north kite with cabrinha bar

Kite questions, info, feedback and tech discussion.
kiteatnite

Post by kiteatnite »

hello everyone,
i am a beginner in kitesurfing and have just bought a north toro 12 m from 2004. now i would like
to know if i can mix this kite with a bar of cabrinha co2 9m? or can i mix the kite with any other brand?
thanks!

Roland

Re: north kite with cabrinha bar

Post by Roland »

Why on earth did you buy a 2004 North Toro .... :shock:

kiteatnite

Post by kiteatnite »

are there any problems with this kite? can you give me some tips? can i mix it with other brands? to be honest, the price was pretty good.

G-Bru

Post by G-Bru »

Dude, seriously? You have already stated that you are a beginner. When learning you most definitely want a kite with good de-power, wind range and safety system. Unfortunately older kites do not posses any of these qualities, especially when coupled to a bar that is not specifically designed for this kite!
A good instructor would have advised you on this?

I suggest you save a little more money for a 2010 and later kite/bar combination. Newer kites have excellent safety systems, good wind range and de-power. I have no experience of the Toro, but it may very well need a specific line length on the bar for it to fly properly.

G

iPhone & Tapatalk

Dragnfly

Post by Dragnfly »

I hope you didnt pay more than about £20.00 for it matey.

As for mixing it up - no idea. sorry.

Fred

Post by Fred »

I agree with all the comments above, but thought I'd add something a bit more helpful as I used to fly CO2s a long time ago...

The bar should work OK if the line lengths are right. However, if you activate the Recon safety system that was on the CO2s from 2004 onwards then this won't depower your kite - it will probably make it unflyable and dangerous.

I'd suggest you get someone who knows their way around a kite to check it all out for you and ensure you have a working safety system. And the first time you fly it make sure it's in light winds and you're prepared for it all to go horribly wrong.

highalpha_pass

Post by highalpha_pass »

Have a look here http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2329998 for the Toro 2004 manual and have a look at the Scepter bar manual. Though I can't see a 12m Toro listed - it's an 11m, so maybe your's is a 2005 kite ?

It's a 4 line bar with the safety attached to one FRONT line. A so-called re-ride system that I personally found never worked. It nearly always ended in a tangle and a swim to shore.

Has this bar been used by yourself already on a 9m kite ? Is it set up correctly ? If it's a RECON bar then it won't work as that was a totally Cabrinha design. The kites have relaunch bungees in the tips from what I remember of it and it was a unique type of safety setup. No no no.

I also think the 12m bars at that time were a bit wider than for a 9m. Might make it a bit harder to turn ? Unlike the ones today where you can adjust the lengths.

Just don't get a modern SLE type 4 line bar where the safety attaches to the two front lines via a mini-5th line. That won't work at all. Front line flag out is what you need. If you don't understand any of these terms or how to land and launch it - please go and have a lesson with a pro, with your kite(s), they will be able to give you correct advice.

aquilone
Antispam: No

Post by aquilone »

mmm.. sounds like a troll - smells like a troll... It is a troll
don't feed the trolls

rakeem15

Post by rakeem15 »

aquilone wrote:mmm.. sounds like a troll - smells like a troll... It is a troll
don't feed the trolls

spoken like a true troll