Woo - Kiteboarder League?

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
John.B
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: The Union

Tried my mate's Woo yesterday (I'm not getting one until they do Android app for grown-ups phones) and got a fairly respectable 12.3m during a powered 9m session. Anyone else got one - list your name and I'll follow you (setup on an old 4s I don't use). I think we might also be able to setup a Kiteboarder leaderboard?

On it I'm John Barber - currently sitting 70th in global rankings. A powered cross-on day and my own board and I shoudl be able to shift that a fair bit higher 8)
Tone
Posts: 1951
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:09 pm

Yeah, I have one.

Not got past 9m yet which is annoying as I don't even feel I have been high on it yet.

Need a decent day, well powered with enough space!

John, you boosting off the flat? or off waves?

I saw someone has pipped AH with a jump of 19.1m... looked mental conditions and off waves which surely makes a huge difference.

#queuing up the excuses :P
John.B
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: The Union

Tone wrote:John, you boosting off the flat? or off waves?
Yesterday was directly cross-shore so it was really bumpy with small kicker waves. There was very little space between to really wind it up and hit them with speed. I know that on a good cross-on day with some decent ramps (we don't get proper waves at troon) I will go higher for sure... I was also on an older 2013 kite yesterday :wink:

Good day with right kit I reckon I can easily go 15+ as it's what I really excel at - I'm all about the height 8)
vibro100
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:28 pm
Antispam: No

I have one.
Paul suggett
cant seem to get passed 7.9m
Must be my technique.
Tone
Posts: 1951
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:09 pm

John.B wrote:
Tone wrote:John, you boosting off the flat? or off waves?
Yesterday was directly cross-shore so it was really bumpy with small kicker waves. There was very little space between to really wind it up and hit them with speed. I know that on a good cross-on day with some decent ramps (we don't get proper waves at troon) I will go higher for sure... I was also on an older 2013 kite yesterday :wink:

Good day with right kit I reckon I can easily go 15+ as it's what I really excel at - I'm all about the height 8)
I am all about the height too but the conditions have sucked for that round here recently as we have flat to very choppy water.

Soon....SOON!!!
The Russian
Posts: 706
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 10:19 am
Location: Witterings & Hayling

So far have gone out in gusty conditions on smaller kites & only managed 9.9m/6.2s on a 7m.

On Saturday, I was nicely powered on a 13m and did 9.4m/5.9s

The session I am kicking myself about was taking a 5m kite and was underpowered in 45knots+, results were (5m/4.7s) - should have taken the 7m
John.B
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: The Union

The Russian wrote:So far have gone out in gusty conditions on smaller kites & only managed 9.9m/6.2s on a 7m.

On Saturday, I was nicely powered on a 13m and did 9.4m/5.9s

The session I am kicking myself about was taking a 5m kite and was underpowered in 45knots+, results were (5m/4.7s) - should have taken the 7m
What's your name on it and I'll follow?
Tone
Posts: 1951
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:09 pm

Russian, are you riding in waves also?
lewisbn11
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider
Posts: 1707
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Goring-By-Sea
Contact:

I'm on there too.

best thing that has happened in kiteboarding for ages. It's so much fun.

If your struggling to get higher, I can help you with your technique - Watch this space for WOO specific Clinics soon!
John.B
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: The Union

lewisbn11 wrote:
If your struggling to get higher, I can help you with your technique - Watch this space for WOO specific Clinics soon!
Woo! :lol:

So what do people think is ideal condtions for max height?

At 77kg I'd like coss-on from left with good sized flats between pefect ramps. In Troon it would be from SW and I'd want super powered (overpowerd to most) 9m weather as if it gets too windy it will be blown out and more choppy. My best bet to get max height would be on holiday in El Medano, Pigs Bay mid tide powered on a 6m - the ramps that form there are unreal for height.
peet
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:44 pm

I'd have one already if there were Android support too. They're really cutting down their market only supporting iOS so far.

I am surprised by the numbers so far though, I would have thought people would be jumping in excess of kite line lengths. (20-25m)
Does the woo under-read?
Tone
Posts: 1951
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:09 pm

Waves for sure are the key to going silly high.

I doubt many people can get over 15m off the flat though I could be wrong, very wrong.

I am 105ish KG at the moment, so my 10m C4 has to be maxed to the crackers on the flat to go high. I find the 10m Edge goes higher, pound for pound.

Where I am we only have butter flat water or really short, sharp chop. I think I am going to have to get myself to some waves to get up to where you guys are.

Tony
John.B
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: The Union

peet wrote:I'd have one already if there were Android support too. They're really cutting down their market only supporting iOS so far.

I am surprised by the numbers so far though, I would have thought people would be jumping in excess of kite line lengths. (20-25m)
Does the woo under-read?
Yep needs an Android version.

I suppose the reality of how high we are actually jumping is shown with the Woo and as long as it does this consistently we can still compare. I know we don't go as high as we think, but personally on Saturday I felt as if I went a fair bit higher than what was recorded... just no way to realiably prove it and I'll happily take the 12.3m for now.
fdvj
Posts: 1591
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:05 am
Location: brighton

I thought they didn't work so gave up on the idea, but if they do I'm in :-D Could someone attach one to their centre strut and then send the kite to 12 and back down again to see if it any where near accurate.
Filthy
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:04 pm
Location: Hythe. Near Folkestone. KENT!!
Contact:

One of the local riders at camber has one. That's made me interested. Till I saw the price...
Post Reply