Shinn's 2014 thread - news, reviews and info

All the latest news from The Kitesurfing world!
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

pierre wrote:Mike, out of interest, how much rocker does the Speedball has and does it start where the winglets are?
The rocker goes right the way through the board, tip to tip, but the wingers represent the real length of the board. The tips are there to make such a short length civilised.. They keep the spray out of your eyes and they also stop the nose from disappearing when you get your weight in the wrong place.
Rocker is a funny thing to quantify, for a shorter board on the same rocker bed has less overall rocker than a longer board, so while we could find you some numbers they wouldn't really mean much - it's all about how it works in situ.

I'd say that it was a medium to high rocker if it were 135 and stood next to a Turbo or similar, but the Speedball is not really a board you can compare to other boards in any way. It's out of the box, and therefore the same rules don't apply to it, so I would just stop thinking of numbers, save yourself a headache and go ride it! :-)

Too little Rocker, Too much rocker, sometimes things don't work out like you'd think; one of the biggest surprises for me this year were the Red (which feels like the opposite way to how I would expect it to feel), and the ADHD, which has so much rocker that you'd think it needed a tractor to pull it. Not so, it's very slippy through the water.

I'd also say they for powered riders, the ADHD is pulling in a fan base like nothing we have seen since the Monk.
waverider

Short-N-Fat, Eh Mike.

You finally got yourself a Short-N-Fat that everyone wants. Remember this ?

http://imageshack.com/a/img202/2751/dscf9065t.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sonnyrider

Mike B wrote: I'd say that it was a medium to high rocker if it were 135 and stood next to a Turbo or similar, but the Speedball is not really a board you can compare to other boards in any way. It's out of the box, and therefore the same rules don't apply to it, so I would just stop thinking of numbers, save yourself a headache and go ride it! :-)
Having owned one, this is the only way to think of a Speedball

Forget thinking TT sizes, rocker, tips, fins, the lot. Just ride it. But do not use back foot pressure all the time, if you do, you will not get the best from it. Awesome fun board, esp good in white water
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

waverider wrote:Short-N-Fat, Eh Mike.
Remember this ?
Yup pre-speedball.. v-1 :-)
broraboyan

I can't afford one so I'm making one similar Image

Still got to shape it and name it SPEEDBAWZ
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

shift those blocks fast.. that's no cc rocker ;-)
.. and I hope your design doesn't necessitate leaving the blocks in place when riding. If it does, I would suggest you leave the leash off.
;-)
broraboyan

You'd never bend that wall board to concave but I'll get it bent this one way and see what happens plus with it being marine ply I can chamfer the concave shape in once I have the main shape cut. Blocks go in the bag, leash will stay at home, maybe ;-)
waverider

Trust me, I have been where he's at.

Carefully constructed and shaped pieces of plywood of varying qualities produced nothing, this-all ended in frustration which produced hastily concocted pieces in order to deal with design-idea-changes.

In the end I blamed it on the fins.

Even the best ply you can buy cannot replicate the material thats being put into kiteboards. Even if you are out of work it isn't worth the effort, better to find someone to give you a decent board that has lost it's appeal.
broraboyan

It's just a side line for me, a wee project, I have a trax 4, wam 6ft and a homemade skim board shaped and sized just like north skim fish works great to if I say so myself.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

broraboyan wrote:a wee project
Everyone needs a project.. :-)
I have a vaccuum pump and bags in the shed... I enjoyed it, may do it again one day.
I certainly learned a lot.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Turbo time...
Video

and Shinncast..

Sonnyrider

Mike B wrote: and Shinncast..

Having had the Turbo for demo I agree completely with Marks description of the Turbo

It's a really nice board, with a good low end drive that feels really soft on the carve. It motors upwind and feels really good in the chop, on the wave and in the smooth flat spots in between

A really, really nice board

A fine successor to the Dundee :-)
Sonnyrider

Should have said, I demoed the board (132x42) at Exmouth seafront, in the chop and outback with the waist to chest high waves over Dawlish warren side
Wind was 14 - 28mph on a 12m

Plus my local, wind was 13 - 22 on my 14m which is another choppy erratic spot (not as choppy as Exmouth tho')
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

mmmm...
I need a session like that.. looks lovely. I have to say the smooth nature of the Speedball comes through very well in the vid and the riding.
The W20 this year is quite a machine for light winds, but still carves, holds power and feels like a normal board.

John.B

I tried the Turbo and the Speedball earlier this year and Mark’s descriptions in the marketing of them is spot-on and to sum up what I’ve said in other posts/threads: -

The Turbo I tried fully powered on a 5m (in warmer climes) – there were other boards to test and the Turbo was the one I went back to in the conditions as it was the most composed. It just never feels as if it will bite you and there was some pretty high frequency chop, jarring on other boards but the Turbo just smoothed it out – it was the easiest to pull the trigger on with confidence and I got some pretty epic jumps on it. It really just does what you tell it to – poised and ready for action and unlike the Monk doesn’t goad you or make you think you are pathetic for not going faster!

I owned a Mk1 W16 Speedball – got it to ride in waves thinking the Ultrasonic might not be the best option (I was wrong). It really is a bit ‘out the box’ and defies being pigeon-holed and makes a great all-rounder. The standout above the other boards is the ability to almost hover over crap water and not catch or sink which is great in mushy or even proper waves – the width makes it ride like a much bigger board but it actually feels tiny. This means you just have fun on it – it is like a skateboard and the water becomes the park and in the air you can really tweak it out with grabs as the shape really lends itself to this. This ‘chuck-ability’ on the W16 is even more pronounced this year - the best thing to do it just ride it without any preconceptions and have fun!

The W20 I took out in some very marginal winds on a 12m. At 78kg it got me going and let me build enough upwind to try tricks on it – backroll kiteloops, s-bends (yes it does unhook) and you do go for it feels more reactive than a dedicated light wind board. However, you can feel the width on the landings when it becomes more apparent and in big chop you can feel that width push back at you. For these reasons and at my weight it is possibly not a dedicated light wind option – maybe in flatter water than in Medano (I’d put smaller fins on it as well). It really is a ‘small board’ for the bigger guys who should no longer feel they need something the length of a tanker and give a more responsive ride – it will normalise things and will let you know how us ‘normal sized’ people feel on normal sized boards ;-)