Super light wind riding

All the latest news from The Kitesurfing world!
doggy

Short clip of us taking out the 14m Liquid Force NRG and Airush Sector 60 last Sunday to see how light we could go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-_fl1FvPtY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wind was only 3-4 mph so had to work hard to keep the kite in the sky and get the board onto the plane but it was doable and a great fun session when the flags were stuck to their poles and the water was like a mirror :)
Roland

If that footage was taken at camber on sunday I can understand why you were going when the sea was a mirror.......... :wink:
Tone

doggy wrote:Short clip of us taking out the 14m Liquid Force NRG and Airush Sector 60 last Sunday to see how light we could go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-_fl1FvPtY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wind was only 3-4 mph so had to work hard to keep the kite in the sky and get the board onto the plane but it was doable and a great fun session when the flags were stuck to their poles and the water was like a mirror :)
You're using an app to measure wind speed?

Sorry to be that guy but that Is not 3-4 mph. That's as bad as Mike B saying he was riding a sector on a 10m in 5 knots.

The sectors go early! No need for the bs that people feel the need to spout regarding the validity of their performance.

I'm not sure what is more funny, an app for wind or the 3mph claim.

It's early so sorry if this offends.

Tony
Tone

Roland wrote:If that footage was taken at camber on sunday I can understand why you were going when the sea was a mirror.......... :wink:
ya off shore wind.
Roland

Tone wrote:ya off shore wind.
I know that ya turkey, bleedin obvious..... :roll: ... Theres one more part of the puzzle they`ve failed to mention..
Tone

Roland wrote:
Tone wrote:ya off shore wind.
I know that ya turkey, bleedin obvious..... :roll: ... Theres one more part of the puzzle they`ve failed to mention..
I was agreeing with you, you, ya sod.

Just checked the historical data and it was 10-15 on sunday, NE.

I'm still reeling at the thought of using an app as an accurate anometer.
fdvj

I agree that using an app to show the wind speed is slightly lacking in credibility, but then any meter reading on the beach does not represent what the kite is seeing. I was testing a new harness yesterday and decided to do it next to shoreham beach weathers station which reads from on top of a house on the beach, so approximately kite height and gives a second by second live readout. I discovered that my Fat lady would stay in the air without input until it lulled below 6 knots which impressed me and was interesting but I don't think I could ride in that.
Tone

fdvj wrote:I agree that using an app to show the wind speed is slightly lacking in credibility, but then any meter reading on the beach does not represent what the kite is seeing.
Very true.
doggy

Roland wrote:If that footage was taken at camber on sunday I can understand why you were going when the sea was a mirror.......... :wink:

Haha, yep, super flat this Sunday with the NE winds, would have been fun to speed up and down on the smooth water. This was last Sunday (2nd June), wind was N/NW but spun around onshore later in the afternoon as the sea breeze kicked in.

As fvdj said, his kite would hang in the air in 6 knots, the wind on this day was not enough for that, had to keep the kite moving to keep it in the sky, downloops and ollieing the board away from the kite to stay on the plane and keep line tension when it was climbing back up after dives.

Unfortunately we did not have a windmeter with us on the day so used the app, had to test the lightwind and do the video as we rarely have wind this low so had to make the most of the day. We have used it before against an xplorer windmeter and it has shown the same, they are very accurate if you calibrate them correctly and don't shout at them. Had to turn the boat engine off when we filmed the phone otherwise it was in the high 20s, ha! I agree that any reading whether it is an app or meter is not 100% accurate as you are on the ground and the kite is in the sky but it is useful to give a measure of the speed and especially on the first two riding clips you can see how smooth the water is showing how light it was. This is also not particularly close to shore, (need to stay deep with the long fins) was about 200-500m out so not receiving any affects from the small fetch of riding right up against a beach.
Roland

Tone wrote: I was agreeing with you, you, ya sod..
................ :oops:

Sorry Tone, know idea what I was thinking.... I`m the Turkey!!! .... :(
BrightonSurf

For me the low end for staying upwind on a sector v3 with a 16m Crossbow is about 7 knots with maybe a few 5/6 knot lulls. Constant 8-9 knots and I am going upwind like crazy. Problem is if you dump your kite in much below 9 knots you are swimming back to the beach.