The new SHINN thread for 2013 - a new season...

All the latest news from The Kitesurfing world!
migelete

Hi Folks!

I have been reading all Shinn boards threads for 2013 and I'm struggling to chose my next board
My favorites are Supershinn and Monk Forever (as well as Nobile NHP but really want to go for Shinn brand)

Can you please advise on the right board & size to chose from?

I'm 6.2 (approx 188cm) tall / 87kgs (in line to lose weight but my lower one is about 84kgs)
I ride Slingshot RPMS 12M & 9M for 15 - +30knots
Advanced rider in free ride : wants to go fast, charge high, high jumps in waves and flat and going first unhooked
Spots are various : mainly flat with some chop, wave ramps and few lagoons...

My goal is to have a "one board" to do all and also to evolve in my riding

Last question : what about the plastic piece in between the board and screw head. Are they reliable ? I travel a lot to kite so will need to mount unmount several times a year.
I ask that as this is always a pint of failure with my previous boards (Nobile, North...)

Hope that helps !

Thanks All !

Migelete
ronnie

The Street is designed to perform in between the Supershinn and the Monk, so its another to consider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDF4Ki80cg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
looktodskies
Antispam: No

I have the street. Beautiful board. Well worth a look. Ride in mostly choppy waters and it handles the chop nicely. dont get sore knees from it at all. Also very forgiving on bad landings which are what i do mostly at the moment!! :)

Question for those that use bindings though.. what make or model of bindings do you use with your boards? looking to get a pair but cant find a good recommendation. Something that suits the street board and wont damage the board fittings in the long run..
migelete

migelete wrote:Hi Folks!

I have been reading all Shinn boards threads for 2013 and I'm struggling to chose my next board
My favorites are Supershinn and Monk Forever (as well as Nobile NHP but really want to go for Shinn brand)

Can you please advise on the right board & size to chose from?

I'm 6.2 (approx 188cm) tall / 87kgs (in line to lose weight but my lower one is about 84kgs)
Advanced rider in free ride : wants to go fast, charge high, high jumps in waves and flat and going first unhooked

Last question : what about the plastic piece in between the board and screw head. Are they reliable ? I travel a lot to kite so will need to mount unmount several times a year.
I ask that as this is always a pint of failure with my previous boards (Nobile, North...)

Hope that helps !

Thanks All !

Migelete
For Mike & Folks,

What would be the size for each model : MF/ SS / Street ?
Thanks !
migelete

ronnie wrote:The Street is designed to perform in between the Supershinn and the Monk, so its another to consider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDF4Ki80cg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, thanks difficult choice ...

The main goal is to have a fast board that kick me in the air like a missile and that's give good adrenaline.
for ex. I liked Nobile 666 but I feel too stiff sometimes and I tried also Balance board that was super comfy but the opposite in term of sensations (few adrenaline, normal jumps...) if you know what I mean.
valdez

Migelete the answer is simple ,,Monk forever 132 x 41 or 134 x 42, I`m 85kg and happy on either but love the 41.. I have all three in the van, all great for different reasons but for one board quiver you can throw anything at the Monk and it will deliver big time !! Ride like a hooligan, go Monk!!
migelete

valdez wrote:Migelete the answer is simple ,,Monk forever 132 x 41 or 134 x 42, I`m 85kg and happy on either but love the 41.. I have all three in the van, all great for different reasons but for one board quiver you can throw anything at the Monk and it will deliver big time !! Ride like a hooligan, go Monk!!
Thanks valdez, was thinking more on 134x42 for my size (tall & not so light)
On your experience, what are the main differences between both ? Depending on wind conditions
I have RPMs 12&9 Kites
ronnie

There is a comparison here between the Monk Forever and the Street by John Barber (John.B)

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=47485&p=330808&hil ... et#p330808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

migelete wrote: I'm 6.2 (approx 188cm) tall / 87kgs (in line to lose weight but my lower one is about 84kgs)
I would say 134x42 Monk Forever, without question. Sounds likeyou charge, and get a lot of value from riding fast and hard. In this the Monk F will be the most impressive kit you could hope for. It's unique in
go fast, charge high, high jumps in waves
The other boards in the range have their unique qualities, and also share many, but the Monk F is exactly what you are looking for.
Right now you are 134x42 for sure.
If you do get to 84kgs then you will be 132x41, if you are light on your feet and maintain the same fast aggressive riding style.

migelete wrote:Last question : what about the plastic piece in between the board and screw head. Are they reliable ? I travel a lot to kite so will need to mount unmount several times a year.
The first generation washers (2010) were poor, but everything in the last 3 years have been the bespoke engineered ones. When we tested them we used vices, hammers, freezers.. They are EXCEPTIONALLY durable. I have seen only 1-2 go, but it must have been a material issue. They are also in stock and pennies, so if you buy a board just specify and we can give you a couple extra in the box.

Bindings;
looktodskies wrote:something that suits the street board and wont damage the board fittings in the long run..
I have not seen or heard of an insert warranty on a Shinn board since it started 4 years ago, bindings or not.. go shopping for a good pair - I used to use them back in 2002/2003, enjoyed them a lot...
:-)
migelete

Thanks Mike / All ! Will definitely go for MF 134,
& Share my feedback once tested :-)
Cheers,
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

More explanations on Speedball..
W16 is in stock, W18 will be back in 10-14 days..

The tech is very different to a normal twin...

valdez

Have taken the Speedball W16 out for some full day sessions in powered 9m wind and lighter days , waves and chop recently...

Jumped on, (85kg) and going straight away, bit more of a rough and ready ride compared to the creamy smooth SS but I liked the feedback it gives you, solid in the water but still agile. Stiffness wise it feels like a Street..
Smooth out through the chop and benefits from popping the wider nose up over the rough stuff, upwind is no problem, sort of tempts you to go those extra few degrees into the wind.

Great fun in the waves, turns nice and drives along, it loosens up when you get used to it and you can soon slide and skid it around which surprised me....carving is real nice, get it wrong and the extra drive from the design keeps you going and gives you some breathing space for correction and you are back on it.! Very user friendly..

Flies off wave ramps like a bullet and landings are comfy, powered jumps felt a bit sticky at first compared to a Monk, but it will sharpen up your technique to get airborne nicely.

Previous comments are right, you cannot label this board, coming off Monk, SS and Street I found it a refreshing ride suited to our local conditions and it leaves you wondering what you can get out of it next time, a little different "all terrain four wheel drive FUN!!"

letsgoflyakite
Antispam: No

Went for Dundee 133x42. Out this morning in gusty wind and crappy chop, and, WOW ! Super smooth. Think the pads themselves help a great deal, they have their own suspension. I loved my Nobile 666, but this board is everything I hoped for, and I hoped for a lot. . Thanks to all replies, very helpful, and a big up to Mike B.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Very good!
The Dundee is a good board... I like it a lot.

Just to let you all know - Mark Shinn and I will be at Camber with The Kitesurf Centre tomorrow am, good forecast and a van FULL of demo kit for you all..
Drop by if you can get the morning off.. tides are good!
Roland

ronnie wrote:It's 16" or 18" wide, of unknown length. But the 16" - which should be 40.64 cm is actually 42.5 cm? .
Is this true Mike...??

Have to say I`m really keen on trying a W16 SB because i LOVE carving around and boosting in the waves...