Last two weeks in June...Scotland ?

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
liberate
Antispam: No

Re: Last two weeks in June...Scotland ?

Post by liberate »

I really enjoyed reading this. Made me want to go back again which I think I'll do in later October (as the wind is pretty much guaranteed then). The number of spots there are on north / south uist is amazing. Went to Lewis / Harris last year which seemed spot poor in comparison.

John.B

Post by John.B »

Great write-up.

It was good to meet you in person - and thanks for the launch. It is place I'd love to visit, but persuading the non-kiting other half who knows what our weather can be like is the difficult part!

Sonnyrider

Post by Sonnyrider »

Thanks for the comments.

Was good to meet you in person as well John.

Yeah, I understand kiting isn't for everyone. I'm a lucky one where the other half enjoys it. I see many having time restraints.

We were going to visit Harris\Lewis, but didn't have the inclination as there were so many good spots on North Uist. Plus looking at the map of Harris it only really showed a couple of spots and they would mostly suit northerly winds.
I know Harris is a beautiful island, for it's walks and mountains.

We found North Uist had what we wanted. All within a short distance from the campsite.

Sonnyrider

Post by Sonnyrider »

Just remembered.

I was chatting via email with someone when we were on our last day and missing out on a windy day or two in the forecast once we left the island.
They said to drive at night, much less time taken that way. I said time was tight and said that may work for 'down south'.

I wished I had listened to him. Following some of the grannies at 35 was very annoying when it was a 60 and no place to safely over take in a van. Next time I will seriously consider driving during the evening, as clearly it will save time

duc996bp

Post by duc996bp »

Great report, brought back memories of when I went 2 years ago. Sadly there was very little wind when I was there.
I think there are 2 campsites at North Uist, we stayed at the one more inland (excellent), I think the one you went to is near some bird watching spot???
Found some incredible beaches, however getting the van close is a challeng. I plan to return for another adventure..and it is going there, hopefully sooner than later.
John

Sonnyrider

Post by Sonnyrider »

Yes, the tracks can be challenging. But with thought and driving slowly we manged a few tricky ones.
Some of the tracks we drove along are not car friendly. At times I had to drive out of the rut and put the wheels on the bank, zig zagging along the track, trying to find the best route. There was one track which split into two routes, we took the right hand side, which was the wrong one, but didn't realise until we stopped and looked back Part of that track had a bank we had to drive down, I did it slowly and at an angle, I am sure the sills were touching the ground. I'm glad I didn't have the side bars fitted to the van, or we would have not made some of the tracks we drove.
If we had a 4x4, then that would have opened up a few more beaches to us.