Launching alone

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
andy2
Antispam: No

Hi,
Anyone got any tips or can tell me how to launch alone?
It doesnt happen very offen but on the odd chance im the first to the beach or everyone is already out and there is no one to launch me I would like to know how others get around this problem!
Ive seen ways of folding over the tip etc but that doesnt seem to safe to me, any other ways of doing it?

Cheers
ronnie

I do it like this, except instead of the rock as an anchor, I use a big strong bag and fill it with sand until I cant lift the bag.

http://www.dlightcanarias.net/crossbowl ... launch.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
phil5556

This used to work really well with my Takoon Novas, and for landing aswell.

I tried it using my van towbar with my Vertigo and it just wouldn't sit still for me to want to let go of it and run back to the bar (this was in very sketchy wind though). I'll have to give it another go sometime.
waverider

phil5556 wrote:This used to work really well with my Takoon Novas, and for landing aswell.
I use a bag of sand when I'm using bars that release to two front lines. Launching an SLE by yourself is easy but you need someone to show you, difficult on the forum though someone did produce a video. Landing depends on if you use a single front line release or two fronts. With two fronts you need the bag or a rock, with single front you need to make sure the release line is high-side and again it's best to have someone show you though that video was quite good.

Even though I'm using a bar with single front release at the moment I'm a keen advocate of bars that release to the two fronts, particularly if you have Oh-shit handles at the end. Some manufacturers have excelled in the safety aspect development of their bars. Sadly, a lot of bars need to catch-up to make things easier and just that bit safer.
JGTR

Yon need to tell us what kite you have - then we can tell you how to launch it, or the best way to launch it :-D

There are quite a few different methods - also need to know what type of beach you kite at mostly - i.e. big/massive open beach, beach with tie off points, grass etc etc as this will also factor into it all :-D
andy2

I ride a slingshot rpm 12m mainly and its a pebble beach with plenty of room to launch but with no tie off points.
JGTR

Bag or bucket, fill it with pebbles, tie the kite to it. Job done - a canvas bag kept in your car would be ideal :-D

You can land it the exact reverse of launching it
hafgodol

My own tuppence worth on this...

Several times now have used a dog tie up stake from (yes really) Pets at Home. Retails for about a fiver.

The top of the stake is shaped in such a way that a standard chicken loop fits snuggly inside an inverted triangle so can't escape.

Set the kite at anything up to 75% depower depending on the wind speed, up end the kite into standard lift off position and it should just sit there happily bouncing a little. It takes a little practice to find a sweet spot at the edge of the window and sometimes the kite will try to move forwards a bit.

Quick trot back to the tethered loop, saftey on first, then hook in - launch normally. Landing is a straight reversal of the above.

Obviously tight packed sand is going to be better for this setup as the stake has a narrow surface area. It can be quite an effort to sink the thing deep enough. I would add that I've not tried this in gusty conditions so can't comment on how different/easy that'd be.

Kite is a 12m Takoon Pure
waverider

I haven't seen the dog tie-up stake but I have used a bag for ages. Great thing about a bag if it's big-enough is it'll hold a kite for launching in 25 knots. I tested an 8 in 25 knots with a bag from Habitat and roughly a cubic foot of wet sand inside though Ikea have some for not a lot of money. Don't use a bag unless the handles are sewn all the way around the outer of the bag. If they're just sewn to the rim they'll let you down.

Get yourself a small coal shovel from a hard-wear shop to stop ruining your nail-varnish filling the bag with your hands. :-D

All the remaining information you need has already been posted but do get someone to buddy-up with you for a few test-runs to get confident, when you park the kite on the edge of the window it does roll a little but usually stays put. Practice until you're happy.

If you do a search you'll find a similar thread with photos and an excellent video on this subject.

Another way to gain confidence for the bag launch and land is to fly your kite to the edge of the window, de-power, unhook and hold the kite by the chicken loop but always remain attached to the safety. This will teach you how much pull the de-powered kite has at the edge of the window.
Dragnfly

Why is everyone going on about piles of sand, bags and stakes? Whats up with just a normal self launch?

Admittedly it may scuff your leading edge, but if you only do it occasionally then its not a massive issue.

Lay your kite (inflated) leading edge into the wind, in the position you usually should put it in - not too much sand on it - just enough to hold it down for a minute or 2.

Lay your lines out downwind of the kite.

Grab your bar (make sure you have it the right way up).

Pull on all your depower (this is just a safety precaution, so you dont get loads of power straight away).

Walk back a few paces to make sure your lines have a small amount of tension.

Keeping a bit of tension in the lines, walk sidewards, so you are going towards the edge of the wind window.

Your kite will slowly start to fill with wind on one side. Keep walking round - it will start to fill up more & eventually flip the sand off it.

The kite will probably start sliding along the floor, leading edge down, towards the middle of the wind window - don't panick.

Pull on the top back line and the kite should start to flip over - same as it does when relaunching from the water. It will eventually launch - and you're off.

That's what I do anyway - and I've never had any accidents yet.
waverider

Dragnfly wrote:Why is everyone going on about piles of sand, bags and stakes? Whats up with just a normal self launch?

Admittedly it may scuff your leading edge,
Quite-right, I mostly self-launch close to the waters edge after filling a bag for landing. Also, it's quite easy to land a kite and park it if you're on a single front-line release. Just make sure the release line is high-side and again, have a buddy around while you practice.

On a windy-gusty day it's best to either use a bag or a helper, even if you're fairly good with a self landing on one line the kite can lift and take-off again before you get to it.

Walking up the lines is what some riders do, I nearly lost two fingers so I'm not going there again, a bag for landing is proven and safe, you should be able to launch without it as pointed out.
Dragnfly

Jeez - I never thought of filling a bag and leaving it at the top of the beach - Doh!! >< Bloody good idea, and very simples - Me likey. Keep up the good work matey.

Problem solved.
evilrobotshane

To dredge up an oldish thread, yesterday I had an immensely frustrating afternoon at Sandbanks in Poole harbour. I was the only one there, not a school or windsurfer or anything about, but if I wait for everything to be perfect I'll be a newbie forever.

I needed to get into the water some distance before launching due to the road by the beach. Launching would be fine, just like relaunching a crashed kite of course, but it's the having to have the lines slack and trailing while carrying the kite out that's the problem - it did entirely its own thing when I let it go to drift downwind, flipping and twisting and generating huge mental tangles. I spent all afternoon untangling and repeating until the kite went a little soft and I gave up.

Is there any solution to this problem, or for this situation is a launching person a definite requirement? (which would suck; yesterday was lovely but nobody was out, so I can't rely on there being others around)
southseasailor

There is a clip somewhere on ytube of a device for that situation. Basically you set the kite up as per normal, setting up lines making sure theres no twists or tangles; the lines are then all wrapped around a plastic cylinder type thing....you get in the water wade out and then let the kite out...lines all pay off as it drifts.

Not sure i'd trust it, there must be some procedure to ensure the kite is depowered, otherwise it could get messy :shock:

Its frustrating when no one else is about, I got used to the self launch thing when I was learning...but I had to, otherwise I would still not be up and riding now:) theres loads of clips on ytube of various ways to launch...but some of them make me wonder :?
ronnie

evilrobotshane wrote:To dredge up an oldish thread, yesterday I had an immensely frustrating afternoon at Sandbanks in Poole harbour. I was the only one there, not a school or windsurfer or anything about, but if I wait for everything to be perfect I'll be a newbie forever.

I needed to get into the water some distance before launching due to the road by the beach. Launching would be fine, just like relaunching a crashed kite of course, but it's the having to have the lines slack and trailing while carrying the kite out that's the problem - it did entirely its own thing when I let it go to drift downwind, flipping and twisting and generating huge mental tangles. I spent all afternoon untangling and repeating until the kite went a little soft and I gave up.

Is there any solution to this problem, or for this situation is a launching person a definite requirement? (which would suck; yesterday was lovely but nobody was out, so I can't rely on there being others around)
This should cover some of the things you did wrong.
It relies on you having clean sand with nothing to snag a line on.
Also walk toward the rear side of the kite after letting it go, as he does in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/whttp://www.yout ... sm9q6V3bIM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;