Jumping

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
SlingshotFuel
Antispam: No

Jumping

Post by SlingshotFuel »

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding jumping.

1) When throwing the kite back to initiate the jump should I sheet in fully while the kite travels back or just when it reaches the top. Currently I sheet in fully when throwing the kite back but sometimes get pulled up before it is at 12 oclock for take off.

2) For load and pop does it help to have a very stiff board? I am currently using a crazy fly allrounder and it is pretty felxible.

Thanks alot,

Chris

Nitrokid

Re: Jumping

Post by Nitrokid »

SlingshotFuel wrote:Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding jumping.

1) When throwing the kite back to initiate the jump should I sheet in fully while the kite travels back or just when it reaches the top. Currently I sheet in fully when throwing the kite back but sometimes get pulled up before it is at 12 oclock for take off.

2) For load and pop does it help to have a very stiff board? I am currently using a crazy fly allrounder and it is pretty felxible.

Thanks alot,

Chris

1) depends on how windy it is and how powered up you are. If your getting pulled up before you want to either load more into the board, or don't pull the bar in as much. Within reason you want to send the kite with as much power as possible the whole time.

2)personal preference. i personally hate stiff boards. some people swear by them.

robclaisse

Re: Jumping

Post by robclaisse »

1) Unless the wind is pretty light, then you'll probably want to be slowing starting to sheet the kite in as you sent it towards 12, but sheet in fully just as you are about to be pulled off the water. Sometimes you may even sheet out a little as the kite moves up to 12, to stay in control, but the important part is sheeting in fully as you leave the water & staying sheeted in! I quickly put together a couple of shots which hopefully show this pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tsSjtpdSLg

2) Board preference is pretty personal, and the stiffness of the board is just one aspect to consider along side the conditions you are riding in. An experienced rider on flat water with a stiff board will probably jump the highest, but the experience, water conditions and board characteristics all work together. A more flexible board will be comfortable in choppy conditions or waves and may have some effect on your jumping ability as the flex will suck some of the power out of your pop BUT generally for most people there is probably more things they can do to improve there technique, to get bigger jumps, rather than worrying about whether there board is holding them back.

Hope some of that helps...

Laters

Rob
Fat Sand Productions
http://www.progression.me