Going Blind

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
fdvj

I am getting round ok now but get pulled back out after a short run and can't seem to continue.
lucie

Wow, can't believe it's a year since I started this thread, and guess what, I never really got round to learning blind! Can't remember why... think I had a few goes and crashed. Then I forgot how to do front loops and spent the rest of last summer relearning those and "blind" went out of my head. Had a few goes quite recently and whilst my feet and board are getting round to blind my upper body isn't - clearly I am just scared of the commitment! I really have wimped out of learning blind.... maybe this afternoon, forecast to be a nice gentle 12m session so let's see.

Thanks Christian for the vid link, quite useful to see the "wrong" way as well as the right way.
ronnie

Here's another good video.

http://vimeo.com/27215382#at=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lucie

^^ Nice, and on goofy tack :D perfect. Off to the beach now.
lucie

Ok, I officially suck at blind! Might take fins off my spare Toyboy and just swoosh round to blind instead of popping. See if that's any easier. Did try today with fins on with very limited success!

Stuck in a rut ATM really. Learnt soooo much stuff last year and this year haven't achieved any of my goals (surface passes, s-bends, blind). Am properly rubbish! Although on the plus side not pushing myself means I have been injury free for a year now!!!
gudge

When I do it , it's just feels Like riding toe side with the kite going the opposite direction, that probably doesn't help but its another way of looking at it.
ronnie

How about...

Set the kite to ride unhooked.
Start riding toeside.
Do a surface pass and face backward.
Once set, turn to look forward.
lucie

Hmmm. Not sure my head could cope with that, Ronnie. I did say my spatial skills were limited. Think I will go with riding finless at some point soon, should be fun.

On a positive note, had a quick hour on the water this evening and landed 4 unhooked fronts and one s bend! Happy me :)
ronnie

If you have your left hand 1" from the powerline when toeside and pass it to your right hand so your right hand grabs the 1" bit and keep your weight on the board the same you would then be riding blind.

You could practice passing the bar standing in shallow water while facing away from the kite?

Doesn't help the pop to blind but could help everything else.
lucie

Ahhh..... Thank you for further explanation!
dan09
Antispam: No

Lucie, I can help with this.
It really is very simple. When going along, head off the wind by ten degrees, bring the kite to the 11 o'clock position, bend your legs in preparation for the pop, then count out loud, ONE, TWO, THREE and then shout WAKESTYLE!!!!!

That's all there is to it.
The above method was how I learnt it. It should work for you too.
Best of luck with it.
lucie

Dan, that is awesome advice! Made me laugh, but if I find some flat water this weekend (off to Devon so who knows!) I will definitely try it! Thanks for the advice and the grins :)
Johnny T

i finally got this today, after ages trying on and off. the best tip someone gave me was to use the arm you take off the bar, and swing it around you to get the rotation,

well happy once i got it spend most of the day riding backwards not looking where i was going, :-D