foil board - what kite?

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
#ed
Antispam: No

As I am firmly on the band wagon of foiling in light winds what kite to use?

I guess the purest would advise something like a chrono but as I have a tenancy for stuffing the kite into the sea and then not being able to re-launch in less than 14 knots I am not sure this is a good idea. Pros / cons?

From the LEI perspective what works best something wave orientated i.e with very controllable power, something more freestyle, C type or something like the Naish trip?
David
Site Admin

I'm just about to start foiling and figured my 12 mtr airush wave would be fine
Blast

edit
Last edited by Blast on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blast

I've been using my regular 11m (Epic Renegade) in very light winds which has been fine....until you drop it!!
I'm no expert as still very new to this but it seems if you can keep the kite in the sky...you can foil, just don't drop it though or you will surely end up swimming!
#ed

I guess this is also about where I am, 12m obsession as soon as I can get I kite to fly I am off, a very real 10 knots however dropping it is the problem! But get more than 16 and I quickly want to reach for a 9 as the foil seems to increase the wind exponentially.

wondering if a wave kite would water relaunch in really light winds better, I guess not but..... Also would the really on off power of a wave kite suit foiling better than a freeride type kite
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

last super light session I did ended up like sam light. except I was not in a shipping channel! lol
I was thinking of putting a 5th line on my union so I could re-launch it in a few knots less than normal.
lets you help get the kite on it's back and helps it fill to relaunch...
#ed

Could be a good idea but normally I can get it back up on it's side just not out of the water!

The airrush vantage looks like it might be a good bet?
tombeaton

Foil kites are less likely to fall out of the sky in the first place. Despite the perception that foil kites are harder to relaunch in light winds - they are actually much easier to relaunch. The reason being they are a) much lighter, and b) the bridle means you are lifting the entire trailing edge of the kite rather than just pulling on a single point at each tip of the kite. It obviously helps being experienced/comfortable with foil kites.

For the flysurfer boost 15 and 18, but also available as an extra on smaller sizes, there is a trailing edge bridle designed for exactly this purpose.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

#ed wrote:Could be a good idea but normally I can get it back up on it's side just not out of the water!

The airrush vantage looks like it might be a good bet?
Yeah, I'm not so sure...
Vantage is a great Kite though..
I've had an 8, 13, 15, 17 and 18 over the years. the latest one is by far he best (though that old 18 lw - 3 strut, super light) was the best light wind tube kite I have ever owned..

That said, if you drop it in light winds, you'll struggle to get it back up, and efficiency is all well and good, but if you are chasing that then you are better off with a 2k foil kite..

For me efficiency is something that foils don't really need - they need user friendly traits. To be honest, a DNA is cracking - restarts in nothing, stable, loads of sheeting range. Have used the Union quite a bit and that's a really good kite - very efficient and good range.

One aspect where our kites do really well is the bridle system. the unique thing about it is that you have complete steerage of the kite at the highest levels of depower, which is invaluable.. most kites have back lines that go slack when you depower (like a razor) and that's the end of your steering - you have to re-power to get them to turn. the V4 bridle has cracking handling under high levels of depower.
dedalus

For sure it tests your flying skills - as mike says you can't do anything if you can't steer. I have found - comparing disciplines - that on a surf board or twin I dig in hard so I can chuck the kite into an aggressive turn. not so easy on a foil - so sometimes in a blow I have to head up to get the kite low then bear away a bit to allow me to sheet in and get some steering back - then make the turn. This seems to work with any kite - but so does a downloop. The thing I would kill for is better drift - I bought a religion hoping it would be more drifty than the airush wave - but its not - bearing in wind that you can "fly" for a few seconds without the kite at all . I was looking for a way to get a cloud but Greg has stopped international shipping.
Wielandt

Hi Guy's

Been foiling for a year now. Started out with LF Solo 12, 9, 6.5. They are light and easy to relaunch.

The last month I have been using a Gong strutless 12 as my light wind kite. It's super light, 1 kg less than the Solo 12, which not is heavy at all.

With 30 m lines I got all the power I need from 4 m/s. The Gong relaunch extremly easy due to it's minimal weight.

Soo thumbs up for Gong. :P
The Russian

Lots of the kiters on Hayling use & love the 10m Naish Trip. I use Ozone Edges and really like them for foiling - I found Parks & Reo's were ok in strong winds, but lack the Edge's efficiency & speed.

The Chrono is a whole leap up in performance - truly staggering in light winds - on my first session, I was going 18-20knots on a 15m when all the other foilers couldn't launch their trips as the wind was so light. BUT, when the wind goes, make sure you are not too far out, concentrate on a v good pack down technique (if not packed down, the Chrono fills with water and acts like a sea anchor) and get used to swimming ! Then prepare to have to deal with tangled bridles - NEVER detach any lines when trying to untangle, unless you want to turn a mess into an epic cluster #### !