Unhooking

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
mike s
Antispam: No

Hi guys, was looking for a bit of advise on unhooking, mainly how much does the kite need trimmed?
I fly North Vegas's off a 2012 bar, i normally ride on the 2nd knot up from the bottom on the steering lines.
I have tried trimming the all the way, but the kite has very little power when i unhook. i have tried pulling an inch at a time on the trim with various out comes from having the bar ripped out of my hands, being pulled off my edge and downwind and back to not enough power to do anything!
I have the Progression advanced DVD, it says to set the kite up with equal tension in the front and back lines, how do i know when the line tension is the same?
All advise will be gratefully received!

Cheers,
Mike
Dragnfly

I'm not an expert, but I'd say trim it so you can ride comfortably hooked in with the bar pulled all the way in, and enough to make sure the kite doesn't stall when the bar is pulled all the way in.
waverider

mike s wrote: I have the Progression advanced DVD, it says to set the kite up with equal tension in the front and back lines, how do i know when the line tension is the same?
When the bar is pulled up to the chicken loop the front lines and rear lines are equal, you then adjust the trim for how much power you can cope with. Riding unhooked means either hanging on or releasing to suicide, sounds as if you may not be ready if you can't figure this out for yourself. It's bloody dangerous to you and to others around you when you are rigged for suicide so keep clear.
kingofthewind

Put your Vegas into new school setting. This will help for unhooked tricks.
vaineh

just because you're riding unhooked doesn't mean you have to have a suicide setup. let go of the bar and let it flag onto the fifth and then just recover as you would if you'd released.
fdvj

mike s wrote:Hi guys, was looking for a bit of advise on unhooking, mainly how much does the kite need trimmed?
I fly North Vegas's off a 2012 bar, i normally ride on the 2nd knot up from the bottom on the steering lines.
I have tried trimming the all the way, but the kite has very little power when i unhook. i have tried pulling an inch at a time on the trim with various out comes from having the bar ripped out of my hands, being pulled off my edge and downwind and back to not enough power to do anything!
I have the Progression advanced DVD, it says to set the kite up with equal tension in the front and back lines, how do i know when the line tension is the same?
All advise will be gratefully received!

Cheers,
Mike

The correct amount of trim it best found by trimming the kite to what you think is good and then while hooked in pull the bar all the way in and keep it in and check that this is the amount of power you need or can handle. Then try this level of trim while unhooking and riding for a short period on an edge before releasing the tension in the lines by riding down wind and hooking back in. If the bar is getting ripped out of your hands you are on a too big kite or the conditions are not stable enough for learning this in.
When you find yourself being dragged down wind get used to riding at the kite to loose tension or grabbing the cl and dropping the bar. All this advice is based on the assumption that he is is happening while on the water if it happened midair you have to hang on.
mike s

Cheers all!
paulie_amoose

vaineh wrote:just because you're riding unhooked doesn't mean you have to have a suicide setup. let go of the bar and let it flag onto the fifth and then just recover as you would if you'd released.
I would personally go for the "suicide" setup on the Vegas, set the bar up with the full throw and use the "suicide" ring. If you drop the bar then recovery will be much much easier than resetting re-ride each time. With the full bar throw the kite depowers alot and you dont get pulled much. Plus, you can activate the safety still when hooked in on the suicide ring...
waverider

I just assume that unhooked riders go suicide on the basis of a possible recovery whereas rigging for a safety release whilst much safer for everyone around usually means going back to shore.

A question I forgot to ask you Mike, how many kites do you have ? Do you have a kite for every wind condition ? You're going to find it very difficult for unhooked with any kite if you're using a 12 when a 10 the correct kite.
Last edited by waverider on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike s

I have 7 and 10m Vegas's, but my friend owns a kite school and i have access to all sizes. So yes,i have kites for all conditions!
I am looking to learn unhooked tricks not strapless. So far all i can manage is unhooked backrolls!
Most of our beaches have a lot of run off and very few people kiting, setting up suicide is not a problem when you have half a mile downwind!
@Waverider, i am looking for advise, not a row about how safe suicide set up is!
waverider

mike s wrote: @Waverider, i am looking for advise, not a row about how safe suicide set up is!
Sorry, I didn't intend it to sound like this. I'm always a bit concerned after having riders trying unhooked upwind of me and mostly loosing it.

I have to edit my post because I typed strapless when I meant unhooked.

Trying to be helpful here and I don't mind taking a telling if I'm I'm approaching it in a prickly-way. Sorry.
mike s

no worries dude, cheers!
Superman

Walk in the shallows (bout knee depth) in lightish wind for the kite and have a play, unhooking, hooking back in, relaunching etc

Then grab you board and do the same thing close in.

You will probabily find the the trim will need to be pulled in about half,thats what most peps seem to go for.
mike s

Cheers dude!
Sammiye

Superman wrote:You will probabily find the the trim will need to be pulled in about half,thats what most peps seem to go for.
No.

If you're on the right size kite for the wind, you wont need to trim at all with the Vegas if your bar is set up right. Which it should be if its 2012. You shouldn't need to trim at all unless you're super juiced.

Just ride toward the kite, unhook, throw trick, land toward the kite. hook back in. If you're edging while unhooking, you'll feel like you have too much power. You dont. Just ride toward the kite.