The new SHINN thread for 2013 - a new season...

All the latest news from The Kitesurfing world!
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Roland wrote:
ronnie wrote:It's 16" or 18" wide, of unknown length. But the 16" - which should be 40.64 cm is actually 42.5 cm? .
Is this true Mike...??

Have to say I`m really keen on trying a W16 SB because i LOVE carving around and boosting in the waves...
that is also Monk territory -
W16 is 16 inches wide, and 128 long, but it's tips are not square, so it's more like 120, without the tip burying tendencies though..
if you are thinking of a new board you probably need a demo...?
matt_s
Antispam: No

Mike B wrote:
Roland wrote:
ronnie wrote:It's 16" or 18" wide, of unknown length. But the 16" - which should be 40.64 cm is actually 42.5 cm? .
Is this true Mike...??

Have to say I`m really keen on trying a W16 SB because i LOVE carving around and boosting in the waves...
that is also Monk territory -
W16 is 16 inches wide, and 128 long, but it's tips are not square, so it's more like 120, without the tip burying tendencies though..
if you are thinking of a new board you probably need a demo...?
Ro - obviously demo the Speedball, but if you're thinking replacing your twintip you should definitely demo the Monk as well. For a "standard" twin tip it is so good in the waves and for carving it has to be tried to be believed.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Has anyone read the new test on the Monk Forever in kiteworld? It's really very good,
In fact, it's fantastic.
I'll write it up next week, but if you have a chance to read, it's worth it.
If you own a Monk Forever, read it and get ready to feel smug! lol
rakeem15

Mike B wrote:If you own a Monk Forever, read it and get ready to feel smug! lol
...the more so given the price I paid for mine Mike!
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Cracking demo day today - all the twins out from Shinn - Bluff, Hayle, Cornwall.
You know what one of my favourite new boards is?
The RED!
so much grip, so soft and so comfortable. It's very locked in.. Lookng forward to trying a small one under a lot of power..
Speedball W18 - very fast and excellent in the lighter airs.

Some shots;
Roland

Just out of curiosity Mike which of the following would get going first in low`ish wind...

Dundee 135x44
Red 141x44
SuperShinn 137x44
Monk FE 136x44
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Roland wrote: Dundee 135x44
Red 141x44
SuperShinn 137x44
Monk FE 136x44
That's a difficult question to answer, as it's a close call, but I would say RED.
It doesn't accelerate like the Dundee, and doesn't build the top end speed of the Monk, but bit by bit, in very marginal winds, that long straight rail builds apparent wind and gives you a lot of upwind bite that you can really use to push up the airspeed over your kite.

Dundee feels the smallest,
Supershinn has the most mid range drive and pop,
Monk Forever has the most top end speed and control.

In truth though they are all very close in low end, within 1-2 knots of each other.
Sonnyrider

Roland wrote:Just out of curiosity Mike which of the following would get going first in low`ish wind...

Dundee 135x44
Red 141x44
SuperShinn 137x44
Monk FE 136x44
I've a 135x44 Dundee and I weigh 97kgs
The bottom end for me starting off is 14mph, but I can keep going when it lulls to 13. Depends on the conditions really
Roland

Sonnyrider wrote:I've a 135x44 Dundee and I weigh 97kgs
The bottom end for me starting off is 14mph, but I can keep going when it lulls to 13. Depends on the conditions really

With what kite bud..... ??
Sonnyrider

Roland wrote:
Sonnyrider wrote:I've a 135x44 Dundee and I weigh 97kgs

With what kite bud..... ??
Sorry, a 14m catalyst
I can get going one or two less lower with the zephyr, but it is hard work
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Here is the test on the Monk Forever, from Kiteworld.
It's rather good. Excellent in fact. A few months in completion - tested in Cape Town, SA.

- "The Monk is the ultimate weapon."
- "If you've ever had the pleasure of carving rail to rail down the side of a mountain side covered in a fresh layer of snow on a snowboard, then you'll have some idea how the Monk feels, transforming lumps and bumps into a lovely silky smooth feel underfoot as if you are riding around on a cushion of air."
- "It's a very special board and very difficult for freeriders to look beyond."
- "these are definitely among the top three pads and straps available on the market for us"
- "comfort and style, carving rail to rail, boosting huge, landing soft, riding fast, throwing a huge range of tricks, and generally having more fun than the next guy."

The Hype;
You know you have done something right when your board is described as "Board of the Year". Shinn tweaked, fettled and honed and now bring you the Monk Forever; re-defining the board that redefined the genre. Grippier, slashier, speedier... what more could you want? If your idea of kiteboarding is ripping, gouging and allround high speed action, then look no further. A Monk this good was always going to be Forever.

Test Team Notes;
Well, the Monk Forever is certainly a Shinn! While you may not enjoy every single graphic that comes on Shinn boards, they are certainly unique and have a certain vibe about them. Some of you will love it and get on with it straight away, others perhaps not, but personally, all of us loved this monk, and up close in the flesh, that blue base is just fantastic.
And this isn't just another twin tip on the water either. At 132 we thought it was going to be a bit small, but it wasn't, it was super nimble, versatile and very light. As mentioned on the Supershinn last issue, a major difference this year is the pad and strap setup. When the first generation Shinn pads and straps came out they were certainly very different in feel. Nice and thick and quite raised in the heel but we felt that we wanted a bit more support from the strap a bit higher up the foot. These new models are very, very soft there's no rubbing at all, they cover your foot beautifully, tighten nicely and just work. There are no short cuts with Shinn boards, and these are definitely among the top three pads and straps available on the market for us; they just help you ride.... in comfort and with support. They look simple and rounded but there is no chicken dance to get your feet wedged in. Your locked in straight off the beach, this really helps with the fantastic connection you feel with the board and there is no rubbing whatsoever anywhere on your foot.

The conditions in Cape Town are best described as challenging especially for a twin tip. On any given day you'll be up against some sort of swell - wind swell at the very least - chop as well as lovely smooth sections between the waves. You'll get out on all you kite sizes, although primarily the seven meter will be your most used size, so you can get an idea of what the board riding conditions will be like.
The Monk is the ultimate weapon. If you've ever had the pleasure of carving rail to rail down the side of a mountain side covered in a fresh layer of snow on a snowboard, then you'll have some idea how the Monk feels, transforming lumps and bumps into a lovely silky smooth feel underfoot as if you are riding around on a cushion of air. What you'll have no idea of is how it's done. Shinn only really reveal that they use a constant rocker, other than that, bottom is smooth and flat and all the magic is contained within. It's a very special board and very difficult for freeriders to look beyond. There isn't the highly sprung trampoline effect you get from a flatter rockered, bouncier board with more lively flex, so if you are a hard charging, new school freestyler looking for the ultimate pop, this isn't for you, although if you do have a go on one you might question your dedication to such powered freestyle as the Monk will suck you into its lovely warm chocolatey clutches. job done.

Summary;
This is for any rider who wants to go out in any conditions and ride all day long in comfort and style, carving rail to rail, boosting huge, landing soft, riding fast, throwing a huge range of tricks, and generally having more fun than the next guy.

KW Liked;
That it's back and it's Forever

KW would change;
Bigger hardcore wake style freestylers will want more pop.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

An epic demo day today at Dollymount Beach, Bull Island, Dubin... courtesy of Pure Magic..
http://www.battleforthebay.com/PureMagi ... lcome.html
We had nearly every board and kite out for 8 hours, great crowd here and we were blessed by some very good and un-forecast conditions. Standard of riding is high!
Great to meet all the Dubliners, you have a good scene here... Mark Shinn was also with us..
We did 18m Li zero, 18m VXR2, 17m VXR2, 15m VXR, 14m Lithium, 12m lithium, 12m VX, Sectors, Slayers, and virtually every shinn board in the range!
thanks to all who came, fairly sunburned now :oops:
dublin.jpg
dublin.jpg (191.65 KiB) Viewed 763 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Inna wrote:I have just tried my new 130x40 toyboy 2013, after having been using Naish momentum 2010 (thats been a favourite so far)...have tried momentum 2011, underground, f-one...The toyboy is in a league of its own - the 2 hour session that I ve just finished has already improved my performance, and i ve been kiting for 3-4 years now! The pop is unbelievable, the board is the lightest board I can imagine having strapped onto your feet, you just feel like you glide above the water basically. A friend who is a semi-pro has recommended this to me, and i cant be thankful enough. She s been riding supershinn and monk before, and also tried other brand's female specific boards, and she now only rides the toyboy as for her as well its the best board out there! am desperately waiting for the wind to come back to go out for more:)
A great review there of a Toyboy 130x40. thought I would share :-)
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Apologies for the lack of W18 Speedball...
We are struggling with catchup of orders after the launch. I rarely order a lot of the largest boards, and having not tried one I did not understand what they were.. There should be a half decent stock of them arriving at the end of the month.
San4x
Antispam: No

Received my W18 Speedball today....woooooot...!

Can't wait to get it out on the waters!

Quick question: I noticed there are two different footstrap mounts: I guess for "normal" and "wider" stance...?

I checked my Dundee because the dealer mounted the footstraps on there when I got it, and it's set for the inner ("normal") configuration.

What's the difference in feel when I chose the "wider" stance...any experiences out there?

Cheers, San.