BKSA Membership/insurance

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
phil5556

BKSA Membership/insurance

Post by phil5556 »

What's the current thinking on insurance?

When I started out I got BKSA membership and kept it for a couple of years. I renewed it last year at some point but can't remember when or even if it's still valid, I've only just remembered about it.

Is BKSA the way to go still or better off with someone else? Do people still bother with it at all?

Cheers

sunrise

Re: BKSA Membership/insurance

Post by sunrise »

There are 2 main insurances offered . BKSA and the SPKA The latter is £10 cheaper though its terms are slightly less good if you have a claim. As you indicate your location as Glasgow supporting your local provide make sense .

spewing

Post by spewing »

Another option if your into other sports and don't want separate insurance for everything you do.

https://www.sportscoverdirect.com

marksgee

Post by marksgee »

For 2016/17 there is also an insurance policy offered by the HKA. This offers the same cover as the bksa policy but with the addition of windsurfing and paddle boarding. They also give access to their HD webcam and VKSA live weather station. This was originally set up for people riding on Hayling but is now offered nationwide.
Their policy is only £25 per year!
See http://www.hka.org.uk/

ChunkSter

Post by ChunkSter »

Anyone ever claimed on their kite insurance ,am wondering if its worth getting anymore.

Sonnyrider

Post by Sonnyrider »

I know someone had an incident a few years back and the claim via BKSA was a painless experience.

phil5556

Post by phil5556 »

Cheers for the replies, I renewed it this year.

I hope I never have to test it out.

Might check out the hka one next year.

Dragnfly

Post by Dragnfly »

I signed for http://www.hka.org.uk/ this time around, after years of BKSA - just because it's cheaper and appears to have the same terms - and because the BKSA website and access to your account was a pain in the butt.

aquilone
Antispam: No

Post by aquilone »

So it's less of a pain in the butt dealing with the "Hayling Kitesurf ASSOCATION" as their banner says ?

Sorry couldn't resist. :lol:

PeaBody

Post by PeaBody »

why do I need insurance? If I need insurance for this do I need it to play Frisbee on the beach?

badgb21

Post by badgb21 »

PeaBody wrote:why do I need insurance? If I need insurance for this do I need it to play Frisbee on the beach?

That’s a good question.

Let’s suppose you trash something expensive when your kite line breaks on your 2007 Slingshot or you hit a child on the beach, leading to a serious condition.

You live at home with your mum and your biggest asset is your kite gear and maybe a boner of a car. You have no kitesurfing third party insurance.
Well, you would hardly be worth suing for the direct costs or for the care the child may need for the rest of their life. You’d probably be declared bankrupt and some lawyers may go after your mums’ assets, though that may be not much, if at all possible.
You probably weren’t negligent as it was kit failure and after months of anxious waiting the police may say it’s a civil matter, avoiding any criminal prosecution. Unlikely to be as black and white as this if you hurt someone.
Would a court make you pay from future earnings, you never know…..

Now, you may have a great story to tell down the pub about the ‘gin palace’ your wrecked and how they tried to sue you and the tosser didn’t deserve it anyway or it may be you realize what you have done to another human being and not even able to help them in the future and become stricken with grief, affecting your life and maybe your family’s, perhaps to a serious degree, depending on your moral compass.

Another scenario is that you’ve worked for many years, had some success and are worth a bit, now is when the lawyers will get hungry and some third party kitesurf insurance my insulate you from losing some or all of your wealth.

Now, I’m no lawyer, but have been around a bit to have had enough to with them (mainly business, I might add, ahem!) So the scenarios may play out quite differently and will be very specific to the case, who knows what may happen. Every bit of legal advice seems to be different at the start of an event to that given at the end IMHO.

The chances of you doing something with your kite as above are very slim, I agree, but when it goes bad, it can go very bad. So for 25 quid a year would you seriously risk it?
It won’t protect you from the effects of hurting another human, but it may help the mess you leave behind.
Some of the insurances have some good secondary benefits too.

As for the Frisbee on the beach, you may well be covered under your household insurance (third party liability element), assuming you have some. Again, I’m no lawyer so check this out and take professional advice.

For me it’s not just about protecting assets, it also about ‘doing the right thing’ to help reduce the impact of issues, should they occur.
A similar outlook to perhaps minimizing the risks in the first place – maybe those 9yr old lines and kite do need replacing……and kiting around kids isn’t so clever.

For many beaches it’s a personal choice to have TP insurance, but really why risk it for 25 quid a year.

Dragnfly

Post by Dragnfly »

PeaBody wrote:why do I need insurance? If I need insurance for this do I need it to play Frisbee on the beach?

Is this a wind up.

On the flip side - what if someone ran over you on their kiteboard, rendering you unable to walk properly for the next 10 years - would you be expecting some sort of compo? You'd probably deserve it. But what if it was some selfish f***er such as yourself, with no insurance, and no assets - meaning you'd get diddly squat. How would that feel?

PeaBody

Post by PeaBody »

Just because you have insurance it does not protect against negligence.

Your a sensible chap, if loads of kids started playing in your kiting spot you would stop, if you were a responsible adult you would not let your children play in that area. If you the above applies you have removed some of the risk.... but its ok I have paid my £25 I can do what I like.

I am kind of mucking about, who says I don't have insurance, I just feel its a bit scaremongering.

Dragnfly

Post by Dragnfly »

Ah, ok, fairy nuff. Sadly not all people are as sensible as you.

highalpha_pass

Post by highalpha_pass »

PeaBody wrote:Just because you have insurance it does not protect against negligence.

Your a sensible chap, if loads of kids started playing in your kiting spot you would stop, if you were a responsible adult you would not let your children play in that area. If you the above applies you have removed some of the risk.... but its ok I have paid my £25 I can do what I like.

I am kind of mucking about, who says I don't have insurance, I just feel its a bit scaremongering.

Scaremongering is the definition of insurance! Its all bull 99.9% of the time. However, my kite blew away in 35+ and knocked someone out. An actual accident I could not control and completely unexpected. That was the one time in 10+ years of using kites. The rest of the time I hurt myself. So its few and far between but it can happen. Should you be insured, or worse, forced to be insured? Im glad I was.