which kite to learn megaloops?

Kite questions, info, feedback and tech discussion.
tadaska
Antispam: No

Hi guys,

I've been doing some jumping on my kites and feel like it's time to start learning the steps towards megalooping - more jumps, on-water loops, etc. until I feel I can go for a megaloop.

But I want to know which kite is best for it. I've been flying and doing some jumps on my Airush VXR 13m and 10m for a while know. But they are racing kites and I don't think that's good for megaloops. I also have an Airush Wave 9m and VX 8m but not been on them for a while as it's never windy enough when I'm out. So I'm thinking I should get a 10m kite that's good for megaloops (I think I'm like 80kg) and start learning whenever I can. But could you name a few that are good for this?

Cheers
nickfox

There are 3 kinds of kite loop in my opinion.

1. bog standard kiteloop: this is where you loop the kite above your head. You can do this without leaving the water and it doesn't generate much power. You can do a small jump and as you come back down pull the bar hard and you will loop the kite as you land. You can also loop the kite while riding along to generate more power, this is useful in light winds if you are struggling to find power.

2. Powerloop. This is where you jump and loop the kite at around 45degrees. It will generate more power and you will land heading downwind with some speed.

3. Megaloop: This is where you execute the loop on the jump ascent and attempt to get the lines horizontal (or lower) with your kite. With the kite going through the power zone combined with your vertical momentum you will head downwind very fast. With the kite so low you need a decent amount of height/time for the kite to rise back up to support your landing, otherwise you will come back to earth hard.

Some of the most powerful kiteloops are done on C kites where maximum power is compressed to a short time during the loop. This is a feature of C kites that is particularly useful for freestyle where slack in the lines allows you to perform your tricks while the kite drifts back without stalling.

However, some of the highest and most impressive megaloops are done on hybrid style kites that have more depower. If you watch the 2016/17 Redbull King of the Air competitions you'll see that the biggest megaloops were done on North Vegas and similar style kites. This is because they are able to jump higher than pure freestyle kites like the Airush Razor, which gives more time to execute the loop and get the kite back into a safe position to land.

You may also note that Oswald Smith landed the competition’s Mystic Best Move this year. He was throwing down some crazy powerful megaloops but he was riding the Airush Razor and clearly couldn't get the height of the other riders, He constantly crashed out in his tricks and eventually left the competition with an injury (his knee I think).

I personally ride Airush razors but I would recommend something with more depower for both learning and pro level kiteloops.
JGTR

Forget mega loops, if you are only just starting to loop the kite then you are a long way off. Once you have kitelooping dialled in then it will be a natural progression to mega loops. You can learn to kiteloop on any kite, start with kiteloops and down loops on the water, then start adding loops at the end of jumps and progressively go higher and start throwing the loops earlier. Don't forget to avoid over sheeting as this can stall the kite and stop it from going to the top of the window to catch you.
tadaska

Thanks for the replies guys, some good info that is normally missing from videos about kitelooping.