Bandit 3 9m demo feedback

Kite questions, info, feedback and tech discussion.
John.B

Bandit 3 9m demo feedback

Post by John.B »

First thing I noticed about this Bandit 3 (B3) when I got it out of the bag, which is a quality, good sized affair with a pocket for the bar, was the striking sky blue and silver colours - nice. I have flown and seen a few Delta ’inspired’ kites recently, but upon pumping the B3 I really noticed the Delta C Shape of it more so than any of the other kites. Also it is not too ‘fat’ in the middle, which I think technically makes it higher aspect than the previous more corpulent versions, but with the meaty leading edge and struts it was overall solid. The build quality of the kite was simply top notch, with an excellent one-pump system and great attention to detail everywhere and the bridle is not too long at all now.

Next came the bar, which if I’m honest I thought I was going to hate as I had written it off due to the use of a Velcro quick release. I understand it is some crazy French thing and I still don’t like the idea of the release, but I can’t fault the bar as it is very clean with an amazingly short depower throw. The frontline safety goes through the bar and you attach to it under/in the chicken loop setup and it works very well so that even if you fumble the bar unhooked it is easy to recover. For unhooking the chicken loop is large and keeps its shape and there is an insert that orientates and locks it to the bar making it a cinch to hook back in.

So I’m out at Troon and the wind is forecast to be 13 knots and it is with occasional gust hitting 17 knots so being 80kgs I’m thinking I’ll just put this up and have a fly on the beach and maybe get one of the local kids to have a go. So up it goes and I give it a bit of a steer around and..... actually I might just get going so I grab my board and head for the water. The kite has pull and when you dive it you feel the power; however it is not a grunty park and ride power and I have read this is where it differs from previous versiona and as I have never flown these I can’t compare. However, it has power, but it is deceptive and it is not until you get planning and a little bit of speed in the kite that you really feel it as it likes to sit forward of you.

At this point I could ‘mow’ and keep ground in these winds, but that’s not what demoing a kite is about so pop-backroll and a pull of the back hand and WHOOMP! The kite has some nice power in the loop. It is quick to, but not a twitchy fast as it takes a little input (the bar is small on the 9m) but when it does move it gets a shift on and can catch you easily. It is also very stable and I would describe the bar pressure as positive being not light or heavy, but if they say last years was heavier then I would not have liked it as anything more would be too much. However, this does mean you get good feedback when the kite is unhooked and it does this with ease and behaves very well letting you pop and trick away. The wind did pick up at points and when it was there jumping the B3 is great fun with good lift and float and excellent feedabck when in the air.

Overall I was impressed with the B3 and cannot fault it, especially so in the marginal winds that the day presented. I spent a good few hours on it and had a blast and can see it being an all-round excellent kite for a lot of riders looking to up-skill and push it a little without compromising ease of use – me I want to push it a lot this year so the search for the Grail continues. Thanks to the ever amiable Dave at www.kite-kit.co.uk for sending me the demo. :-D

Laters

John

G-Bru

Re: Bandit 3 9m demo feedback

Post by G-Bru »

Nice review John, perhaps it's time for a big boys kite then.... 2010 FUEL????

G

John.B

Post by John.B »

G-Bru wrote:Nice review John, perhaps it's time for a big boys kite then.... 2010 FUEL????

G

I'm looking for versatility :wink: I have flown the 09 and not my cuppa.... seen one guy trying to relaunch his in the waves in El Medano bay and even though it might be *okay* for a 4 line C it was not my idea of fun.

I know I want it all, but need to see what is out there and the B3 was good and I liked it, but I just never loved it for some reason?

andrewj12321

Post by andrewj12321 »

G-Bru wrote:Nice review John, perhaps it's time for a big boys kite then.... 2010 FUEL????

G

i agree john u should have a go of my 11m fuel. far better than the 09.

waverider

Post by waverider »

s29feb wrote:The kite has pull and when you dive it you feel the power; however it is not a grunty park and ride power and I have read this is where it differs from previous versiona and as I have never flown these I can’t compare. However, it has power, but it is deceptive and it is not until you get planning and a little bit of speed in the kite that you really feel it as it likes to sit forward of you.

Nice-informative review John, extra-nice that this all sounds very familiar and I've only flown the first Bandit very briefly. That sat well-forward so-much-so that quite a few riders just didn't get the idea.

pen-dragon

Post by pen-dragon »

Nice review,
I've got the 11m B3 (this is the smallest size that comes on the bigger bar) it's still quick arround the window and loops a treat - hell you can't help but charge up wind on the bugger!
Nath.