Experience with Ion3?

Kite questions, info, feedback and tech discussion.
crazyg74

Experience with Ion3?

Post by crazyg74 »

Hi everone!

I'm new here (and to the sport). I've done a course which has me up and riding and I'm now looking at taking another couple of lessons and kitting up - quite exciting for me!
I've found some amazing deals on Flexifoil Ion3 at the moment and wonder what opinion you have on them.
I'm a big guy: 6'5" & 95kg and I'm thinking of a 10.5 & 14.5 to cover the wind range I'm likey to be out in.
I've been reading around on other forums and the Ion3 in the larger sizes gets very mixed reviews. It has been referred to as both a 'peach' and a 'pig dog' of a kite.
So, if any of you have experience with the 14.5 Ion3 in particular, I'd be stoked to have you're unbiased opinion!

cheers,

Gerry

jay.mac

Re: Experience with Ion3?

Post by jay.mac »

I have heard the Ion3s aren't great for heavier riders or boosting big as the Leading edge folds in then pops back? The 14.5m IMO is a good light wind kite for lighter riders as it is pritty quick for a big kite in low winds. Would say your better with the Ion2s or the ion4s. But what do I know :?

Spyke

Post by Spyke »

jay.mac wrote:I have heard the Ion3s aren't great for heavier riders or boosting big as the Leading edge folds in then pops back?

No it doesnt and my biggest jumps have come on my ion3's the 12.5 is the biggest boosting kite of that size i have flown and the 7m is just awesome, with some really good float (for a 7m) to match it. They pull well through big loops too :P.

The 14.5 is still a good kite it just needs trimming and settign up right, its not got a massive wind range but not many big kites do. Ion3's are definatly better in smaller sizes, but are still good in the bigger sizes.

I was on Ion2's previously and have been on Ion3's for a year now, owning the 7,10.5,12.5 and 14.5m so have had some experience with them.

Zarmple

Post by Zarmple »

jay.mac wrote:I have heard the Ion3s aren't great for heavier riders or boosting big as the Leading edge folds in then pops back?

where did you hear this? Would be interesting to hear more about it.
Although I cant say i have had this problem at all..

crazyg74

Post by crazyg74 »

Thanks for the input so far guys!

My main concern is performance in light wind. I am a relative newbie and will be riding a large twintip (140-144) for some time yet and I'd like to be able to have the power and controllability to ride and stay upwind in wind down to 10 knots or so - Is this realistic?

Oh, and:
crazyg74 wrote:I have heard the Ion3s aren't great for heavier riders or boosting big as the Leading edge folds in then pops back?

I believe the leading edge was thinned down for the Ion3 which could certainly have some effect on this. I've not read about it anywhere else but it seems that the remedy for other kites with this symptom is to inflate to a higher pressure - within reason of course.

Spyke

Post by Spyke »

I have been flying them for a year, and fly with a good few other kiters who fly them, they are all learning to jump and im unhooking and kitelooping, i have never seen this leading edge problem so tbh i think its bull :P notice how he says "i have heard" not "i saw" :wink:

Its people like that who just pass on rubbish that they have heard that give kites a bad name....if you've not flown one then dont voice an opinion...

Spyke

Post by Spyke »

crazyg74 wrote: I'd like to be able to have the power and controllability to ride and stay upwind in wind down to 10 knots or so - Is this realistic?

No not really, kitesurfing just isnt fun in low winds, you are just fighting to stay upwind the whole time and you dont learn anything, There are very fw kites that you can have fun on in these kinds of winds, a big delta maybe, but then you'd have to be flying a delta.. :lol:. Either that or splash out 000's on a flysurfer silver arrow, but then not many of us have £2k to spend on a kite that isnt going to get masses of use!

crazyg74

Post by crazyg74 »

Thanks for your input Spyke!
Unbiased comments from someone with experience of these kites is what I was hoping for. Endless magazine reviews and hearsay amount to very little at the end of the day.
Anyway, based on my research and conversations I've gone ahead and bought my quiver of Ion3's!
Thanks again guys.

jay.mac

Post by jay.mac »

Spyke wrote:I have been flying them for a year, and fly with a good few other kiters who fly them, they are all learning to jump and im unhooking and kitelooping, i have never seen this leading edge problem so tbh i think its bull :P notice how he says "i have heard" not "i saw" :wink:

Its people like that who just pass on rubbish that they have heard that give kites a bad name....if you've not flown one then dont voice an opinion...

No need to be so defensive. I said 'i have heard' because it was exactly that. Without knowing you, i can say with convedence, I was told this by someone who has a far greater awareness of kites especilly flexi kites, than you. I have no intrest in giving these kites a bad name.

jay.mac

Post by jay.mac »

I believe the problem is the distance between the back lines and the rear attachment point of the bridle is to large.(This is also why they have near perfect bar pressure). The leading edge doesn't fold in the middle but at the ends. Its only a problem if your crazy powered or a heavy rider.

Spyke

Post by Spyke »

jay.mac wrote: No need to be so defensive. I said 'i have heard' because it was exactly that. Without knowing you, i can say with convedence, I was told this by someone who has a far greater awareness of kites especilly flexi kites, than you. I have no intrest in giving these kites a bad name.

It wasnt being defensive it was being realistic, your still commenting on something that you have never seen and, im guessing, have never flown the kites? I was sponsored by them for a year so have a fair amount of experience on then, having half a season on the Ion2's then almost a full season on the ion3's getting out whenever its windy :wink:

jay.mac

Post by jay.mac »

I was sponsored by them for a year so have a fair amount of experience on then, having half a season on the Ion2's then almost a full season on the ion3's getting out whenever its windy :wink:[/quote]

Like i said, i was told this by someone who have a far greater knowlegde of Ion2, Ion3 and kites in general than you! :-D

Hobbsurf
Location: Cleethorpes - Nothing but oil spills, sharks and it's a Pikey Beach in the summer. Try Skeg!

Post by Hobbsurf »

Hi Gary

Asking for advice on here can be a bit hit and miss. Straight away the Chinese Whispers kick in and you may as well go and ask that bloke down the pub. :shock:

Looks like you got it sorted in the end with advice from someone who has ridden the gear enough to know what they are talking about.................first hand.

The bottom line is always however - fly before you buy.

Good luck and don't take everything you hear on here as the right advice (apart from this!!!!!)

Cheers

Russ

thetrash

Post by thetrash »

If you want a lightwind kite just dont buy a Flexifoil, they make them too heavy which results in them needing lots of wind to make them work well if you are a heavier rider. I brought one just for a lighter wind kite for a trip to coche last year. I sold it as soon as I got back as I was so unimpressed with its bottom end.

paulhudson

Post by paulhudson »

Hello Gerry I like you am a 90-95 kg depending on which coat I’m wearing, summer or winter.

I am a Joe blogs rider that enjoys blasting around.

I think you will be disappointed with a 14.5 and 10.5 set up.

You will get really excited on the early mid 20mph days to start with. However with this set up you are going to find your 14.5m fully tooled up and the 10.5m underpowered. The 14.5m will have slow turning speeds poor upwind performance and small optimal wind range (mid to upper teens). The 10.5 will be great but for a man of your size needs 25mph to really start feeling nice.

I would forget about going out in 12-15mph days. Go fishing, read a book or lot at the sky instead. Any of these will be far more exciting.

Go for a 13m/12.5m and a 9m set up. This will give you fantastic performance in the winds you’re going to get excited about, early mid 20s. It will also allow you to have great fun in the mid to high teens Mph range and give you the option of going out in the stronger winds and not feeling fully powered up until it starts to blow low to mid 30s. Thus you will have a kite to progress with.

I started out on 14m and 10 co2s. Lovely bits of kit but on those perfect low 20mph days the 14m was far to much and the 10 not really enough.

Also the width of your board will be really important to you, more so than the length. For a fella of your size make sure you have 40cm at least.

Hope this helps.

Have fun

Paul