Hydrofoils - An initial review

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
BrightonSurf

I purchased a Liquid Force Rocket Fish Hydrofoil at the Armarda after getting a great deal from S2AS and Liquid Force. As a pretty average rider I thought I would give a short review of my initial experience of it after 1 session . After my first session I can ride along and engage the foil (although my rides are very up and down doing the "Dolphin") - but it is certainly not as hard as I thought. The feeling of rising out of the water as you put pressure on your back foot is totally alien and it really is something totally different from anything else in kitesurfing. The name rocket fish really describes the sensation, you feel as if you have a rocket under your board. The liquid force foil starts lifting at very low board speeds and probably makes the learning experience easier. I really wouldnt want to be blasting along before I engage the foil!

Key points I have learnt are:

1) Dont jam your feet in the straps - I only use the front straps and you only need them for water starting. When up and riding position your feet so they are almost out of the straps so you can bail.

2) Dont try to correct things when something you are not expecting happens - jump off immediately! As a beginner you just have no understanding of what the hydrofoil wants to do and it is best not to find out. Sheet in your kite and bail over the front to clear the board/foil. I get the impression that bailing out before things hit the fan is an important part of kitefoiling.

3) When up on the foil put the kite almost in a neutral position and focus on balancing slowly shifting your weight between your front and back foot.

If you have good kite control and some experience on directional boards then hydrofoiling is probably not as hard as you think. Although I have very limited experience what I can tell right away is that this is not a "fad" and the sensation of flying over the water on a foil is incredible.
Tone

yeah, I am 18 months in now and still absolutly LOVE IT!
David
Site Admin

I'm just about to start, had a brief try on a LF last year
Got a Moses board now, but due to a hectic year so far, I've not had chance to get out.
All change next week as I'm chugging down to Cornwall in one of my old VW's, so will be taking the FB (and a TT, kite surfboard and longboard)
so will probably head down to Marazion

Thanks for starting this thread, makes reassuring reading for somebody like myself
The moses had a really good review in iksurf and its looks to be well priced. Hopefully I'll keep the carbon in good order

Tony
BrightonSurf

Tony wrote: Thanks for starting this thread, makes reassuring reading for somebody like myself
The moses had a really good review in iksurf and its looks to be well priced. Hopefully I'll keep the carbon in good order

Tony
Goods luck with the trip you should be up and riding before too long :) Just remember you have to keep your center of gravity over the hydrofoil and resist any temptation to edge