7m "C" kites

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
BillyGoat

I am looking for a 7m C kite for high winds. I am 82kg and ride a shinn monk 134cm.

I really like the look of the Naish torch, whats peoples thoughts on the 7m in 35 to 45mph ?
Airush razor looks good but not so good a jumping according to some of the reviews ??
any other suggestions, ideally after a 5th liner (not after a vegas or Hadlow).
Roland

7m Torch is a real peach Billy .......
JGTR

I ride the 6m Torch in 25 knots plus, 90kg, sweet kite
John.B

The Razors I had went big - I've not been on them since 2013... but the 2013 was like a rocket and shot you into the air.
BillyGoat

cheers guys, I'm swaying towards the torch. Probably looking at a 2012/13, any recommendations ?

The reviews of the razor say it goes big but drops you really fast ?
John.B

BillyGoat wrote:cheers guys, I'm swaying towards the torch. Probably looking at a 2012/13, any recommendations ?

No small C kite is going to offer you any 'float' - they are about the boost and not the glide. It's a very different technique and if you think you can put it over your head and sheet in then it will bring you down quick. However if you are prepared to give it some whip back to go up then forward to come down or chuck in a downloop then it's all good.
matt_s
Antispam: No

BillyGoat wrote:cheers guys, I'm swaying towards the torch. Probably looking at a 2012/13, any recommendations ?

Same as John B said - all smaller kites will drop you faster than a bigger one. They'll also shoot you up quicker too ( I read some description of the physics that explains it but I can't remember what it is lol :-D ) C - Kites especially will drop faster if you just dangle underneath them, but a strong redirect or even better a downloop will land you nice and softly.
Tone

I am loving the 2015 c4 7m. I am 109kg and use it from the late 20s up to a little over 40 (knots) constant. Have had to fly it once in coming up to 50 knots to get back to where I started and it was certainly the absolute max I could manage the kite in and I will still going sideways and my arse was going.

I fly this kite on 20m lines as they are the best for loops.

Tony
peet

I'd be very surprised to hear someone saying that the razors don't boost well... its something they really excel in, once you're used to boosting on a C.
The 2015 7m has a really big wind range and great top end, but as everyone has mentioned you do up and down fairly quick, but with a well timed downloop you can get some lovely soft landings.
And when it drops off a little you its an awesome kite to hit some handlepasses with :)
doggy

Another one to look at is the Liquid Force Hifi X/ Hifi X2, awesome for high wind boosting and looping, super stable and holds it shape perfect when its going mental and nice smooth power through the turn/loop. More depower than the others so you can take it out more powered.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

We had a demo last year which was more a group of local friends up at our local beach,
we had 4 different small kites in the air;
6m Lithium (swept like a delta - full depower)
6m VX (swept but high performance hybrid)
7m Wave (flat, bridled C like with huge depower and very efficient foiling)
7m Razor.

The wind picked up through the day and forced everyone off the water - we all chopped and changed kites. Was flat water - butter like heaven of a place we call "the church"

First off the water was the Lithium, then the VX, then the Wave, and the last kite left on the water was the Razor. It was a huge eye opener for me. The Razor was work, but balanced against the rail the wind range was undeniable. This is mostly to do with the fact that of all the kites airush make it has the most efficient profile in 7m. It has to be this way so it can go slack enough for aggressive unhooked passes. The fact that it also forward turns so well, is direct connection and pretty quick means it's an awesome kite for jumping. Other kites may have more hang time (like a small race kite or the 6m VX), but if you want height, the Razor is one of the best kites, if not the best you can buy. I'm not saying it's plug and play straight out of the box, and you have to be a good rider, but if you put the time in, this is where the cutting edge of the sport is...

Ask Ali Barrett, he's just started using the 7m Razor this year.
Tom Ralston (ex kite it right and old fuel guru) used to take one to south africa for this reason.
Also - though this landing went somewhat wrong - this is the kind of thing it's capable of.
https://www.facebook.com/365775586365/v ... 215091366/

It's not a difficult kite to ride (for the experienced rider), but it's not the sort of thing I would point a cautious rider to - ever!