Caution Spitfire 20m vs Cabrinha Contra 19.5m

Kite questions, info, feedback and tech discussion.
Vim

Caution Spitfire 20m vs Cabrinha Contra 19.5m

Post by Vim »

Am looking for any opinions on these kites as they are options for buying a low wind kite.

Have flown and was totally impressed by Fred's 19.5m Contra so I know that, but does anybody know anything about the 20m Spitfire?

Cheers,
Nick.

david_hazell

Post by david_hazell »

Trust me, they are all too damn heavy to work in super light winds. Speaking from flying a 21m pig lizard nemmy which can't really get going in less than 8 knots.

Get a 10.5 blade III and get out in 3 knots - that is what I really call light wind performance...

david_hazell

Post by david_hazell »

Just don't crash it.

Rossall
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Rossall »

SSPUNK Tony has a 20 mtr Spiti and seems to get up and going bloody quick with his slender build....NOT. Very tried it myself as it looks HUGE and scarry but we is going big on it when we are all sat on the beach watching :shock: also it seems to turn pretty quick for such a large kite. Drop him a PM for more info.

Vim

Post by Vim »

Cheers for the response Michael (Flatley :wink:) but am not interested in a foil being an inflatable kinda guy...

Just interested in any opinions on the Spitfire...?

JV Uberkuppler

Post by JV Uberkuppler »

Vim wait to the spring when ALL the light wind kitesare out gearing up for the Summer months.

I really don't like big kites. My largest is a 15m. An from what I remember your not that much bigger than I. give or take a stone or 3.

I have yet to see a kite over 18m that has impressed me. even with a larger rider using it.

I prefer to work me kite

Is there any point in spending all that cash at the moment. New offerings from your old favourite Takoon and Slingshot also will be around.

If you are going to go for a big kite make sure its a lightwind specific design such as Contra, Mamooth, (SS Machine is a bit vague at the mo)

now have you got a 7m?

Vim

Post by Vim »

Rossall wrote:SSPUNK Tony has a 20 mtr Spiti and seems to get up and going bloody quick with his slender build....NOT.

Cheers! Is the self same Tony from this forum?

JV Superkuppler wrote:Is there any point in spending all that cash at the moment.

Yeah there is JV. Two reasons, going to Thailand and light winds there at the moment and really want to Kitesurf whilst I'm out there. Plus I remember last Winter there were more than a few days that were light winds. Light winds aren't only for the Summer...

JV Uberkuppler

Post by JV Uberkuppler »

Fair cop!

Its 25knots over here at the mo! Shame its off shore. :lol:

30 at Whitford and probably sweet but too far for lunchtime

David
Site Admin

Post by David »

OK, not got a lot of time here so heres the quick reply!

I've had the 20mtr Caution since May this year, not used it a huge amount as my 14 seems to get most abuse.
I weigh about 14 big ones( :wink: ) and ride a Redline 142 and like Rossal says it does get me going early for my size, I don't carry a wind meter, so I can't give you exact speeds etc!
The kite itself flys good for a big 'un, t pulls like a train, I've only ever flown it on the outside toggles (fast setting) but I reckon it'll be a lot more "gruntier" flown on the inside settings! It turns well for a big kite and jumps well, with the trip back down being so slooooooow, almost parachute like.
One other point worthy of mention is its wind ange, the next kite size down I have is 14mtr and they both work together, I've had the 20 out on days when I would have been riding and jumping on my 14! You just got to bear in mind,it ain't going to depower like a 14 and can make for a hairy ride should you pick up a lot of speed in surf!

I have not flown another kite of this size so can't draw any comparisons, best bet is to catch up with either myself or the Airjam crew and arrange to have a burn on one

Hope that helps, going to the beach now!

Tony

Vim

Post by Vim »

Tony wrote:OK, not got a lot of time here

Tony wrote:going to the beach now!

and there's me thinking that you didn't have a lot of time because you were busy at work :lol:

Cheers Tony, appreciate the info and time.

Sean (AJ)
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Sean (AJ) »

Vim, I have a few left and can send you one to try if you like. No presha... I'll take it back if its not for you.

I know for sure there ain't much between the 16 Spitfires and the 16.5 Contra for low end and I doubt there's much in it for the big ones either... other than you could buy 2 Spitfires for the same $ at the moment.

It is fast (Toby and Matt kite loop 'em on 19" bars) , it does also fly very well off the front lines so gets you upwind well and de-powers fine for a 20m. You can also rig a 5th line onto the pump leash attchment if needs be though its not that hectic to re-launch anyway. There are big fellas that swear by it down here.

Like any 20m, you just have to watch out if the wind is picking up as you will get overpowered much quicker than smaller kites.

Sean (AJ)
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Sean (AJ) »

oops forgot... final clearance here... http://www.justblowme.co.uk

JV.. Love Slingshot but 15 is as big as i would go on Fuels too.

Fred

Post by Fred »

Yeah, but those flames on the Spitifire. :| It looks like some 50's hot rod or something. I suppose it will go with the heavy metal album cover theme of the snake on your Takoon. :wink:

You know the Contra is the one...

davo
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Post by davo »

iv just picked up a 20 & 14m spitfirefrom air jam on trial this weekend.

The 20 is on of the best large kites iv flown in 10mph i was going up wind against a strong rip and getting some nice floaty jumps for board offs and some clean unhooked kiteloops.Im the wrong side of 14 stone and this kite rocks in light winds.

Iv just had the 14 out today in winds gusting from 12 - 26 mph and in these conditions it to rocks. Its super stable through the gusts and still keeps going through the lulls with it been nice and fast but as soon as your up and running it just pulls like a train without been heavy on the bar.
it boost well and floats back down. maybe not as high as my now old Takoon scoop 3s but with far more control you can learn more tricks
quicker.

This may sound like im there new pimp but its well worth taking Sean up on is offer of a free trail like i did and now im skint again... :-)

ali
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Post by ali »

nuff said

people are scared to try cautions because they will get addicted and have to buy a quiver :wink: