again, I don't own a surfboard so just grab 10 mins on a pals every now and again. I think the secret, like Mike says above, is to leave the trusty TT at home for at least 10 sessions. My kite buddy ditched his twinny at the end of summer and is now popping quite big airs on a strapless surfboard and can gybe it no problem, and is just about getting away with a dry bum whilst tacking - I don't think he'll go back to the twinny.

I wouldn't bother with the straps - there's some lovely flat areas at Lytham for learning on, with some nice little waves to bash to, without having to have a massive swim if it goes wrong.

What board did you get?

SLiiCK

Post by SLiiCK »

I agree with Mike ditched my twin tip for a surfboard 6-7 years ago tried footstraps for one session then took them off a just kept going out strapless you will be surprised how quickly you learn, try to turn using your strongest side for toeside e.g if your left foot forward is stronger while you are riding toeside
when you riding normally to the left turn before you try to change your foot stance then when you are riding to the right change your foot stance before you turn hope this makes sense :-)

matt_s
Antispam: No

Post by matt_s »

fdvj wrote:I ride with one very loose front strap and no back strap. You don't actually miss the back strap at all unless jumping,and just tucking your toes under the front is enough to stop you foot bouncing out in the rough stuff. In clean conditions you don't need any straps at all, but We almost never see those.

Me too - works brilliantly. It also makes it much easier to move your back foot from optimum up wind position (further forward) to over the fins when you want to be turning. It is still a bit more tricky than gybing strapless but it's as compromise I'm more than happy with

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Some really good advice guys. Thanks

Who are you Dragonfly?

I bought a Cabrinha Skillet.....supposed to be conducive to on shore wavy mush

David
Site Admin

Post by David »

Lytham is easier on a surfboard if strapless, gets a bit bumpy at star gate on the inside, better out back though.
I find width is better than length when it comes to surfboards, a wider board will always give a better platform for learnings stuff

Tony

C4C

Post by C4C »

Going back to the original post, it's not uncool at all to ride strapless. The conditions will dictate, as long as your having fun and ripping who cares... strapped / strapless? Just ride...

rakeem15

Post by rakeem15 »

matt_s wrote:
fdvj wrote:I ride with one very loose front strap and no back strap. You don't actually miss the back strap at all unless jumping,and just tucking your toes under the front is enough to stop you foot bouncing out in the rough stuff. In clean conditions you don't need any straps at all, but We almost never see those.

Me too - works brilliantly. It also makes it much easier to move your back foot from optimum up wind position (further forward) to over the fins when you want to be turning. It is still a bit more tricky than gybing strapless but it's as compromise I'm more than happy with

Advice I've had in this regard is one strap = risk of ligament damage.

Also ride much more 50:50 with weight distribution and put your front foot much further forward than you'd think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk