Caution Spitfire 20m vs Cabrinha Contra 19.5m

Kite questions, info, feedback and tech discussion.
Vim

Post by Vim »

Right then. Sean (AJ) Am about to PM you....

Thanks everyone for the posts and info, bought my last kite from Airjam and top quality customer service.

Nick.

Vim

Post by Vim »

AJ,

One Caution Spitfire 20m is sat by my desk. Thanks for the trial.

Can't wait for those bathtub temperature waters, clear sunny skies and uncrowded beaches and constant 20m winds... :-D 8) :-D

Big up Airjam! :-D

Nick.

Kidkernow

20 M Spitfire

Post by Kidkernow »

Had my first session on my 20M (04) Sptifire the other day - gusty conditions of 7 - 13 mph - first impressions: pulled like there was no tomorrow, and yet I was suprised how easy it was to hold onto in the gusts.

Great kite!

davo
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Post by davo »

Dont worry about the top end just slack off the back lines and if your balls
are big enough you'll be getting the more hang time you could dream of.
Im 14+ stone and have had my 20 out in over 20mph so long as its not to gusty/choppy.

This kite rocks!!!!!!

Fred

Post by Fred »

In case anyone is wondering about the upper wind range on these kites...

I was out flying my Contra 19.5 at Minster yesterday. Having a great time in suitable winds (averaging about 11 knots or so). Towards the end of my session I had a bit of an over-powered drag-my-ass-in-the-water moment. Nothing too scary but I was pretty tired and hungry so I decided that might be a good time to stop just in case things were about to really pick up.

Anyway, got home and checked the day's conditions on the IOSSC webcam. That little blip had been 24.5 knots! :shock: As I'm not that good a kiter, on a largish board (Slingshot SX139) and can sometimes be a bit of a wimp power-wise, that adds up to a pretty good upper wind range.

What a great kite.

RichT

Post by RichT »

Have to say I was mighty impressed with Fred's contra yesterday. Was a bit low on power on my 18m at times so took out the contra - it rocks. Real easy to fly. very impressed.

Vim

Post by Vim »

Just so damned expensive...

RichT

Post by RichT »

Unfortunately yes, I'll be sticking with my 18m Globerider, which I like too. Besides, when the wind is so light that I can't get out on the 18 with a big board I reckon it's time to take the boat out and go wakeboarding!

REDLINE

Post by REDLINE »

Anybody flying the 20m Spitfire II ??

What`s the verdict..

JV Uberkuppler

Post by JV Uberkuppler »

I have the demo 17.5 Machine from Slingshot and its one hell of a lightwind kite

Will take it out tomorrow to really test its lowend out.

But its all good so far.

Vim

Post by Vim »

Having started this thread I should probably follow up on it.

In the end, as I've said further up, Sean@Airjam leant me a 20m Spitfire for the holiday, back in November. It was windier than I expected so it wasn't used as much as I thought I would. But I got it out twice, I think, and have used it since too. Finally ended up paying Airjam about 2 weeks ago with no hassle to do so from Sean at all - as has been said before, top shop, amazing customer service.

As for the Kite, it's really solidly made and is a beast. I wasn't sure whether it would really compare with the 19.5 Contra, what with the Contra having Prospan (or whatever) and the Spitfire being so well made, I thought there would be extra weight.

Went to Hayling a few months ago when the winds were so light we weren't sure if we'd get out. But as we arrived one guy was out, and struggling with a big kite.

Fred stuck up his Contra and I the Spitfire, so a true kite-off between the Kites I was interested in. In the end I don't think there was a massive difference in it. Wind was truly light at first, with possibly on 3 people up and going on the water, Fred and I being 2 of them. We both seemed to be doing similarly well and as the day went on the wind picked up. I had a hairy moment when I couldn't get the depower strap to budge, but after landing and yanking it for a few minutes (the depower strap that is), it released and moved freely, so I went back out. Fred and I continued for a similar amount of time with winds picking up, before coming in and changing down, not sure who was first in, but it was a close call and by the time I did, it was getting edgey and definitely 14m weather, so that shows the depower, as pretty much most others were out on 14/16m. I seem to remember coming in wishing for someone to see me and land me quickly...

So Spitfire vs Contra? Both great kites for sure. Maybe the Contra has slightly more depower, but it also has a much higher price. The Spitty is really well made which Caution are known for. The 2004 QR on the Spitfire is a little 2003 so I may change that and obviously the Contra has the benefit of Recon.

But I've got the Spitfire and it's chuffin' great. :lol: