spitfire 16m re-launch

Kite questions, info, feedback and tech discussion.
jonnie bravo

spitfire 16m re-launch

Post by jonnie bravo »

hearing nothing but good things about this kite no doubt all true my only concern is what are they like to get out of the water after dumping it? feel i need to get something that relaunches easy to give confidence to try new stuff. thinking about the 16m . seen plenty of mid-aspect kites flow/strike etc more or less launch themselves was wanting to keep away from 5th line any views guys thanks jonnie............. ps already on a caution board and it rocks.......

mr:w

Post by mr:w »

Got an 04 Caution 16m last week - used it twice so far for a total of 9 hours, dropped it 3 times and on each occasion it's up again within seconds. This has been in pretty light (14mph) winds as well.

Used to have a Storm2 16m that was a :evil: to relaunch, but the Caution rocks.

bradders

Post by bradders »

relaunch is a piece of p*ss, great kite

turd

Post by turd »

now then jonny, they need to be easy to relaunch as when the wind lulls the cautions fall backwards and fold in half, before either hitting the water or powering up and spanking you

bradders

Post by bradders »

Controversial !! 04 dont do that, your talking about 05.
Anything must feel good after using those V4's !!

turd

Post by turd »

when have you used a V4?

Rossall
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Rossall »

Turd, backwards ???? news to me and I;ve had a quiver of 04's and 05's Spitfires for some time and never seen that. They are really nothing like a V4, nothing like V4 at all. How many times have you flown one Turd, thought your bro wouldn't let you on em.

Jonny, the relaunch is fine there two ways of doing this without the 5th line crap. Basically if you drop the kite down wind use the traditional pull and roll over, the spiti does this very well. But if the kite is over to the side of the window as it often is after a crash and burn just pull on the starboard side leader line and she will pop up on her side and relaunch so piss easy.

kev ob

Post by kev ob »

Rossall wrote:just pull on the starboard side leader line and she will pop up on her side and relaunch so piss easy.

is that if the kite has fallen to your left?

i have re-launched my 12 a few times by pulling the rear line of the side i want to come off the water last

i.e if it has fallen to my left i would pull on my left rear line until the other side lifts out of the water into a C then pull both fronts and steer off the water

is it easier pulling a front line as opposed to a rear line?

ali
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Post by ali »

if its at the edge of window just yank on the line that looks like it needs yanking.
and it normally takes off more me 8)

if i need to deep water relaunch i just wait for the kite to b dead downwind of me.(dont b impacient or it duesnt work) then i just unhook and let the kite onto the suicide leash and its rolls on it back.then just pull bar in and yank on one side.

turd

Post by turd »

no they're nothing like a V4, that wasn't my point. After all i've found V4's are not that good for jumping, whereas the spitfires have good upward lift. I'm not biased to one kind of kite I used to fly V4's because my brother got me the best deal on them, I would of happily been using north or slingshot if a) they were as cheap, and b) if the north importer hadn't chosen to stop supplying kitebits. At the moment I am using 2002 airush lifts

i flew the 10m spitfire in x-offshore wind about 20-30mph, when out at sea in the clean wind it was as steady as any other kite i've flown and felt nice and grunty and jumps were high and smooth. the problems occured near the beach where the wind was lulling .... granted; any kite would fall backwards in a lull but this is the first time I've ever experienced a kite folding up mid-air, and on the east coast we get pretty gusty conditions.

i would happily buy a caution if a) i could get them at the same price as other brands and b) if I lived on the west coast where the prevailing winds are onshore and not full of holes ... maybe it was just the way i was flying it or maybe I'm just too used to flying one kind of kite but that was how it flew on the day with the bar in my hands, I apologise if I've rained on anyone's parade as you only have to look at how many people are using cautions in blackpool to see how popular they are there

Rossall
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Rossall »

ya no worries matey, sounds like a under deflated LE to me, next time your down at SS give me ali or punk a shout for a demo, the o5's are a nice progression, probably a bit for lifty, my main HC man Dimitri is raving about the new Airush Reator stateside as well.

davo
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Post by davo »

Im riding cautions down at Cleethorpes and sail them in the worst gusty west winds that most people wont go out in. one of the best features iv found is that they take the gust really well after sailing Takoons for the last 3 years.
Its true in really light winds the tips will fold but usually its not enough to have fun anyway but if it does go down even the 20m launches with ease.