Unhooking

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
peet

With practice you'll get to be able to trim a kite just by looking at the lines and the shape of the kite.

Go out on a day where the kite will sit in the sky quite happily. Sit the kite stationary in the window, but maybe not directly above you.
1. Set your trimmer to full power and push the bar out as far as it goes.
2. Your rear lines should look slack, and have an arc to them, and your front lines should be going straight to the kite, with very little slack.
3. Pull the bar toward you and watch the rear lines tighten and you'll see the angle of the kite change, there will be a point where they all look tensioned, here it will be trimmed correctly.
4. If you pull the bar in too far, the kite back of the kite may pinch or the shape of it will generally distort. The kite may also fall backward into the window. From this point onwards your rear lines are shorter than the front and your kite won't fly properly.
5. sheet back out again so that you are at the position you found in 3. depower your kite via the trim strap so that the lines look the same as in 3. with the bar pulled all the way down to the chicken loop.
6. Your kite will now generate maximum power for unhooking. You can of course depower it further than this for unhooking when marginally overpowered. For stronger winds, change down a size.

It's all covered pretty well here:
http://www.iksurfmag.com/issue5/?t=Kit- ... ue&page=37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With your kite setup like this, it may feel very strange when riding normally, as to get full power from the kite you'll need to have the bar pressed against the chicken loop - which may feel uncomfortable.

Some kites (Hadlow especially) have large distances from the bottom of the chicken loop to the bottom of the de-power line, so that you can ride quite comfortably with your kite setup like this; For the vegas I think the distance is reasonably far also.
If it does feel uncomfortable you can ride with your normal trim, then adjust it to the setting above prior to unhooking.

With that sorted it's all down to your unhooking technique :)
mike s
Antispam: No

Cheers Peet, sound advice
mike s

thanks again all, def getting the hang of it. put my 10m into the freestyle setting and found i only had to pull 2-3 inches of trim.
i was def over trimming at the start, leaving me with no power to do anything!
getting some nice backrolls in now with the kite low :-D
any suggestions for easy tricks to learn now?
Dragnfly

Railey of course. Crypt (railey to toeside), back roll/ front roll, pop landing blind, railey to blind, surface passes,
Etc etc.
Apologies of it is raley, not railey - I can never decide?
Pippi Langsamer

I'm looking at getting into unhooking too.

I ride 2010 Naish Cults, and they have the below the bar depower of course, with that handy tab with reinforced ringlet to allow you to attach your leash to the end of the depower rope.

I've never actually released to this, but I assume releasing to this will pull a good percentage of depower rope out? I know it won't enable the kite to depower 100%, but it should depower it enough for me to re-set myself after dropping the bar whilst unhooked?

Any Naish riders out there regularly use this attachment method?
james

it will work just as you suggest and is a decent half way house between suicide and normal flag out leashing.
Pippi Langsamer

james wrote:it will work just as you suggest and is a decent half way house between suicide and normal flag out leashing.
Cool. Look forward to trying it out.