Self Launching - Anchor vs no Anchor

New to the sport, ask questions in here, ask anything you want, we all had to start somewhere!
Rainey

Hi Guys,

Ive been Kiting for about 7 months now and have always been kiting when other people have been around or had a mate to Launch and catch my kite. However Id like to have the ability to self launch and land should I need to. Obviously when I crash the kite in the water I can re launch it, and I have landed my kite a few times on the beach my pulling the top lines down and pulling them towards me quickly.

I did however read online that you can use an Ikea bag filled with sand to help you self launch and land should no one be there to assist. But I feel that although this is a good idea, it would be good for me to learn to self launch and land without the use of an anchor. Whats everyones thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Tom
JGTR

In good conditions self launching/landing untethered is fine but when the conditions are poor and you really need a safe method to self launch/land then tethered is only way for me. I generally use beach/street furniture, something solid and immovable...although I have used my board buried in the sand before.